Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

I think that's always been a myth, but it was a fair argument to an extent until recently because it was difficult to disprove. Messi dragged Argentina to the WC knockout stages and even more so with a hat-trick to get them to this year's WC. Barca are now nowhere near the team they were, but you can still guarantee that he'll be involved in their clutch moments.

Dragged ? How many times has Ronaldo done that, remember Sweden?

?

I'm responding to a post saying that Messi relies on having better players around him. I didn't say Ronaldo hasn't dragged his team, just saying that Messi has.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whenever I’ve seen Messi for Argentina he’s always played diffrently even when scoring or creating, looking a different player to what he is with Barca hence some of the criticism when he plays for his county. Ronaldo, however, plays the same way when playing for Portugal and if not better at times.

Guest firetotheworks

I think that's always been a myth, but it was a fair argument to an extent until recently because it was difficult to disprove. Messi dragged Argentina to the WC knockout stages and even more so with a hat-trick to get them to this year's WC. Barca are now nowhere near the team they were, but you can still guarantee that he'll be involved in their clutch moments.

That what always going to be difficult - look at them now.... miles ahead of Madrid and comfortably ahead of At.Madrid. They're still matching the overall standards.

As for Argentia, he's still not quite there, imo. Also, Ronaldo dragged Portugal to the Euro's with a hat-rick against Sweden.

Just watch Barca and you can see they're not the same, they're miles ahead for a variety of reasons, but it's definitely not because they're as dominant as they were from say 2008-2014.

:thup: re Ronaldo. I was just saying that Messi has dragged Argentina and Barca, not that Ronaldo hasn't.

Guest firetotheworks

Whenever I’ve seen Messi for Argentina he’s always played diffrently even when scoring or creating, looking a different player to what he is with Barca hence some of the criticism when he plays for his county. Ronaldo, however, plays the same way when playing for Portugal and if not better at times.

When did you last see him play for Argentina? He was incredible in the qualifiers last year.

That what always going to be difficult - look at them now.... miles ahead of Madrid and comfortably ahead of At.Madrid. They're still matching the overall standards.

As for Argentia, he's still not quite there, imo. Also, Ronaldo dragged Portugal to the Euro's with a hat-rick against Sweden.

Just watch Barca and you can see they're not the same, they're miles ahead for a variety of reasons, but it's definitely not because they're as dominant as they were from say 2008-2014.

:thup: re Ronaldo. I was just saying that Messi has dragged Argentina and Barca, not that Ronaldo hasn't.

Is he matching the standards of the years before? You could argue that other variables, such as age might play a part now. But still, I'm sure he's not 'dragging' Barca to 3 points every week.

The argument that Inestia and Xavi etc, with the club's philosophy over the past 10 or so years of making him the vocal point of their playing style and success, is still a powerful and observant one. You don't need stats to see that sort of things. (Actually, it's a phenomena that you cant quantify, frankly.) 

Guest firetotheworks

Is he matching the standards of the years before? You could argue that other variables, such as age might play a part now. But still, I'm sure he's not 'dragging' Barca to 3 points every week.

The argument that Inestia and Xavi etc, with the club's philosophy over the past 10 or so years of making him the vocal point of their playing style and success, is still a powerful and observant one. You don't need stats to see that sort of things. (Actually, it's a phenomena that you cant quantify, frankly.)

Just watch them if you haven't, he's still as good and effective but Barca as a whole aren't the same team they were. That's the whole point really. I didn't say he's dragging them to 3 points every week [emoji38] I said he's dragged Argentina and that he's nearly always involved in Barca's clutch moments.

Messi obviously has the edge as a player, but in regards to likeability, Ronaldo is fucking awful IMO. Messi has every excuse in the world to be a diver, but he's not, it's not in his character, not only is he the greatest player in the world he's also a fair player. Ronaldo on the other hand is a diving, whiny, girly girl, regularly pretending to cry. I can't stand that shit.

Messi obviously has the edge as a player, but in regards to likeability, Ronaldo is f***ing awful IMO. Messi has every excuse in the world to be a diver, but he's not, it's not in his character, not only is he the greatest player in the world he's also a fair player. Ronaldo on the other hand is a diving, whiny, girly girl, regularly pretending to cry. I can't stand that s***.

:frantic: :jesuswept: really think you will find he has countless amounts of times

Just watch them if you haven't, he's still as good and effective but Barca as a whole aren't the same team they were. That's the whole point really. I didn't say he's dragging them to 3 points every week [emoji38] I said he's dragged Argentina and that he's nearly always involved in Barca's clutch moments.

I know you didn't, but you mentioned that he dragged Argentina to the WC (and the hat-rick game), which really doesn't invalidate the notion that, for many years week in and week out, he had the likes of Iniesta and Xavi around him and that they were a great help to him rising to be what he is.

Him scoring a hat-rick against Ecuador is a great achievement considering the context, but it's still sort of a one-off example. It's not the 'normal' (match-to-match) picture of what Messi is. (ie, he doesn't drag teams to three points every week - nobody does), but a more obvious (not-exhaustive) description of Messi's effectiveness is: Iniesta, Xavi, etc.

It's clearly prevalent to what Messi is and what he's done over the years. It made him what he is now a lot more than those one-off world class performances where he dragged his teams to victory. (Which I still  think it's relatively limited, as it's always been easy to get over excited when he's performing magnificently and thus forgetting about everyone else.)

Ok my source is shakey. But 4 are correct.  Not sure the other 2 I’ve got have 2 finals goals.

Me? Pretty sure they all scored twice

Messi - 09 +13

Eto - 06 + 09

Ronaldo - 08 + 14 + 17

Mandzukic - 13 + 17

Ramos - 14 + 16

The way Messi dominated the Clasico last spring was just something else. I love watching C.Ronaldo, he's an absolute beast of a player, but I've never seen him dominate a game like Messi did there (and have done on plenty other occasions). What Messi lacks in heading ability, he more than makes up for with his passing, flair, dribbling and vision to make him a much better player than Ronaldo IMO.