Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Don't think Everton did until 1995!! Earl Barrett.

Remember a joke on fantasy football about it, also where I know Sonny Pike from.

Everton had Amokachi before that.

“A teenage Championship footballer will come out as gay in a televised interview next week in a bid to tackle the scourge of homophobia in the sport, it has been claimed. 

Seems really bizarre in 2022 that this is news, but here we are.

Also find it crazy that there is only one gay footballer across the world who is ‘out’. Says a lot about the sport.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The 80's! That's wiiiiiild.

We didn’t really get an great influx of other ethnicities until the 1960s Mike really. 

They certainly didn’t settle in Newcastle to start with and I suppose it wouldn’t be until the 80s that a son of a migrant would be old enough to play. 

Like the others have said, it wouldn’t just be true of Newcastle. 

Must have been hard for them though. I remember John Barnes getting inflatable bananas (and maybe even real ones?) chucked at him in a cup final in the 80s.

We gave him some pretty terrible abuse at a game (or few) didn’t we?

But yeah it would have been difficult not just from the abuse they got from the stands but also from the ignorance with in the game itself.

Is racism in football getting worse or are these things just being reported and talked about more?

7 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Is racism in football getting worse or are these things just being reported and talked about more?

Hard to know but suspect it’s a healthy mix of both and will often depend where you are. 

On 13/05/2022 at 09:05, reefatoon said:

Lovely to see, well done Shaka.

Oh and Hayley.........

Gollum.png.833b541ce6b802aa54b3d6c50f72fc43.png

I’m a monster, couldn’t get the phrase “freedom of the titty” out of my head.