Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It looked more spectacular from the side-on TV angle.  Once you saw it from behind Fraser it was obvious that the save was completely straightforward- the keeper didn’t need to move.  Had it gone in, it would count as an error. 

At least he had a shot. The bar is low. Wondering if an attacking player managed a shot. Tells everything

Disappointing result but didn't hate the performance. Controlled the game, just couldn't put it away, same old story with the likes of Almiron and Willock (the latter of whom was particularly shit).

Ah well, we're going on the right direction. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A section of our fans are just embarassing.

Today was poor, we were lethargic and lacked cutting edge. You can acknowledge that without overreacting.

This season isn't about the elimination of the odd poor performance, it's about progress and we've seen plenty of it to date. Our points tally doesn't reflect our performances, but if we play like we have so far this season, that will take care of itself.

It's totally unsurprising the squad still has holes after two transfer markets. Even after investing circa £200 million on a number of players, including half a dozen first teamers, we're a long way from being able to challenge at the top end of the table.

Most of us want a club that tries and that's exactly what we have. A minority seem to have forgotten that already.

Too many players played too many 10 yard passes within thirty yards of their goal.That’s shirking their responsibilities,or lack of ability to make something happen.I thought Trippier was one of the worst culprits.Almiron time and time again fucked about wide right then passed to Trippier who put his foot on the ball,then played it inside and ten yards back.Wood was brought on and still continued to do it.Willock played the ‘Jenas’ role in the second.Looking the part and doing fuck all.Big Joe looked out of his depth again.More interested in getting a yellow card than contributing anything worthwhile.

A worrying performance from the team.

Ironically the best we could hope for under Bruce away from home against a decent side is what Bournemouth got today. Low possession, few counter attacks, everyone sat back trying to spoil the game for 90 mins and picked up a goal. It's nice we are on the other side and being the team having to unlock these hard working 10 men behind the ball teams. Let's not forget we were the Bournemouth side less than a year ago.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Disappointing result but didn't hate the performance. Controlled the game, just couldn't put it away, same old story with the likes of Almiron and Willock (the latter of whom was particularly shit).

Ah well, we're going on the right direction. 

I'm surprised anyone couldn't hate the performance to be honest. Apart from a quick flurry in the first half there was nothing

We "couldn't put it away" but there was nothing created to put away

Not sure what the point of having a pacy attack is if we're only giving them 5 yards off the pitch to run into.

Nothing wrong with how we're playing, per se, we just we need to tweak our tactics a little bit and recognise that we need to make the best of the qualities that make us so dangerous on the break, ie with space to run into.

Edited by Thumbheed

Frustrating as fuck. Was getting more and more annoyed while watching. Was particularly pissed off when we seemed to slow the pace of the game via our own accord.

Felt the game needed a change in formation to give us something different, Botman and a back 3 perhaps.

I knew the game was done when Murphy came on and Bruno went off. Our lack of depth in attacking areas is shocking but that will take time.

Isak might as well have gone for a kip. I think now people might see what Chris Wood was dealing with. We offer no support to our front men.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Willock in particular today was so poor, literally offers nothing at times 

Been saying this for the longest time. In my opinion he's the biggest issue in the team right now.

Almiron has been shocking as well, but it's made infinitely worse by the fact that he has Willock on that same side as him.

If Shelvey was playing deep and Bruno was in that RCM slot, he'd be managing to get Almiron in behind and put him in more dangerous situations.

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Got in the ground and they were playing Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame and then silence for 10 mins. Utter shite 

They weren't allowed to play upbeat music or any just before kickoff

It was The Bangles for what it's worth

Edited by joeyt

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

A section of our fans are just embarassing.

Today was poor, we were lethargic and lacked cutting edge. You can acknowledge that without overreacting.

This season isn't about the elimination of the odd poor performance, it's about progress and we've seen plenty of it to date. Our points tally doesn't reflect our performances, but if we play like we have so far this season, that will take care of itself.

It's totally unsurprising the squad still has holes after two transfer markets. Even after investing circa £200 million on a number of players, including half a dozen first teamers, we're a long way from being able to challenge at the top end of the table.

Most of us want a club that tries and that's exactly what we have. A minority seem to have forgotten that already.

Cracking post and sums up my feelings to the letter :thup:

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

They weren't allowed to play upbeat music or any just before kickoff

It was The Bangles for what it's worth

Didn’t realise. Definitely contributed to a below par display 

Totally agree about wanting a club that tries , said it a few games again when we had moronic posts on here even. 

Anyway , opportunity lost big style for me , we lacked l that cutting edge all over the park . Some decent balls in to no one , no slide rule passes, no looking to split the defence of Bournemouth who were crap by the way .

Not playing to Isak strengths at all. Tripps MOTM for me in a poor game in truth . 

21 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I'm surprised anyone couldn't hate the performance to be honest. Apart from a quick flurry in the first half there was nothing

We "couldn't put it away" but there was nothing created to put away

There was those chances in the first half, Trippier fk, Fraser just after half-time, Murphy that was knocked wide, the penalty, numerous times in behind on the right but where the final ball was missing. Not saying it was remotely swashbuckling but on another day we pinch it. Obviously it was frustrating but we still dominated. 

29 minutes ago, hakka said:

Ironically the best we could hope for under Bruce away from home against a decent side is what Bournemouth got today. Low possession, few counter attacks, everyone sat back trying to spoil the game for 90 mins and picked up a goal. It's nice we are on the other side and being the team having to unlock these hard working 10 men behind the ball teams. Let's not forget we were the Bournemouth side less than a year ago.

How often did we look as solid in defence as Bournemouth looked today, under Bruce?

We aren't going to become champions league contenders in a season and the takeover happened less than a year ago.

Yes I am frustrated that we keep drawing games, yes maybe my expectations have been raised a bit higher than they should be, yes I still think we will finish in the top eight.

This is just a long bump in the road that I am sure we will overcome,  there is some talent in the squad but there is also some dross, 'boro from the ravinelli years springs to mind, we are light years away from Bruce's side but we still have a long way to go, January will see more investment and I am sure we will improve year on year, when was the last time we could say that?.

19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Been saying this for the longest time. In my opinion he's the biggest issue in the team right now.

Almiron has been shocking as well, but it's made infinitely worse by the fact that he has Willock on that same side as him.

If Shelvey was playing deep and Bruno was in that RCM slot, he'd be managing to get Almiron in behind and put him in more dangerous situations.

Willock goes through the motions when he’s on song.He adds nothing to the team whatsoever.The shot he had was diabolical but expected when you saw a Bournemouth defender closing in to tackle or block.He shit himself basically.

He’s clearly Eddie’s favourite player.