Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

I'd be curious to see any list of the top five players in the last thirty years that didn't include Ronaldinho - but then I can't be trusted, because I wouldn't have CR7 in my top three.

In regards to the last bit, how and why? He's #1 or #2. There is absolutely no denying it at this stage. :lol:

Speaking of lists like this, do 90s strikers just seem romantically better than any other time, or were they genuinely great? You had Ronaldo, Shearer, Batistuta, Bierhoff, Raul, Kluivert, Suker, Vieri, Weah, etc all at their best at the same time.

I look at some of the strike forces during France 98 for example are immense.

Speaking of lists like this, do 90s strikers just seem romantically better than any other time, or were they genuinely great? You had Ronaldo, Shearer, Batistuta, Bierhoff, Raul, Kluivert, Suker, Vieri, Weah, etc all at their best at the same time.

I look at some of the strike forces during France 98 for example are immense.

Defenders weren't as good and neither were managers tactically.

Is that true though? You had the likes of Campbell, Costacurta, Hierro, Desailly, Stam at the top nations who were as good of not better than anything we have today, even the likes of Scotland had Hendry who was quality.

They are standouts, and would make it in today's game, most simply wouldn't (same for most 90s players)

Everuthing has moved on, you'd have top class defenders like Tony Adams drunk 5 days a week and boss it with a hangover, now it's fitness, data analysts, dietitions etc...Shearers professionalism and training set him apart from others and it milked his talent to max capacity, that is thr rule these days not the exception.

Players just weren't as good back then, and go back further, thry lose their edge simply as the base standard of thr athlete is much higher today than yesteryear.

It's probably to do with the out and out typical number 9 not being deployed as often, going back to the 90's you had almost every side lining up with at least 1 and possibly even 2 in their side. These days you're lucky if a side plays with 1, as far as world class ones now you're probably looking at Aguero, Kane and Lewandowski.

I'd be curious to see any list of the top five players in the last thirty years that didn't include Ronaldinho - but then I can't be trusted, because I wouldn't have CR7 in my top three.

In regards to the last bit, how and why? He's #1 or #2. There is absolutely no denying it at this stage. :lol:

Pretty comfortable putting CR7 after both real Ronaldo and Little Ronaldo.

Longevity becomes an issue. I don’t care.

CR7 is comfortable the GOAT. look at the numbers. the trophies. the goals in the champions league which is the biggest club competition. oh and carried Portugal to 2 international trophies. he has won the league in Portugal,england, spain & Italy.

it isn't even close.

CR7 is comfortable the GOAT. look at the numbers. the trophies. the goals in the champions league which is the biggest club competition. oh and carried Portugal to 2 international trophies. he has won the league in Portugal,england, spain & Italy.

it isn't even close.

He definitely didn't carry Portugal to the European cup, total reinvention of history.

it isn't even close.

Euro 2016 (where they won only 1 game in 90 mins, and the final after he went off injured), and what other international tournament?

it isn't even close.

I'm a Ronaldo fanboy, and have no time at all for Messi. However, even I know that Messi is "probably" better.

All I'm saying on this :lol:

it isn't even close.

Euro 2016 (where they won only 1 game in 90 mins, and the final after he went off injured), and what other international tournament?

still won it though. he scored the goals in the group stages when it counted.

Portugal won the first Nations League were the GOAT blossomed on the big stage once again.

it isn't even close.

Portugal won the first Nations League were the GOAT blossomed on the big stage once again.

But didn't carry them in the Euros.

it isn't even close.

Scored two goals and 1 assist against Hungary where if they lost they were out. scored in the semi final. went off injured in the final and managed the team from the sidelines.

it isn't even close.

Scored two goals and 1 assist against Hungary where if they lost they were out. scored in the semi final. went off injured in the final and managed the team from the sidelines.

So he didn't carry them.

it isn't even close.

So he didn't carry them.

He MANAGED THEM man.

it isn't even close.

So he didn't carry them.

He MANAGED THEM man.

I heard he built the stadium too.