Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

9 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

Could be interesting if Spurs struggle this season. Fans already getting tetchy 

Aye, I think as soon as he came out with what he said after the Chelsea game last season, he was on borrowed time unless he changed things defensively.

As soon as he came in and talked the way he did, I felt like it would only be a matter of time before people become fed up with him. I’ve seen it before, they start off charming, then just become relentless insufferable pricks, see Mourinho, and Klopp.

I was open minded to giving the new CL format a go (and i'm sure there will be some drama for the end fixtures) but my initial impression is that it is shite.

There's simply too many games being played and hard to keep track of it all. Big sides playing each other too early in the competition will dilute the profile of these games. Empty seats in some matches showing that too with the prices being charged. I was at Milan-Venezia at the weekend and they had a bigger crowd for that than for the Liverpool game.

I think this will be ditched within 4-5 years.

36 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Such a strange side. Look really good in games, capable of blowing teams away. Yet the last 3 times I have seen them. They have had all the territory and possession. But only scored via an own goal, then blanked the next two (well, until just now :lol:). 

They’re really open at the back and all. So you’d like to see more from them in attack when they always commit so many men forward. 

Yeah. So much of it is confidence and getting on a roll. Tonight was generally shite - we play in a way where if everything clicks it’s absolutely devastating but if something’s a bit off it’s the toss of a coin what will happen.

Ange was getting a ton of stick for resting so many players but you’ve got to be able to win these games properly with three or four regulars in. Defence was all right, goalkeeper not good enough (and hasn’t played a game for a million years), midfield wasn’t quite working, final third decisions and movement were terrible. Werner should be tearing these teams apart and he was terrible, Solanke

ran around but wasn’t really involved, Johnson was OK and did everything right for his goal.

It was structurally poor and individually unconvincing in front of the defence. As soon as they brought Kulu and Maddison on it started to work, and Spence did a nice job out of position, apart from their goal.

Bad night but job done.

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I was open minded to giving the new CL format a go (and i'm sure there will be some drama for the end fixtures) but my initial impression is that it is shite.

There's simply too many games being played and hard to keep track of it all. Big sides playing each other too early in the competition will dilute the profile of these games. Empty seats in some matches showing that too with the prices being charged. I was at Milan-Venezia at the weekend and they had a bigger crowd for that than for the Liverpool game.

In the end, the teams who get whipped will just be whipped for a further 4 games.

They seem to think it will make it closer, but I don’t think it will.

Teams like Young Boys, and the team Celtic beat tonight are just going to end the group stage on 0-3 points.

Aston Villa were a bottom seed like we were, and they brayed Young Boys last night without even trying. I know we had the group of death last season, but look how much closer it was, how every game really mattered. If it wasn’t for a dodgy penalty away in Paris, then we likely would have went through instead of PSG, who ended up getting to the semi’s.

26 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah. So much of it is confidence and getting on a roll. Tonight was generally shite - we play in a way where if everything clicks it’s absolutely devastating but if something’s a bit off it’s the toss of a coin what will happen.

Ange was getting a ton of stick for resting so many players but you’ve got to be able to win these games properly with three or four regulars in. Defence was all right, goalkeeper not good enough (and hasn’t played a game for a million years), midfield wasn’t quite working, final third decisions and movement were terrible. Werner should be tearing these teams apart and he was terrible, Solanke

ran around but wasn’t really involved, Johnson was OK and did everything right for his goal.

It was structurally poor and individually unconvincing in front of the defence. As soon as they brought Kulu and Maddison on it started to work, and Spence did a nice job out of position, apart from their goal.

Bad night but job done.

He reminds me of Martin O'Neill.

Big on personality and motivation, not so big on actual tactics, especially in circumstances where his standard 'tactic' isn't working.

I watched cup games on both days so far over the CL as I wasn’t interested in any of the match ups and we’re still in the cup. Whether the format works will hang on how the end of the group stages works and whether there’s enough jeopardy. At the moment I agree it looks shite 

10 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I hope you’re right. I don’t see any point in it. Other than corporate greed to get more games played. 

I was kind of open minded going in. After originally being dead against it. Got to at least give it a chance. But from only loosely following it the last two nights. I’m already not a fan. 

The first night was okay-ish. Second night was boring as fuck. Let's see what the third night brings but I'm already on the train that it's shite. Too many games to follow and they'll be games between the lesser sides that nobody outside their own fans will care about. Of course, if we were in it, my opinion would be different but as a neutral right now, the Super League wannabe sucks.

Edited by nufcjb

48 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

The first night was okay-ish. Second night was boring as fuck. Let's see what the third night brings but I'm already on the train that it's shite. Too many games to follow and they'll be games between the lesser sides that nobody outside their own fans will care about. Of course, if we were in it, my opinion would be different but as a neutral right now, the Super League wannabe sucks.

This is exactly it. As a fan it’s great because you get to see a whole load of different teams home and away. As a neutral it’s not very interesting at all. At least until the latter stages.

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

32 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This is exactly it. As a fan it’s great because you get to see a whole load of different teams home and away. As a neutral it’s not very interesting at all. At least until the latter stages.

Not having a pop at you lads but maybees having this extended league format, under the guise of "widening" the cohort, is designed to illicit this response. Eventually it'll be "but we need all the top teams in this competition (wether they qualified or not) i'ts what the fans want"

40 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Not having a pop at you lads but maybees having this extended league format, under the guise of "widening" the cohort, is designed to illicit this response. Eventually it'll be "but we need all the top teams in this competition (wether they qualified or not) i'ts what the fans want"

There's nothing wrong with the teams in it, big or small. The problem is the clusterfuck that this format brings. No matter what the seedings were when the draw was made, you'll get a match between two smaller clubs or perhaps two bigger club at such an early stage in the competition and like someone earlier said, it dilutes the 'glamour' of the match or the competition itself.

The previous format had no major issues. They could have just added more teams in and still have more games that will have 'importance' riding on it. Instead, they lump everyone in this shitfest. Couldn't imagine watching a super league with only the top teams in it and with no relegation. Would.have bored the fuck out of everyone.

Edited by nufcjb

4 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Everything they do will be with the Super League in mind, whether that be trying to keep the big clubs happy to stave it off or trying to make it happen and provide a staging point on the way. I was just looking at it from a fan’s perspective. If you’re in the competition it’s pretty cool playing so many different teams. If you’re not it’s whatever the diametric opposite of compelling is.