Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

On 07/10/2023 at 07:17, Coastie said:

NT manager makes a big deal about picking people in form rather than relying on past performance.

Garang hasn't played enough in recent times but will definitely be in Arnold's plans. If he keeps up his current form is just about nailed on to go the Asian Cup in January.

I remember when Southgate said that was how he picked a squad, the lying, waistcoat wearing twat

On 03/10/2023 at 12:47, christ said:

You know absolutely fuck all about how to develop young footballers though.

Blimey. Surely you don't think toiling away in a shite relegation fodder team is better for an attacker than being in a team capable of stringing a few passes together?

On 14/10/2023 at 06:00, Joelinton7 said:

Could it just be that he’s not been performing?

Actually been going really well.

But he's only just started playing again after sitting on Hearts bench for ever. Getting goals and assists in a team close to bottom. His assist last match was a thing of beauty - especially the first touch.

If he maintains that form he'll definitely go to the Asian Cup in January. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He was capped twice out of two available games at Hearts, scoring once. 

Weird he'd all of a sudden be dropped now he's playing again if that was the reason. 

Yeah, they came hot on the heels of the World Cup where he'd done OK. 

Arnie is big on selecting players actually playingso I reckon that's all it is. The team was picked a few weeks ago and Kuol hadn't played much at that point. I daresay Silvera from Boro is in Kuol's spot ATM - he didn't get on against England. Silvera's a good player but he doesn't have Kuol's wow factor. If Kuol keeps playing well he'll be ahead of Silvera by the Asian Cup in January.

6 hours ago, andycap said:

I don't think the aussies are in a position to not pick gems for there workmanlike team of players. He should be in the squad at all times to change things up. 

Graham Arnold's done a pretty decent job to date - I think he's entitled to not select young'uns who've not pulled up any trees to date.  If Kuol is good enough, then there's plenty of years ahead in his career to win boatloads of caps.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Graham Arnold's done a pretty decent job to date - I think he's entitled to not select young'uns who've not pulled up any trees to date.  If Kuol is good enough, then there's plenty of years ahead in his career to win boatloads of caps.

Agreed.

Kuol's yanked out a few saplings but that's it. He needs to forget all the hype and just play consistently well ... and the rest will take care of itself. Mind you, Oz has a number of young wunderkinder about to hit the stage so Kuol needs to stake his claim over the next 12 months or he might get forgotten in the rush. I don't think I've ever been so optimistic about the immediate future of the NT and that's hugely down to Arnie and his team.

Having said that, watch us get beaten by New Zealand (104) tonight...

3 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Agreed.

Kuol's yanked out a few saplings but that's it. He needs to forget all the hype and just play consistently well ... and the rest will take care of itself. Mind you, Oz has a number of young wunderkinder about to hit the stage so Kuol needs to stake his claim over the next 12 months or he might get forgotten in the rush. I don't think I've ever been so optimistic about the immediate future of the NT and that's hugely down to Arnie and his team.

Having said that, watch us get beaten by New Zealand (104) tonight...

Yep, Irankunda in particular looks like he could be a real talent, still very young of course.  I enjoyed watching Nieuwenhof play for WSW, it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on at Hearts.

It can be hard to tell how young lads will develop, of course.  But there’s some canny young players coming out of this country at the moment.

42 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, Irankunda in particular looks like he could be a real talent, still very young of course.  I enjoyed watching Nieuwenhof play for WSW, it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on at Hearts.

It can be hard to tell how young lads will develop, of course.  But there’s some canny young players coming out of this country at the moment.

Definitely the most excited I've been about our future in a long time, feels like there's consistently youngsters being given the chance, and they're making the most of it which is great

Really wish Australia and USA in particular could become elite level in football, as in being regular contenders to be Quarter/Semi Finalists at World Cups regularly. The infrastructures are surely there? I know it'll always be hindered by not being the number 1 sport in those countries but the potential is there. 

I've heard people who've just been at the recent youth national championships claim that there's some spectacular talent about to hit the AL in the next two years.

You only have to go to any beach on a Sunday morning to see the natural athletic quality of Oz kids and we've traditionally done well at youth level. (Some recent, post golden generation blips.) It's at full adult stage that we fall to pieces but the AL and national curriculum seem finally to be paying dividends despite all of Australian football's attempts to tear itself to shreds.

8 hours ago, wiseman said:

Definitely the most excited I've been about our future in a long time, feels like there's consistently youngsters being given the chance, and they're making the most of it which is great

It’s what the A-League should be all about, and it is beginning to produce young players 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Paullow said:

Started today for Volendam vs Excelsior. Subbed at half time when they were 0-1 down, but they turned it around in the second half to win 3-1.

Could be worse. We could have sent him to Ajax…

I understand he was twice voted MOTM in five matches plus scored goal of the month for the Eredivisie, so not too bad. Still very young so will be a bit inconsistent.

Irankunda looks very special indeed and even younger than Kuol. I'll see if I can find footage of his goal on the weekend.