Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

In Gaelic football they have black cards where for a cynical foul, the person who has committed it is sent off but his team can make a sub, that would be a interesting thing to introduce in football, might end up with less Colback on the pitch :lol:

they'd run out of subs tbh. Not a big fan of the black card system personally

I thought these European pre season friendlies and local derbies were a bad idea at first but seeing the players actually celebrate and take it seriously has made me rethink things. The levels have increased drastically.

Guest firetotheworks

Football feels like it's really rapidly up its game in becoming everything we feared it would be like. Being lead out by Ronald McDonald, man. That should be a David Squires segment on it, not the reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/25/premier-league-best-match-liverpool-newcastle-april-1996

I didn't really want to read this, but I skipped through it and did find this lovely final para which is oft missed in the normal comments

Keegan, at least in his managerial guise, is still painted as a loser by … well, losers, the sort of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. He won no major trophy, sure, but medals are not the be-all and end-all, and just look at the glorious legacy he left behind. One of the Premier League’s most memorable teams; one of the Premier League’s most fondly remembered title races; the Premier League’s greatest and most significant ding-dong battle. You have to be a bit special to do that. The man is a hero. History will be kind.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/25/premier-league-best-match-liverpool-newcastle-april-1996

I didn't really want to read this, but I skipped through it and did find this lovely final para which is oft missed in the normal comments

Keegan, at least in his managerial guise, is still painted as a loser by … well, losers, the sort of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. He won no major trophy, sure, but medals are not the be-all and end-all, and just look at the glorious legacy he left behind. One of the Premier League’s most memorable teams; one of the Premier League’s most fondly remembered title races; the Premier League’s greatest and most significant ding-dong battle. You have to be a bit special to do that. The man is a hero. History will be kind.

Fantastic piece of writing that.

Guest firetotheworks

I was talking to a Man United fan at a wedding on Saturday about 95/96 and he agreed with it often being more about the talking points that shape how things are remembered. Us in 95/96, Gerrard's slip etc, but he couldn't resist with 'you'd rather have the title though wouldn't you?' :lol: Prick. Nah, he knew his stuff tbf, we had a good talk about football over the years and he made a couple of interesting points. Arsenal were their best rivals, 2011 Barca is the best team they ever played by a mile, and the team that won the title right at the end of Fergie's reign was probably the worst team to have won the title.

Guest firetotheworks

I spoke to a Man Utd fan recently and he didn't even know that we lost out to them for the title. Hope I concealed my reaction.

:lol: Imagine not knowing you'd won a title.

I spoke to a Man Utd fan recently and he didn't even know that we lost out to them for the title. Hope I concealed my reaction.

He was my age or older as well, maybe he used to live abroad or something. I couldn't say anything further :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He was my age or older as well, maybe he used to live abroad or something. I couldn't say anything further :lol:

That's pitiful like. Being a proper fan of a club with people like that everywhere must be a proper nightmare for your own credibility. We've had horse punching and buoycuotts, but they're still way less embarrassing than one of your brethren not realising when you'd won the league.