Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

3 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Was very obvious we need to replace ASM and Almiron today. Just no end product. 

Point gained as they deserved it more. Good chat with some Brighton fans after, decent club and fans. Wish them well this season. 

Based on today, ASM was more concerning than Almiron. Almiron harried all game and made some good runs, just his delivery let him down. Maxi had a game to forget. I love Maxi but even if Eddie gets the best out of him and gets him playing more for the team, I don’t think he’s ever going to be super consistent game to game. If we do manage to become a top six team we’ll need a player we can really depend on every game, but we’re obviously not at that point yet 

ASM had a typical half good half bad performance for me today, but honestly I thought Wilson stood out as the worst of the 3 and Almiron was impressive at times. Dunk completely dominated Wilson and you could tell they'd got in his head a bit. Everything he did apart from that cross looked off it.

Of course the good thing about Wilson is that he can have games like that where he still scores, unlike the other 2.

Edited by Kid Icarus

21 minutes ago, STM said:

If you are in here saying "played bad", "bad performance", you want to go and look at our performances from a year ago.

Nah, Howe and the players who had a bad day today have shown they can be way better than they were today. Bringing up Bruce-ball now is completely irrelevant.

39 minutes ago, Pata said:

Nah, Howe and the players who had a bad day today have shown they can be way better than they were today. Bringing up Bruce-ball now is completely irrelevant.

A bad day to what standard though?

If this was a "bad day", we are in a great place.

A "bad day" last season was getting done 4-0".

17 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Thought Almiron was decent today. Easily the best of the front 3 

Same. I thought he was one of our better players and was constantly giving them a hard time. Maxi looked dangerous up to a point, then failed to pick out a man time after time.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s just all graft and no guile though. He really shouldn’t be starting for us. 

Sadly this. It was a typical Almiron performance. Gives 110% every week, but no end product.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

I really don't like Brighton. Should be stinking it up in the Champo given their history.

#caveat: I'm jealous of the improvements they've made as a club in recent years. They've come on leaps and bounds. Incredible really.

Well the good news is that we now have the architect of their club’s improvements on our books now.

16 minutes ago, STM said:

A bad day to what standard though?

If this was a "bad day", we are in a great place.

A "bad day" last season was getting done 4-0".

Bad day in the standard Howe has set. It was a good point with a bad performance. I don’t understand why I can’t say that without bringing up how we looked under Bruce.

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Almirón was decent but he just isn't good enough. But the alternative options are no better or worse, need to sort that out in the coming fortnight.

I reckon he's more effective behind a striker where his pressing engine is better used, and his one-footedness is less of a limitation. Can't ever see us playing him there, though.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Bad day in the standard Howe has set. It was a good point with a bad performance. I don’t understand why I can’t say that without bringing up how we looked under Bruce.

OK, that's fine. You have clarified that it's bad by Howes standards.

I don't think you said that in your original post.

In Howes standard it was a bad day. It was a pretty decent day by NUFCs recent standards.

Where is our next step.If it’s to 7th or 8th then I’d say our back 5 today,plus Targett,should be good enough,with Bruno and Wilson.That would leave three positions to be filled with quality players such as Maddison for starters.The other players who started today aren’t good enough nor are Shelvey,Murphy,Longstaff,Fraser,Krafth,Lascelles or Manquillo.I think we’re possibly three transfer windows away from being close to a 6th place finish,that’s taking into consideration picking up a number of injuries.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

OK, that's fine. You have clarified that it's bad by Howes standards.

I don't think you said that in your original post.

In Howes standard it was a bad day. It was a pretty decent day by NUFCs recent standards.

Shouldn’t that be obvious even without mentioning it?

Historically we should only be happy with a win against Brighton. :lol:

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

since being promoted alongside ourselves, Brighton have been actively improving, whilst we sat in a pool of stagnant kebab grease for 2.5 years. Have Brighton qualified for europe, yet?

Brighton are a tidy team, well organised, arguably punching significantly above their weight. Ashley didn’t even care about matching a Brighton who are very close to reaching  their ceiling. Are we trying to match Brighton or are we aiming higher?

I feel the criticism of Almiron is a bit harsh today, regardless of end product, he actually played the best all round game, nicking the ball, setting up plays and transitioning the ball and generally being a pest to Brighton. He was everywhere, and kept possession well. There were a few others who struggled with Brighton's pressure a lot more.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I feel the criticism of Almiron is a bit harsh today, regardless of end product, he actually played the best all round game, nicking the ball, setting up plays and transitioning the ball and generally being a pest to Brighton. He was everywhere, and kept possession well. There were a few others who struggled with Brighton's pressure a lot more.

That’s why he’s so frustrating. He had a good game but was also nowhere near any end product.