Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Yashin's generally regarded as the GOAT like. Absolutely no idea what he was like though.

Guest Howaythetoon

De Gea's the best PL goalkeeper.

Ever? He’s the best at the moment, but the Great Dane was much better.

De Gea is better than Schmeichel was imo. De Gea might be the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen.  Commands his box. Great with his feet, Schmeichel played in an era when that was less important.  The Dane seemed moe likely to save penas and score goals.

Of course Peter played in a better team and his big moments accounted in bigger trophies. 

Buffoon’s longevity marks him as the best I’ve seen. No hidden weaknesses exposed. Not overly reliant on reflexes.  Demands of the modern game never got the better of him.

You don’t want to go out like Casillas.  Feel like Schmeichel was shit at Villa iirc.

De Gea is better than Schmeichel was imo. De Gea might be the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen.  Commands his box. Great with his feet, Schmeichel played in an era when that was less important.  The Dane seemed moe likely to save penas and score goals.

Did you even see Schmeichel play?

:iamatwat:

If Ederson keeps up his debut season he may be the better keeper than De Gea I reckon. De Gea is a faultless shot stopper but Ederson complements his team so well and allows them to push up. I may be wrong but haven't seen him make a significant mistake.

Guest firetotheworks

This is the only conclusion to be drawn here like. De Gea is categorically not better than Schmeichel was, like. Absolutely nowhere near.

This is the only conclusion to be drawn here like. De Gea is categorically not better than Schmeichel was, like. Absolutely nowhere near.

hm, not sure that's true personally...not as good but he's very fucking good

So wait.. De Gea isn't a better shot-stopper and passer of the ball?

Schmeichel's impact might only be superseded by Ederson in the PL. At the time he was the most comfortable with the introduction of the backpass rule. He was a key part in a dominant side. Ability wise, he commanded his box better/dealt with aerial balls better. But that was a bigger part of goalkeeping in his era.

FWIW I don't think either goalkeeper looks as good if they swap era's and Man United teams.

I didn't see Schmeichel at his best but I'm not sure how De Gea can be absolutely nowhere near another keeper in terms of quality given he very rarely makes errors and consistently makes unbelievable saves

De Gea's distribution is nowhere near as good as made out. In fact it's a major hindrance to Man United's game. He gives away possession all the time short and long, especially since Mourinho came in. Nowhere near as good as Schmeichel was in that aspect.

He is possibly the greatest shot stopper I've ever seen however. Consistently saves goals some other keepers wouldn't get near to, always clears shots away from the box too.

De Gea's distribution is nowhere near as good as made out. In fact it's a major hindrance to Man United's game. He gives away possession all the time short and long, especially since Mourinho came in. Nowhere near as good as Schmeichel was in that aspect.

He is possibly the greatest shot stopper I've ever seen however. Consistently saves goals some other keepers wouldn't get near to, always clears shots away from the box too.

The demands of having the ball at your feet where so much less in Schmeichel's era. Every football team and coach in the era was brought up with legal backpasses. It took more than a decade for gk's ability on the ball to be a factor in attacking. Being able to pass it under a bit of pressure made you good on the ball in that era.

GK and fullback has changed so much in the last 25 years. Shot stopping is probably the biggest constant factor.

Remember people being in absolute awe of Schmeichel's long throws when he first burst onto the scene. He could release the likes of Giggs really quickly and set up attacks from nothing. Coupled with his outrageous ability to get himself looking huge on a one on one and his ability to organise his back 4 he was outstanding. I'd even go so far as to say he probably revolutionised the position and how's its played.

So wait.. De Gea isn't a better shot-stopper and passer of the ball?

Schmeichel's impact might only be superseded by Ederson in the PL. At the time he was the most comfortable with the introduction of the backpass rule. He was a key part in a dominant side. Ability wise, he commanded his box better/dealt with aerial balls better. But that was a bigger part of goalkeeping in his era.

FWIW I don't think either goalkeeper looks as good if they swap era's and Man United teams.

PYLeHeW.gif

Guest Howaythetoon

There ws not one area of Schmeichel’s game that was even remotely weak, he was a colossus in goal and probably individually won Man Utd the title over us that year because had we beaten them at SJP where he was immense, it was game over. De Gea is a wonderful ‘keeper, their only world-class player IMO, but he would come a huge second to the Dane in any list.

Guest Howaythetoon

Surprised to not hear Oliver Kahn's name in this goalkeeper discussion. He was outstanding, better than some of the names mentioned - as much as I rate De Gea and the likes.

Good shout.

Kahn

Buffon

Mike Hooper

Neville Southall

Dino Zoff

Van Der Sar

Gianluca Pagliuca

Some of my favourite as a young lad flinging myself around between the jumpers on the shitty field.