Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United (31/08/2022)

Yorkie

The guy is under pressure and it shows. Their Premiership winning team has peaked and he needs to re-build. I like the quote - 'Past success is only briefly a glad memory, it quickly becomes an accusing finger'.  That's what he's facing.

Very unfair to lump us in with Man City and PSG. We have a different type of ownership structure and there's no sign that we're going to cheat our way through FFP. He's also twisted Ashworth's words.

Still, it's nice that he sees us as a threat. I do think that the way that the top six are set up financially makes it dangerous for them to miss out on the CL for any significant time. Hence the headstrong march to the European Super League. We're a threat not because we're going to out-spend anybody, but because there's no room in their thinking for a 7th member.

Interestingly Liverpools long period of success was built by Bill Shankly in the early 60s when as a second division club with very modest crowds they bought Ian St John and Ron Yeats for massive fees (Newcastle had been in for St John). It was often rumoured that the money came from the Littlewoods Pools empire

25 minutes ago, gbandit said:

People saying they don’t disagree too much with what he’s saying needs qualifying a bit. Yes, football is fucked financially and totally broken but it has been for years, Klopp’s not saying all this because of that, he’s saying it because he feels Liverpool are threatened. He’s also dangerously unhinged nowadays. I would love for proper financial reform in football that levels the playing field and hopefully we get it for the right reasons, not to keep the Liverpools of the league happy 

Yep.  He’s right that football is fucked financially - but his employers are one of the worst culprits of all.  He’d impress me more if he had the bollocks to call out Liverpool’s ownership.  This is just a whine because his team are playing shite at present. 

11 minutes ago, madras said:

Interestingly Liverpools long period of success was built by Bill Shankly in the early 60s when as a second division club with very modest crowds they bought Ian St John and Ron Yeats for massive fees (Newcastle had been in for St John). It was often rumoured that the money came from the Littlewoods Pools empire

Yeah, the Moores family owned both Littlewoods Pools and LIverpool FC for several years. In those days, of course, after the abolition of the maximum wage in 1961, there was nothing to stop owners spending what they wanted.

He's such a hypocrite. If Liverpool had our owners and someone said the comments towards him his response would be similar to his comments about Hamann. 

Does he even have a plan B? It seems his teams are all high press attacking but once that gets found out he hasn't really got much else up his sleeve. 

The way he stands there on the touchline and grins with his disjointed mouth towards the opposite manager is real shitty too. Just unprofessional. 

Would love to see the pressure really build as he just won't be able to handle it due to his ego. 

Edited by Scotty66

1 hour ago, beardsleymagic said:

Whilst I agree with you that I wouldn’t want us in any way to be involved with dodgy deals, I would want is to be able to get the best deals we can in line with what other premier league clubs are getting.

None of this “we don’t think that’s a fair representation of what you should be getting “ by the premier league (after been told by the so called big clubs how much we’re allowed ).

We are all in the same competition and should therefore all be allowed to maximise our revenues the same as any other club in that same competition.

If Liverpool/Man City etc are allowed to have sponser for £50m a season, why aren’t we? Surely it goes against anti competition laws.

Good, fair deals are absolutely fine; it's more the stuff that City have been seemingly caught doing when setting up fake companies just to funnel through their riches. That absolutely stinks and I'd hate it if we did the same.

2 hours ago, maze said:

Or when the nicked some of our best players from us.

Before his time but Liverpool took Andy Carroll from us for 50m.

A huge amount of money, particularly back then. Simply because they had the cash to spend.

Of course in hindsight, they way overpaid, but nonetheless, a great and young prospect back then.

I like the quote - 'Past success is only briefly a glad memory, it quickly becomes an accusing finger'.  That's what he's facing.

I'll disagree with the quote because Liverpool remained a financial powerhouse in football, selling millions of replica shirts etc. and of course attracting a high profile manager like Klopp himself, off the back of success in the 1970s and 1980s. Man U still have super high revenue despite not winning the league for 10 years.

Klopp's probably doing this as a distraction to stop people analyzing what his team are doing wrong. He'd rather have some bollocks debate over money in football than 15 minute segments on MNF pointing out his team's failings, esp. the defensive ones, which are likely to affect the confidence of his players and of some fans in Klopp himself.

2 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Before his time but Liverpool took Andy Carroll from us for 50m.

A huge amount of money, particularly back then. Simply because they had the cash to spend.

Of course in hindsight, they way overpaid, but nonetheless, a great and young prospect back then.

35m

This was 2 years before Ashley. When our owners have to justify our sponsorship deals I hope they use things like this. If we were to say that naturally we were within a 3rd of Liverpool's commercial revenue (I've not checked but I'm guessing it's nowhere near that now), then being able to argue that the takeover has increased profile in the Middle East, we have scope to increase further pretty easily.

Screenshot_20221015-120640.png

Screenshot_20221015-120652.png

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Klopp is just a cunt. He behaves like a cunt on the touchline when they're losing or frustrated, he behaves like a cunt to journalists when hes struggling and he behaves like a righteous patronising arsehole when they're doing well. Him and his chest thumping bullshit can fuck off. 

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

If he said all this money is bad for the league I would absolutely agree with him, it's just the blatant getting his excuses in about it and pretending he hasn't spent a lot

Thing is everybody having a pop at us for this no ceiling bullshit - nobody spoke up for us when we were getting bled dry for 14 years, if it was financial fair play then they’d protect those clubs as well. It’s a financial capping system.

Absolutely. If they came through with a suggestion for financial fair play that cut back on the ludicrous over spending, allowed clubs with poorer resources to better compete I am all for it. But rather than blaming how miserably the game has been governed it's just man city and our fault. 

21 minutes ago, Decky said:

Klopp is just a cunt. He behaves like a cunt on the touchline when they're losing or frustrated, he behaves like a cunt to journalists when hes struggling and he behaves like a righteous patronising arsehole when they're doing well. Him and his chest thumping bullshit can fuck off. 

He's a classic bully.

28 minutes ago, Decky said:

He’s jumped the shark big time. Getting desperate with all the nonsense you’ve mentioned.

What’s odd about his comment is that we haven’t even started to throw our (owner’s) weight around. Most of what has happened, perhaps with the exception of the Isak fee, is just that we’re now operating as a well run club with ambitions. It’s something any new owner could have done, and even something Ashley could have done if he was arsed about building us up rather than leaching on us.

It’s clear some of the top six are bricking themselves. Look at the momentum we have after one year of being run as a proper football club - we’re already a force to be reckoned with even before our owners really start flexing their muscles.

Edited by Unbelievable

Biggest prick in football at the moment and has been for some time. Started the season after they won the league - arrogant as fuck.

He is perfectly suited to Liverpool, although I do echo what others say regarding the scousers being sound (and similar city to Newcastle)