Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

28 minutes ago, midstoon said:

Beautiful 

Needs looking after and nurtured this kid and I can't think of a better club for him than Eddie's Newcastle. 

Watching video's of players now and it's all about family, unity, strength through common endeavour. 

Loved his little sis in her Toon top already 😂😂😂😍

What a lush experience it must be, to watch a football match in the sunshine in a beautiful coastal city. 

Garang looks like such a sweet, introverted kid. I really hope we integrate him into the squad and settle him in properly here. Such a talent.

It's obviously ridiculously early to be talking, but you feel like this boy has a big future. Lovely balance, great attitude, good family etc. Even if he wasn't signing for us I'd take an interest.

Edited by 80

Just now, buzza said:

He looks the real deal, just what we need in Jan, a new winger that brings something to the table.

Jeezus, I have Brazil, Australia and England at the World Cup... 

I don’t think he’ll get a work permit to feature for us this season already unless he plays a certain number of games at the WC if memory serves, and it’s not even certain he’ll go.

Looks a canny little player, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops - but we shouldn't necessarily be expecting him to pull up trees, he'll need time to develop.  It's worth bearing in mind that he doesn't currently start for a shite side in a shite league (and they are, and it is, shite - trust me).  Youtube has meant every young player with the ability to dribble looks like a world-beater.  I hope the lad doesn't feel overly pressured.

Anyhow, I will be N-O's official scout in Parramatta tomorrow as Central Coast are playing my local side, Western Sydney Wanderers.  He'll likely get some minutes off the bench so it'll canny to see him in the flesh.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Looks a canny little player, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops - but we shouldn't necessarily be expecting him to pull up trees, he'll need time to develop.  It's worth bearing in mind that he doesn't currently start for a shite side in a shite league (and they are, and it is, shite - trust me).  Youtube has meant every young player with the ability to dribble looks like a world-beater.  I hope the lad doesn't feel overly pressured.

Anyhow, I will be N-O's official scout in Parramatta tomorrow as Central Coast are playing my local side, Western Sydney Wanderers.  He'll likely get some minutes off the bench so it'll canny to see him in the flesh.

We do the best with what we have. It's a salary capped league meaning most teams' playing budget is (approx) between two and three million pounds. Just about any league would look shite compared with the EPL. A fair comparison would be the SPL. Take out the Old Firm and most AL teams would beat most SPL teams. The very best team in the AL (Melbourne City) would probably survive in the English Championship.

Probably...

There's a whisper Garang might start for the Mariners tonight. Would love to see that - and would definitely improve the Mariners chances of an upset.

1 hour ago, Coastie said:

We do the best with what we have. It's a salary capped league meaning most teams' playing budget is (approx) between two and three million pounds. Just about any league would look shite compared with the EPL. A fair comparison would be the SPL. Take out the Old Firm and most AL teams would beat most SPL teams. The very best team in the AL (Melbourne City) would probably survive in the English Championship.

Probably...

There's a whisper Garang might start for the Mariners tonight. Would love to see that - and would definitely improve the Mariners chances of an upset.

Bit unfair on the SPFL many players that have come over from Australia haven’t made the grade when coming over to the SPFL granted the standard is getting better but it’s a bit of a retirement home for players on the wind down. The player with Kuol in the video came back up to Scotland and couldn’t kick his own arse and now he’s a full Australian international… however with regards to Kuol I’m very excited to see what he can do for us with teams like Barca ready to buy him he’s obviously got something so was delighted we knicked him first. 

1 hour ago, Coastie said:

Probably...

No, it’s a million miles below the quality of the SPL or English Second tier.  It’s slow and cumbersome, with very little real talent on display.  I was at St James’ in the late 80s-early 90s, I’ve seen what shite second tier English football looks like, and it was still light years ahead of the A League

Not that it matters, of course :) - it would be good to see the wee man start tonight

Edit: having went to see Gateshead a handful of times in the past, the A League is just about better quality than the fifth tier conference.  Third tier English clubs would walk it, though. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

On 04/11/2022 at 00:47, Emotic said:

What a lush experience it must be, to watch a football match in the sunshine in a beautiful coastal city. 

