Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest neesy111

Sad. Genuinely jealous of those who followed football in the 80s. Apart from the ones who died.

You're black right? Did you ever go to a game in the 80's? From older people I know, it was nothing to miss.

He's the opposite.

Sad. Genuinely jealous of those who followed football in the 80s. Apart from the ones who died.

You're black right? Did you ever go to a game in the 80's? From older people I know, it was nothing to miss.

:lol:

Aside from the hooliganism and occasional racism, it was a far better experience than today. Not sure when to pinpoint when it started to decline but it wouldn't be long after Sky came in.

Aside from the hooliganism and occasional racism, it was a far better experience than today. Not sure when to pinpoint when it started to decline but it wouldn't be long after Sky came in.

Guest firetotheworks

It's easy to forget just how much of an extraordinary, exciting player Ronaldinho was to watch, like. Probably the best thing about him for me was that he'd often get himself into tight situations, but he'd find a way out of it, usually by putting a defender on his arse. For a few years he was just an absolute joy to watch.

He's the opposite.

:lol: Neesy is right, I'm 255, 255, 255.

But aye, isn't rally the racism I'm jealous of, sorry.

Guest firetotheworks

The thought of someone thinking that FS is black. It happens all the time on here, like. I'm sure someone thought I was Korean or something at some point.

According to black football fans I know - it wasn't occasional and put many off attending games for like.

it's not really acceptable to dismiss it as "except for the racism it were great". So fuck the 80's.

Somewhat inclined to agree based purely on the people I've spoken to - not being alive for most of the 80s myself.

My cousin for example told me it was horrific following Bolton in the 80s.  The racism was shite too, and more unceasing than occasional.

I don't think that's what Incognito was driving at mind you. He was just saying if you take away that horrible element, football was better then. He wasn't seeking to trivialise it I don't think.

According to black football fans I know - it wasn't occasional and put many off attending games for like.

it's not really acceptable to dismiss it as "except for the racism it were great". So fuck the 80's.

Not my point in the slightest. Racism at football and hooliganism still exists at the game in this day and age. It is as unacceptable then as it is now. That's why I put it in that context.

The fact is , a winter game, as football is, is far more conducive to standing and since standing isn't allowed anymore then it isn't as enjoyable.

Plus in this day and age the modern stadia aren't as good for atmosphere.

it's not really acceptable to dismiss it as "except for the racism it were great". So f*** the 80's.

Somewhat inclined to agree based purely on the people I've spoken to - not being alive for most of the 80s myself.

My cousin for example told me it was horrific following Bolton in the 80s.  The racism was s**** too, and more unceasing than occasional.

I don't think that's what Incognito was driving at mind you. He was just saying if you take away that horrible element, football was better then. He wasn't seeking to trivialise it I don't think.

Fair enough if that wasn't his intent.

But you can't really do that can you? Ignore all the negatives and only recognise the positive. By the same token, modern day football is great, you can bring the entire family, won't even have to fear being racially abused. Ignore the shit atmosphere and high ticket prices and it's the best time to be a football fan.

But I agree - standing - anything to improve atmosphere at top level games would be great. But seriously, fuck the 80's.

it's not really acceptable to dismiss it as "except for the racism it were great". So f*** the 80's.

My cousin for example told me it was horrific following Bolton in the 80s.  The racism was s**** too, and more unceasing than occasional.

Fair enough if that wasn't his intent.

But you can't really do that can you? Ignore all the negatives and only recognise the positive. By the same token, modern day football is great, you can bring the entire family, won't even have to fear being racially abused. Ignore the shit atmosphere and high ticket prices and it's the best time to be a football fan.

But I agree - standing - anything to improve atmosphere at top level games would be great. But seriously, fuck the 80's.

Read my post above instead of guessing my intent.  I'm not trivializing racism or hooliganism.  Unfortunately it is still relevant today. Hooliganism not so much granted.

The main differences between the 80s and now are:

In them days there wasn't the saturation of football on the telly. One live game at best a week. Generally midweek highlights even for Internationals at times.  It made going to the game an event.

Two, the advent of flat pack and out of town stadia to replace ageing grounds. I'm a traditionalist. The likes of St James Park and the like piss all over the Riversides of this world. Too many decent stadia were ripped down. Atmosphere was a million times better.

And three, the ability to stand.  Clearly something had to be done after Hillsborough, but rather than put a blanket ban on standing, the Government of the day should have gone to town on the policing of that event. We know why they didn't but the game of football lost out because of it. It is the major reason these flat pack shit stadia came to be in the first place.

The hooliganism, as bad as it was, was something that you knew how to keep away from if you so wanted.  The racism however wasn't.  Black players got shocking abuse from certain clubs supporters on a regular basis.  Our own supporters indeed were culprits in this.