Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

10 minutes ago, thomas said:

question for the "we didn't buy enough" ultras - what amount of players do you think prevent goals from ever being conceded, having bad games, or even losing occasionally to shithouse teams? because i'm pretty sure the answer doesn't exist.

Exactly - Liverpool are only one point above us and their squad is worth around £1bn probably.

They shouldn’t even be above us as we were robbed blind against them (and palace we were robbed).  

Just now, Aiston said:

No we wouldn't. We don't always need to sign players for the first 11.

It cannot be much to get better than those three.

Wood cost £25m, if that’s owt to go by.

The squad has been neglected for years - though no doubt like you, I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to watch half of the current squad play for us again. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Wood cost £25m, if that’s owt to go by.

The squad has been neglected for years - though no doubt like you, I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to watch half of the current squad play for us again. 

It's naff all to go by though.

We bought him due to having 0 fit strikers and we matched the release clause so we didn't have to bargain with Burnley.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

They’ve spent upwards of £150m in first year and have 14 years of neglect to put right and you say they’re settled for mid table????

please don’t do that - this is why people label us as delusional

I’ve said all along there’s a soft under belly to the PL, we proved in the second half of last season we were already a match for pretty much anyone outside the top 6 on a game by game basis. The peripheral European places are within sight. Yes we’ve invested and we also started from a much lower base than some of our contemporaries. Those who have done the FFP sums have suggested we can spend, so if that’s true, and I’m no expert, maybe the owners favour a conservative slower build for whatever reason. I’m happy with that but feel we are in danger of missing out on an opportunity. BTW I was in the Gallowgate/Leazes when we had 16,000 and we really were shit so fuck off with the ‘expecting too much mantra’ I just want us to maximise our potential and maintain the momentum from last season.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

A lot of us called this in the summer. Need a CM.  Need a wide attacker. 

I don't think anybody didn't realise this in the summer tbh :lol: some people just had different ideas about what would be realistically achieved

19 minutes ago, hakka said:

Seems final ball from wingers is the bigger issue. Not sure threading balls through 11 men defending deep was the answer today.

I thought the positions we needed to address most was RW and CM. 

We need sharper passing in midfield, that can give wingers a little more time and space to attack.  

Joelinton, Willock, Almiron, Fraser - that’s not enough footballing ability to create and score chances. 

Just now, christ said:

I don’t know how you forge a career in professional football and end up as one footed as Miggy is. 

The amount of time I've shook my head when people try and stick up for him. The bloke is a non entity of a footballer and Grealish was 100% correct in what he said (even though it was unprofessional)

Was clear we were two players short this summer (creative midfielder & wide forward) but I understand the limits of FFP. Still, disappointed in the sheer lack of imagination in doing more with the players we have, even the ones who clearly aren't good enough. Surely there's more to just passing around on the edge of the box or aimless non committal crosses?

When you play against a team that drop 10 behind the ball, you need wingers who can strech the line and give you width, and then actually beat a man. Almiron/Fraser/Murphy scare nobody one on one. Bournemouth just sat on their heels knowing they wouldnt be able to turn a defender or win a one on one and deliver a ball.

Think Howe should have brought wood on earlier to occupy the CBs and let Isak play a more withdrawn role where his technical ability could have caused some problems. Instead we just passed the ball around the box expecting Isak who lacks a physical presence to battle 3 CBs... hopeless.

On the bright side, we've had just about everything go against us (luck,injuries,VAR) and we're still sitting in 10th. get healthy, add some quality in January, and I still think we can push top 8

Just now, et tu brute said:

The amount of time I've shook my head when people try and stick up for him. The bloke is a non entity of a footballer and Grealish was 100% correct in what he said (even though it was unprofessional)

He is properly shit. The number of people on here who were fooled by him after preseason too :lol:

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

A lot of us called this in the summer. Need a CM.  Need a wide attacker. At some point games we were winning 1-0 would turn into draws and it’s happened from the off. 

Real test of Howe’s skills here. 

CM was not the problem today. We had no threat from the wings.

Edit. Don't really know why Willock gets so much hate. He at least gets in the box and is some kind of threat. Would make it a lot easier if wingers could actually beat a man.

Edited by KingArthur