Newcastle United vs. Everton - 19/10/22 @ 7:30pm (Amazon Prime)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, LV said:

Honestly don’t get the negativity.

We’re the best we’ve been in years. 

We’ve just gone toe to toe with Man U in their own backyard, we matched City and Liverpool. But Everton at home is making people nervous??

It's so hard to shake the feelings of the Ashley years. I think it'll take me years to start thinking positively tbh. I just can't get over the "typical us" feeling.

4 minutes ago, LV said:

We’ve just gone toe to toe with Man U in their own backyard, we matched City and Liverpool. But Everton at home is making people nervous??

I just think Newcastle will do a Newcastle and inevitably shoot themselves in the foot at some point. 

Pre-match nerves are pretty commonplace. Don’t think it is about the quality of the opposition, just the anxiety about the team doing what we know they can. Hoping against a (let’s face it, not too uncommon in the trials and tribulations of a football fan) failure to turn up or have an unlucky break.

FWIW, I think it’ll be a tight game. Everton aren’t likely to go all guns blazing. They’ll sit back and be difficult to break down. First goal is important (as ever) but even if they score first (only one mind!) I’d still fancy us to win. 

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It's so hard to shake the feelings of the Ashley years. I think it'll take me years to start thinking positively tbh. I just can't get over the "typical us" feeling.

I totally understand those feelings but I just think we need to do our own part in being a bit more confident in ourselves these days.

The concern I have is that this negativity/ anxiety, if we don’t change our mindset, will come down from the terraces and start affecting the players.

They’re confident and go into every game expecting a result so let’s help them keep that mindset, not undermine it with our own anxieties from past traumas. 

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I just think Newcastle will do a Newcastle and inevitably shoot themselves in the foot at some point. 

This is what needs to change. This mindset. 

Prediction/team I’d like to see tonight:

Pope

Trippier, Burn, Botman, Targett

Joelinton Bruno Willock

Miggy Wilson Anderson

Maybe not an ideal start for Anderson but with it being a three game week, rotate the legs etc. 

Could also see Lascelles coming in from the start this evening, for reasons noted above. 

(Schar in for Burn if not worried about his injury)

1 minute ago, LV said:

I totally understand those feelings but I just think we need to do our own part in being a bit more confident in ourselves these days.

The concern I have is that this negativity/ anxiety, if we don’t change our mindset, will come down from the terraces and start affecting the players.

They’re confident and go into every game expecting a result so let’s help them keep that mindset, not undermine it with our own anxieties from past traumas. 

I haven't noticed any negativity or anxiety in the stands in 2022 mind. 

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Pre-match nerves are pretty commonplace. Don’t think it is about the quality of the opposition, just the anxiety about the team doing what we know they can. Hoping against a (let’s face it, not too uncommon in the trials and tribulations of a football fan) failure to turn up or have an unlucky break.

FWIW, I think it’ll be a tight game. Everton aren’t likely to go all guns blazing. They’ll sit back and be difficult to break down. First goal is important (as ever) but even if they score first (only one mind!) I’d still fancy us to win. 

Sure, but let’s just recognise it as that. Just anxiety. 

It’s a thought, a feeling - not a fact.

We’re better than these, we’re at home. We’re in the best place as a club that we have been in years. We’ve matched Liverpool, both Manchester clubs. The facts would say we have a great chance of a result here.

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Sure, but let’s just recognise it as that. Just anxiety. 

It’s a thought, a feeling - not a fact.

We’re better than these, we’re at home. We’re in the best place as a club that we have been in years. We’ve matched Liverpool, both Manchester clubs. The facts would say we have a great chance of a result here.

You’re making me worried now! (Just kidding). 

3 points would be huge tonight. They will deploy a well organised low block so if we can snag an early goal it should set us up nicely, more likely to a cagey one where we really need to take the few chances we will get though. Crowd will be up for it so Pickford might burst into tears at some point.

Edited by Nine

Its the give Wilson a rest and play wood that has me worried (suggest not confirmed unless it has been since ive been working) You don't want to give struggling teams at the bottom any suggestions your handing out a free handicap. 

3 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Its the give Wilson a rest and play wood that has me worried (suggest not confirmed unless it has been since ive been working) You don't want to give struggling teams at the bottom any suggestions your handing out a free handicap. 

He won’t be starting both tonight and Sunday I wouldn’t have thought, question is which one he will be rested for.

20 minutes ago, LV said:

Styles make fights (games), though.  I thought the Man U game looked ok for us on paper with how we would play the game.  It didn't quite pay off.  But a decent enough performance and a point was seen as a good result by most, myself included.  That's exactly what happened.   

Tonight, Everton are going to try and do exactly what Bournemouth did to us and to a lesser extent, what Palace did.  We still look a bit toothless at times in attack, we have a couple of our more exciting attacking players missing and question marks around Wilson's ability to do 2 games in 4 days.  There is also some weird rivalry between the clubs now and the whole Pickford thing. 

Add in the fact that anything less than 3 points would be considered a poor result by most, again, I include myself in that.  I get why people are a bit worried.   

I'm looking forward to it with a bit of nervous excitement.  Makes a change from years of it being a chore and barely even wanting to watch. 

46 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m nervous for every game we need play and will be regardless of how good we are or become.

This.

EDIT: Infact, I think now that I care again the nerves have increased tenfold.

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He won’t be starting both tonight and Sunday I wouldn’t have thought, question is which one he will be rested for.

well the more winnable game on paper is tonight, but depends how we perform we could in theory start wood and hope quality across the pitch see's us through and Wilson comes on later if we cant break the deadlock OR you start with the strongest possible side and if you can be 2-0 up at half time take Wilson off to rest.