Harrison Ashby (on loan at Swansea City)

James

6 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

I’m actually a lot more excited about Ashby than I am Livramento. Don’t think it was really needed to buy him for 40 million when we signed Ashby with the view of him taking Tripps place.

Based on what? Livramento has performed in premier league to a noteworthy standard and Ashby is a prospect. He may well come good but there is nothing to suggest he is close to starting for us quality. Hopefully he will get there one day but Trippier may get injured this season, would be bold to rely on Ashby. 

39 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Based on what? Livramento has performed in premier league to a noteworthy standard and Ashby is a prospect. He may well come good but there is nothing to suggest he is close to starting for us quality. Hopefully he will get there one day but Trippier may get injured this season, would be bold to rely on Ashby. 

We wouldn’t have signed him at the age he is if we didn’t view him going into our starting 11 in a few seasons, he’s had some experience with West Ham and Scotland u21 level. Just think it’s pretty silly to sign him and he looked very good in pre season and then spend money 40 million on another right back the same age money could’ve been spent better elsewhere.

3 hours ago, ToonScotman said:

We wouldn’t have signed him at the age he is if we didn’t view him going into our starting 11 in a few seasons, he’s had some experience with West Ham and Scotland u21 level. Just think it’s pretty silly to sign him and he looked very good in pre season and then spend money 40 million on another right back the same age money could’ve been spent better elsewhere.

We needed a right back who can come in if Trippier is injured now. Players develop at different speeds, Livramento is good enough to start now by all accounts. His age is a good thing, plenty of time to develop and his value can go up. I don't understand if you agree Ashby isn't good enough to start now then complaining about spending £40m on a high quality young centre back? That's how much these players cost if not actually less? 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Ashby's started Swansea's last two games at RB, not RM. It sounds like he put in a couple of strong performances. Fingers crossed he can kick on.  

We have one or two Swansea supporters on here don't we? Isn't @Groo one?

2 hours ago, 80 said:

We have one or two Swansea supporters on here don't we? Isn't @Groo one?

He's not had the best of times, it was a funny loan as we had just bought Josh Key, a right back. Ashby started playing Right Wingback with Key playing Left Wingback. Even though he scored in one game, his form wasn't good and eventually Key was picked ahead of him in his normal position and Ashby dropped to the bench.

Key's been injured the last couple of games against Watford and Blackburn, so Ashby's played. I missed both these games so can only go by the player ratings on our board. We lost at home against Watford and no player got a rating higher than 6.1, Ashby got 4.9, better than just 3 other players and he was subbed off on 79th minute for an attacking midfielder, probably chasing the game as we were 1 down.

We won against Blackburn and Ashby played the 90 minutes and had a score of 7.2.

Will see when Key returns if he manages to keep the spot.

2 hours ago, Groo said:

He's not had the best of times, it was a funny loan as we had just bought Josh Key, a right back. Ashby started playing Right Wingback with Key playing Left Wingback. Even though he scored in one game, his form wasn't good and eventually Key was picked ahead of him in his normal position and Ashby dropped to the bench.

Key's been injured the last couple of games against Watford and Blackburn, so Ashby's played. I missed both these games so can only go by the player ratings on our board. We lost at home against Watford and no player got a rating higher than 6.1, Ashby got 4.9, better than just 3 other players and he was subbed off on 79th minute for an attacking midfielder, probably chasing the game as we were 1 down.

We won against Blackburn and Ashby played the 90 minutes and had a score of 7.2.

Will see when Key returns if he manages to keep the spot.

Thanks for the update, will be interesting to see what happens.

On 27/08/2023 at 16:43, ToonScotman said:

I’m actually a lot more excited about Ashby than I am Livramento. Don’t think it was really needed to buy him for 40 million when we signed Ashby with the view of him taking Tripps place.

This aged well [emoji38]

On 01/11/2023 at 11:55, Menace said:

Not really what you said though was it

I’ll stand by what I said. We chased the lad for 6-12 months so we know he has talent. He looked very good in pre-season. From my view as Livramento hadn’t played much until now (who by the way looks excellent but has PL experience) it looked a bit silly to spend 40 million on a player at his age to warm the bench when someone maybe not as good as Livramento could have did the what he was doing and spent the 40 million better elsewhere. The boy could be a potential scotland international maybe that’s why I like him and hope he does very well but I want all Newcastle players to do well. Are we going to write off Lewis Hall already because he hasn’t started great? No because we get behind all the players.

7 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

I’ll stand by what I said. We chased the lad for 6-12 months so we know he has talent. He looked very good in pre-season. From my view as Livramento hadn’t played much until now (who by the way looks excellent but has PL experience) it looked a bit silly to spend 40 million on a player at his age to warm the bench when someone maybe not as good as Livramento could have did the what he was doing and spent the 40 million better elsewhere. The boy could be a potential scotland international maybe that’s why I like him and hope he does very well but I want all Newcastle players to do well. Are we going to write off Lewis Hall already because he hasn’t started great? No because we get behind all the players.

An even odder comment given how good Livramento has been tonight and in the two cup games. Ashby looks like a player we've signed to sell on in a couple of seasons to help with FFP tbh. I'd love him to do well for us but he's currently our fifth choice RB.

You’ve read the transfer wrong @ToonScotman . Because of his contract situ at West Ham we’ve thought we can get him for free/cheap and flip him in a couple years for a profit. 

You could tell from his limited experience that he wasn’t capable of being backup for Tripps this season. 

Livramento is/was a legitimate wonder kid pre-ACL. Tino is a year younger and much more experienced because he’s a much greater talent. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’ve read the transfer wrong @ToonScotman . Because of his contract situ at West Ham we’ve thought we can get him for free/cheap and flip him in a couple years for a profit. 

You could tell from his limited experience that he wasn’t capable of being backup for Tripps this season. 

Livramento is/was a legitimate wonder kid pre-ACL. Tino is a year younger and much more experienced because he’s a much greater talent. 

That's all well and good but I just don't see why we wasted £3m of our budget on him.

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

An even odder comment given how good Livramento has been tonight and in the two cup games. Ashby looks like a player we've signed to sell on in a couple of seasons to help with FFP tbh. I'd love him to do well for us but he's currently our fifth choice RB.

Did you not read the part where I said Livramento has been excellent? Nobody knew when we signed this lad we’d then have a chance at signing Livramento. So the plan was no doubt for Ashby to be next in line. Livramento becomes available that situation has changed most likely.

On 27/08/2023 at 18:43, ToonScotman said:

This is the insight why I come here every day.