Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

FC Volendam is a typical yo-yo club over here, but very well known for its youth development. It’s a VERY traditional club and city (Christianity). The level is not great, and I’m not sure the environment is right. At least I will be able to monitor his development a bit.

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

FC Volendam is a typical yo-yo club over here, but very well known for its youth development. It’s a VERY traditional club and city (Christianity). The level is not great, and I’m not sure the environment is right. At least I will be able to monitor his development a bit.

The Athletic has said Volendam was chosen because there are a lot of teenagers playing in the team, and also because the coach is known for developing young talent. 

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

First priority was probably to ensure he actually gets on the football pitch, which he should at that club.

Good to know, look forward to your updates about his progress throughout the season. 

I wonder Dutch clubs speak English internally as the natives all speak fluent English and makes it easier for international players to settle in.  Could be a reason we're sending players there.

43 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Hopefully he'll discover his P45 soon.

:lol: Sounds like he's worked hard to find an environment where he'll develop and see quite a bit of playing time. Well done Shola.

3 minutes ago, Eveready said:

I wonder Dutch clubs speak English internally as the natives all speak fluent English and makes it easier for international players to settle in.  Could be a reason we're sending players there.

FC Volendam is more NL oriented than most though. Just had a look at their squad: they only have 7 non-NL players on their books, 3 of whom are English. In terms of language he should have no problem.

9 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

If I was one of these young lads, I'd definitely leave as a footballer and return as a stoner...

Not likely in a place like Volendam. Rural Holland can be very different to urban areas like Amsterdam 

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: Sounds like he's worked hard to find an environment where he'll develop and see quite a bit of playing time. Well done Shola.

I dream of a Shola free NUFC one day. The fucking fraud.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I dream of a Shola free NUFC one day. The fucking fraud.

:lol: We've had so many frauds come and go and he doesn't seem to be one? He was a decent player with a shit hot pen playing for his hometown team and now he's helping develop the next gen of his hometown team. Living the dream.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: We've had so many frauds come and go and he doesn't seem to be one? He was a decent player with a shit hot pen playing for his hometown team and now he's helping develop the next gen of his hometown team. Living the dream.

Don't even start :lol: 

Gave it a like even though I think “decent player” is out of line. He should have been a decent player but I think mentally there was something missing which meant he continually fucked up simple things that he was actually technically capable of

24 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

FC Volendam is more NL oriented than most though. Just had a look at their squad: they only have 7 non-NL players on their books, 3 of whom are English. In terms of language he should have no problem.

Kuol and the Gang, including (London)Derry Murkin and Josh “Cap’n” Flint.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Gave it a like even though I think “decent player” is out of line. He should have been a decent player but I think mentally there was something missing which meant he continually fucked up simple things that he was actually technically capable of

He was still youngish when I started following the club I feel, and at that point the thing that was missing was coaching and infrastructure. And here he is in his post playing career contributing to the infrastructure.

23 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not likely in a place like Volendam. Rural Holland can be very different to urban areas like Amsterdam 

It's about 20 mins from Amsterdam. Its the one part of the world I've travelled more than the UK, and that is far from rural Holland.

I never had much trouble in my youth finding a coffeeshop, even up by the islands in the North.