Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I do think it's hard to try and parse what journo's know what (if any of them know anything). But these past few days have definitely seen a shift in tone, if not in actual figures. Immediately after the season ended we heard the 100-150m figure. Who knows how accurate this was, or whether it did or did not include player sales.

Personally I feel like the club is erring on the side of (relative) caution. A budget of 75-100m, meaning instead of 4-5, it's actually 2-3 high quality first 11 ready additions, alongside a resolve to keep the likes of ASM. 

New shirt deal is worth £25m (less what we have to pay FUN88), EPL finish is worth £37.4m (£15m more than we received last year), and then there is the Champions League payouts (55% of which is performance based w/ the other 45% coming from our performance over 10 year period (we are probably pretty low among the 32 teams), and television contracts (which are probably still being worked out).  Also, if FFP is based on the last three years, we probably had a surplus 3 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Back to being the only team worried about FFP I see

compared to the teams around us we're competing with now - we don't create half as much commercial revenue as they do.  Man U is a global brand with their fingers in a lot of pies, hell they even have a range of Man U Tractors somewhere, Liverpool are also massive with a few seasons europe / CL money etc now and we all know when Man City do.

We're just not anywhere near them in terms of incoming yet.

'3-4' is perfect tbh. There's only a couple positions where we're weak significantly when the first-choice is out and there's only a couple of positions I think we need a big upgrade in the starting line-up. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

'3-4' is perfect tbh. There's only a couple positions where we're weak significantly when the first-choice it out and there's only a couple of positions I think we need a big upgrade in the starting line-up. 

If it is 3 or 4 top quality players, I'm all for it!

2 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

5 would be perfect.

LB, CB, 2 midfielders and a Forward/Winger.

I think if we get a left-back, that sorts the CB situation by Burn becoming first backup CB, Lascelles second backup and Targett staying backup left-back. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think if we get a left-back, that sorts the CB situation by Burn becoming first backup CB, Lascelles 4th and Targett staying backup left-back. 

Quite possibly, it's Lascelles that worries me it's such a massive drop off.

Edited by Alberto2005

Only ever thought it was going to be 3-4 signings tbh and I'll be very happy with that. A lite overhaul was never going to happen.

Mentioned before about the similarities between our playstyle and trajectory between ourselves and early Klopp Liverpool; after they finished 4th in 2016-17 they only made 4 summer signings: Salah, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Solanke. Van Dijk came in the January window. Similar will happen to us imo.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Old article but talks about two or three signings here.

Though the Newcastle boss admits the plan this summer is still to target 'marquee' additions - in a similar fashion to Isak's arrival last summer. “Yes, there would be players we’d love to bring in that would be classified in that bracket [as a marquee signing], I’m sure," he said.

“For me, it’s more about the role they can fulfil in the team – whether that’s viewed positively or as a marquee signing, then great. I’m not in my mind thinking, ‘We have to have one of those players that ticks that box for the supporters’. As much as I’d love to do that, it’s about finding the right player in the right position who I think makes us better.”

There is no doubt Newcastle will be stronger by the time the 2023/24 campaign rolls around. The only question revolves around whether Howe sticks to his guns regarding two or three new, top-class additions - or whether the need to strengthen away from the starting XI becomes apparent as the window progresses.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/eddie-howe-dan-ashworths-summer-26999063.amp

I think it will be three for the starting eleven and another two youngsters that will stay with the squad to develop. I also think ASM will go as part of the overhaul.

Edited by Matt1892

If we can get 3 top players in and somehow work a bit of magic by selling players, leaving us some wriggle room for another one, that would be great.

2 defenders, left back and centre back.

2 midfielders, one attacking and one more defensive minded.

Tierney

Kim Minge Aye [emoji38]

Maddison

Lavia

Something like this.

Just remember, other clubs might sign 8 players and do nothing in January, where as we are just as liable to sign a player in January.