Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest neesy111

Not enough Rivaldo in the La Liga XI imo, although that's almost certainly childhood bias. Absolutely loved him :lol:

That hat-trick vs Valencia. :megusta:

Ivanovic has a decent shot at RB.

For me.. due to longevity, I would have Rio, Crazy Campbell & Terry ahead of both of those personally. Only caught the tail end of Adams career but have a hard time believing he was better than Terry.

Adams was shocking until 1990ish despite him being captain of the champions on a couple of oçcasions. After he got put away and came out publicly as an alcoholic , his football improved tenfold and it seemed to happen really quickly too. So before his improvement you'd have to say he wasn't in Terry's league but after he certainly was. Better? At certain things definitely.  They were both inspirational leaders, Adams quicker and probably better on the deck.  Pretty equivalent aerially but Terry more dangerous from set pieces. All in all too close to call.

Better on the deck?  Think this is where Terry is under rated. A great passing range with both feet. 

Not enough Rivaldo in the La Liga XI imo, although that's almost certainly childhood bias. Absolutely loved him :lol:

Nah, Rivaldo was insane. But the others in my list are better imho. I'd have him over Ronaldinho though.

Fucking La Liga with Rivaldo - Romario - Ronaldinho on the bench behind Messi - Ronaldo - CRonaldo.

La Liga - where would Hierro rank?

He was in the running, but at the end of the day I think there's been better players in his best positions (CB/DM) so I left him out. Would make my bench for sure, though. He was amazing in deadball situations, had great passing range, and as a presence in the pitch, his leadership unrivaled. Him and Pujol are probably the best captains Real Madrid and Barça have had in the modern era.

It might be that I always preferred Sanchís to him. Sanchís was such a silky defender, Hierro was rougher. I almost had Sanchís in place of Ramos, but can't really argue with Ramos' clutch goals in big games.

I'd have Redondo over Busquets and Iniesta has been far more consistent in La Liga than Zidane ever was. Half of the time it felt like Zidane was just going through the motions for Real.

I'd have Redondo over Busquets and Iniesta has been far more consistent in La Liga than Zidane ever was. Half of the time it felt like Zidane was just going through the motions for Real.

Yeah, Zidane would never have made my list going off his La Liga's performances only, but he was always great in Europe, and carried them there in many occasions. He was the epitome of a big game player. But that inconsistency is also the reason why I'm split between him and Iniesta.

Good point about Redondo.

Ivanovic has a decent shot at RB.

For me.. due to longevity, I would have Rio, Crazy Campbell & Terry ahead of both of those personally. Only caught the tail end of Adams career but have a hard time believing he was better than Terry.

Adams was shocking until 1990ish despite him being captain of the champions on a couple of oçcasions. After he got put away and came out publicly as an alcoholic , his football improved tenfold and it seemed to happen really quickly too. So before his improvement you'd have to say he wasn't in Terry's league but after he certainly was. Better? At certain things definitely.  They were both inspirational leaders, Adams quicker and probably better on the deck.  Pretty equivalent aerially but Terry more dangerous from set pieces. All in all too close to call.

Better on the deck?  Think this is where Terry is under rated. A great passing range with both feet. 

Yes, better on the deck.

To clarify, before his conviction, Adams was an error strewn mess, prone to miskicks and everything. He was still an England international and captain of a Championship winning side, but he was known as Donkey for a reason :lol:

After he came back, he improved at a rapid rate, unrecognisable in my opinion in every facet of the game.

Guest palnese

What about your favourite ever XI, eh?

Given

Bratseth

Woodgate

Coloccini

Beckham

Mykland

Zidane

Ben Arfa

Messi

Shearer

Carroll

Thorstvedt, Enrique, Real Ronaldo, Xavi, Gerrard, Fjørtoft, Speed

Guest Howaythetoon

My world XI since I've been watching footy would be...

Buffon

Lahm

Maldini

Lucio

Cafu

Figo

Zidane

Xavi

Giggs

Messi

C.Ronaldo

Guest firetotheworks

Best I've seen

Buffon

Dani Alves

Baresi

Nesta

Maldini

Xavi

Iniesta

Zidane

Messi

Ronaldo

C.Ronaldo

Guest firetotheworks

Favourite would be something like

Buffon

Dani Alves

Maldini

Ben Arfa

Xavi

Zidane

Ginola

Beardsley

Messi

Ronaldo

Henry

Imagine the amount of work Maldini would have to do.

Guest firetotheworks

Pretty sure best XIs always come up eventually during summer transfer windows without tournaments. Mine probably changes slightly every time as well.

What about greatest Champions League era XI - only judging players based on their exploits in that competition.

Players like Kroos, Kaka, Ronaldinho & Raul would rank higher than they would in their leagues perhaps. Would like to limit the club/team representatives - quickly becomes Barca - Real - Milan

Van Der Sar

Alves Ramos Maldini Pessotto (just didn't want to go Carlos or another Bayern player.. think Marcelo has a good shout for being above Carlos as well)

Kroos Scholes Seedorf

Ronaldinho Raul Shevchenko

Casillas, Carlos, Xavi/Iniesta, Zidane maybe, obviously Messi & Cronaldo would normally get in but it would be boring otherwise. Kaka was the man in that mid 00's side iirc, had him ahead of Seedorf at first. But I think of these types of players when I think about the CL and its recent history.

I'm bored.