Garang Kuol

Johnny

“Australia's A-League has been ranked worse than national soccer leagues in Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo.

The competition came in at number 99 on the International Federation of Football History and Statistics' annual list of the world's 125 strongest leagues, down from 52nd last year.

The rankings, produced annually since 1991, are based on club results from national and intercontinental competitions.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/a-league-ranked-worlds-99th-best/5246348

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's a 9 year old article like

True, but most recent articles can’t even name the A-league anywhere near the Scottish premiership 

https://www.globalfootballrankings.com (a-league isn’t mentioned as it only goes up to 30th in the world- SPL is 17th).

https://thefootballlovers.com/best-football-leagues-in-the-world-ranking/ (A-league isn’t in the 50 stated. SPL is 14th)

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It’s a bit niche, arguing the toss over which is the least worst league (Aus vs Scots). I’m just pleased we’ve sent him somewhere that will help him appreciate the weather in Tyneside! 

Don’t care either way but just stating it’s a step up for Kuol, and given he wasn’t even starting regularly in Australia, it’s doubtful he’ll be starting too often in Scotland until he adjusts and improves. 

35 minutes ago, Coastie said:

I forgive you your ignorance.

Australia, rated 27 in the world, just came officially 11th at the World Cup and were only Garang Kuol's shot away from taking Argentina (eventual champions) into extra time in the round of 16. The squad featured plenty of A League players and almost everyone (bar Jackson Irvine, I think) has played in the AL.

Could Scotland (ranked 42) or any SPL eleven have done as well?

I don't think so.

In fairness, the leagues are hard to compare as they are played in such different conditions, but there is plenty of quality in the AL and plenty more hungry young players looking for gigs in Europe. So next time you want to patronise the AL just reflect on this and... frankly, give credit where it's due.

I’m Scottish, I live in Scotland and you are talking absolute nonsense. 11 members of the Australia squad for eve World Cup either played in or had played in Scotland most of them currently playing in Scotland

23 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“Australia's A-League has been ranked worse than national soccer leagues in Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo.

The competition came in at number 99 on the International Federation of Football History and Statistics' annual list of the world's 125 strongest leagues, down from 52nd last year.

The rankings, produced annually since 1991, are based on club results from national and intercontinental competitions.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/a-league-ranked-worlds-99th-best/5246348

This is fucking garbage written either by an idiot or an AFL stooge.

Where are Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo rated?

And when did any of them last make the World Cup?

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I’m Scottish, I live in Scotland and you are talking absolute nonsense. 11 members of the Australia squad for eve World Cup either played in or had played in Scotland most of them currently playing in Scotland

You don't get it do you...

Australia came 11th with nearly all players developed in the AL. The only reason they go to Scotland is to get into the Euro shop window.

I think this spell is more about adapting to the UK, the climate, getting a bit more senior football (probably more physically) in an environment where he has a few people he knows that'll help him adjust.

Wouldn't be surprised if next season we keep him here in the U23s for half a season so we get a proper look at him ourselves, then either loan him back hopefully more ready to start matches, or to a League 1 or Championship team in the January.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Coastie said:

You don't get it do you...

Australia came 11th with nearly all players developed in the AL. The only reason they go to Scotland is to get into the Euro shop window.

You are missing the point as Rich said above strength of nation doesn’t equate to Strength of league. I’m no huge fan of the SPL but I’ve seen enough 

Even if that is an argument, if you swap Scotland and Australia's locations, Scotland would qualify for most World Cups too and Australia would struggle to qualify from Qualification groups.

Not taking anything away from their World Cup campaign because I thought they were brilliant.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye, but we're not talking about top nations here. :iamatwat:

Being serious for a minute... My previous job involved a fair bit of work in trying to accurately judge the strength of leagues globally, as it was a huge factor in assessing transfer business between leagues/countries, working out odds for European games, etc. We're going back a few years now, but the Scottish Premiership was always comfortably ahead of the A-League season-on-season. Top 20 versus top 50, roughly speaking.

I've watched countless more games of each league than I'd ever wish on my worst enemy and it felt like Scotland was comfortably ahead of Australia in terms of the overall performance of the teams. Tactically, technically, athletically, the whole lot. The tempo was always the thing that struck me the most, the A League felt so slow compared to the SPFL and lower-league English games.

The gap might well have narrowed in the last few years and there's no doubt Australia did brilliantly at the WC, but this is a step up for Kuol whichever way you look at it.

EDIT: I should add that the reason for this, in my eyes, is how restricted the A-League is in terms of foreign players and the salary cap. Which also probably plays into the nation being stronger than the league?

Australia's biggest issue is that there's too many influential people that are invested in football not succeeding here in a professional capacity.

While we had a brilliant world cup run, I'll be the first to admit I was completely won't with my expectations on how I thought we would perform. It still does nowhere near enough to help drive the standing of the game up here. The hope that after the 2006 qualification by our golden generation that the generation should be arising now would be better.

But the league is short cash, making decisions not in there next interest of the fans,  there's a disjoint between our semi professional leagues and top flight and the investment into youth is inconsistent at best. Until these are fixed our attendances will continue to languish and we won't get the quantity or quality of players that we need.

Whether I like it or not, heading to hearts is an improvement for him and will give him a much improved chance of success then if he had stayed on loan at central coast.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Being serious for a minute... My previous job involved a fair bit of work in trying to accurately judge the strength of leagues globally, as it was a huge factor in assessing transfer business between leagues/countries, working out odds for European games, etc. We're going back a few years now, but the Scottish Premiership was always comfortably ahead of the A-League season-on-season. Top 20 versus top 50, roughly speaking.

I've watched countless more games of each league than I'd ever wish on my worst enemy and it felt like Scotland was comfortably ahead of Australia in terms of the overall performance of the teams. Tactically, technically, athletically, the whole lot. The tempo was always the thing that struck me the most, the A League felt so slow compared to the SPFL and lower-league English games.

The gap might well have narrowed in the last few years and there's no doubt Australia did brilliantly at the WC, but this is a step up for Kuol whichever way you look at it.

EDIT: I should add that the reason for this, in my eyes, is how restricted the A-League is in terms of foreign players and the salary cap. Which also probably plays into the nation being stronger than the league?

As I've said a number of times, the leagues are hard to compare because they are played in such different conditions. The AL is run in summer in a stinking hot country so is inevitably played at a slower pace. That's always the biggest factor for Oz players to get used to when they go to Europe - it's played in the cold so is faster. Less time on the ball before being closed down, less time to make decisions etc...

But there is quality there and every year the standard gets a little better. The idea that (say) Melbourne City would struggle against Ross County or Dundee is laughable.