Garang looks like such a sweet, introverted kid. I really hope we integrate him into the squad and settle him in properly here. Such a talent.

Yeah I grew up there. Got to play on that pitch a couple of times as a school kid. It's beautiful in the sunshine there. 

57 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, it’s a million miles below the quality of the SPL or English Second tier.  It’s slow and cumbersome, with very little real talent on display.  I was at St James’ in the late 80s-early 90s, I’ve seen what shite second tier English football looks like, and it was still light years ahead of the A League

Not that it matters, of course :) - it would be good to see the wee man start tonight

Edit: having went to see Gateshead a handful of times in the past, the A League is just about better quality than the fifth tier conference.  Third tier English clubs would walk it, though. 

I watch a lot of A-League and the last thing I'd describe it as is slow and cumbersome. It's very entertaining (and great for betting).

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I suspect football everywhere has changed somewhat everywhere since the 80s and 90s...

You have to remember that the AL is played in summer so it's necessarily a slower game than those played in the northern winter. As for Australians performing in Europe - they take a while to adjust to the different pace - just as Europeans ,come into the AL and struggle with the very different conditions. Robbie Fowler, for instance, and plenty of others thought they were coming to a superannuation league and struggled big time.

The reality is it's very hard to compare the leagues given the huge differences in conditions (and salary levels) but Celtic came out to Australia a few years back and were beaten by my club (Mariners) who had the previous season done pretty poorly in the AL, so I stand comfortably by my SPL comparison.

4 minutes ago, Coastie said:

I suspect football everywhere has changed somewhat everywhere since the 80s and 90s...

You have to remember that the AL is played in summer so it's necessarily a slower game than those played in the northern winter. As for Australians performing in Europe - they take a while to adjust to the different pace - just as Europeans ,come into the AL and struggle with the very different conditions. Robbie Fowler, for instance, and plenty of others thought they were coming to a superannuation league and struggled big time.

The reality is it's very hard to compare the leagues given the huge differences in conditions (and salary levels) but Celtic came out to Australia a few years back and were beaten by my club (Mariners) who had the previous season done pretty poorly in the AL, so I stand comfortably by my SPL comparison.

The usual thing over here is to get overexcited by pre-season friendly results.  Every touring major European club attracts a massive crowd - but it is a training match for them.  The idea that CCM are even close to Celtic's standard is laughable tbh.  Prime Robbie Fowler doesn't struggle in the A-League.  Overweight semi-retired Robbie Fowler picking up a final pay check in the sun does - and Fowler hadn't been close to being a top centre forward for years when he rocked up to North Queensland.  It was superannuation league for him - he waddled about, picked up a pay cheque, and spent his afternoons getting pissed in the sun.  I personally hate it when the A League brings those sort of players across - it is a joke.  Fowler was taking up the place of an Aussie player, and likely commanding as much money as could've paid for all the local junior teams to be funded for the year.  I've no interest in watching pisstakers like Fowler stroll about.

You're spot on re the reason for the speed of the game - it is a similar tempo to watching Greek or Turkish league football.  It is very slow due to the climate and time of year the matches are played.

Football is football, so I happily watch it - but Plymouth, Sheff Wed or Ipswich would stroll to the title over here.  The average third tier English club has a higher turnover than the richest A League club - Barnsley are effectively bigger than Melbourne City.  So they can pay more, and if the player is any good they're likely to be scouted by better sides.  Glasgow Celtic's turnover will be greater than all the A League clubs combined - the players they can keep on their books are comfortably out of reach of the wildest dreams of any A League club.

Money talks in football, as does geography.  I say we just enjoy the ability to watch football in incredible weather and safe, friendly stadia.  The quality is shite, but that should never be a good enough reason not to go :) 

I agree with most of your points, except the comparable quality - which is probably like arguing about angels dancing on a pinhead. 

Bottom line is that GK is excelling in a league good enough to be taken seriously by the likes of Barcelona and NUFC.