Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

The "goal difference" scenario. Liverpool max points is 71. Assuming we get 1 win and 2 draws to equal 71, and worst case scenario win 1-0 in that game. The difference would still be 5. Meaning that Liverpool would have to beat Villa (lets say by 1) AND Southampton (lets say by 4) to beat us to it on goals scored. 

Looks a lot closer than a few weeks ago, although I would still say the above is possible but highly unllikely...

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're right, thinking that the team that has

won the Champions League, the league, accumulated 90+ points 3 times, going on huge winning runs and snatched a Champions League place in exactly this way 2 years ago would do it again was the same as thinking the earth is flat.

You're a genius :lol:

I know I'm not the fool if the bookies gave you an opportunity to 15-20x your money on something that you deemed likely (let's say two times out three so 1.5x) and you didn't use the opportunity.

Edited by Pata

I don't understand how anybody can be convinced that human made statistical models and betting odds for a sport as complex as football are perfectly represented by statistical principles. This isn't rolling a dice or flipping a coin 9 times. They are just numbers made up by humans to try and quantify something that has a whole multitude of difficult to quantify factors. It is ultimately just well educated and calculated guesswork. Leicester were 5000-1 to win the league, now you will never get any team for less than 1000-1 before a season begins. Why did that change? Why does one historical event change something so dramatically? Because at the end of the day it's just somebody's guesswork (and in the bookies case protecting their interests).

I would question this isn't a case of not understanding statistics, but actually not understanding football if you think statistical likelihood can be exactly applied. Or certainly if you think there is any singular truth that can't be reasonably contested or questioned by others.

Edited by ponsaelius

Liverpool had been in patchy form all season up when they played Arsenal at Anfield. Win 3 or 4 on the spin, lose to Leeds at home. Beat Man City, put 7 past Rangers away from home, get battered at Brighton, Brentford and Wolves consecutively. Put 7 past Man Utd, lose to Bournemouth. I'm not surprised a few thought they wouldn't win their 9 remaining games because they haven't shown that kind of form all season, nor have many clubs this season shown their usual form from seasons gone by; Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester to name a few.

But they're probably going to do it and fair play to them for doing so. We've just needed to do our own job which I hope we can, 6 points from our last 2 home games and they can't catch us. 

Either way, the 'bedwetting' patter and the opposing quasi 'told you so' patter is boring as fuck. 

It was very unlikely that liverpool would win every game. If they do it, fair enough, but it was still a very bold prediction. 

To me it did seem to be based more on fear than logic. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t understand but I don’t think we can resolve this. 

Probability doesn't apply to every team indiscriminately for a start, that's why Leicester winning despite being top for all of 15/16 was still a huge shock when it happened. 

How many times have we watched teams lose from winning positions in the league, either top or top 4 and go on to let it slip?

There's no way that the frequency with which that happens aligns with the probability of, for example, Newcastle United making the Champions League 93 times out of 100 with 4 games to go with having-already-done-it-multiple-times Liverpool behind them on 30% probability 

26 minutes ago, Pata said:

I know I'm not the fool if the bookies gave you an opportunity to 15-20x your money on something that you deemed likely (let's say two times out three so 1.5x) and you didn't use the opportunity.

I don't really gamble, especially at the moment. Weird thing to say considering ponsaelius does and has made loads of money from it though. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I don't even gamble usually [emoji38] Haven't in 10 years. I just got in on it recently to try and offset the heartbreak and because I couldn't believe how good the odds were for Liverpool to win all their games/us to finish outside the top four with Liverpool/Man United in.

Part of it was definitely just to alleviate stress, but it was equally because of how tempting the odds were. I've got two separate bets on now that will pay out about £700 just from free bets.

Edited by ponsaelius

17 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Liverpool had been in patchy form all season up when they played Arsenal at Anfield. Win 3 or 4 on the spin, lose to Leeds at home. Beat Man City, put 7 past Rangers away from home, get battered at Brighton, Brentford and Wolves consecutively. Put 7 past Man Utd, lose to Bournemouth. I'm not surprised a few thought they wouldn't win their 9 remaining games because they haven't shown that kind of form all season, nor have many clubs this season shown their usual form from seasons gone by; Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester to name a few.

But they're probably going to do it and fair play to them for doing so. We've just needed to do our own job which I hope we can, 6 points from our last 2 home games and they can't catch us. 

Either way, the 'bedwetting' patter and the opposing quasi 'told you so' patter is boring as fuck. 

Woah woah woah, as far as I can tell the 'told you so' patter wouldn't even be happening if pata wasn't flat out calling people thick for predicting it would happen. Anyone doing that is fair game in my book.

15 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think they missed a trick tonight.

could have another 2 or 3 if they;d really gome for it.

So could we against Spurs. 

I totally get conservation of energy, but we could have knocked another couple during the first half if we had kept at their throats passed 25 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

So could we against Spurs. 

I totally get conservation of energy, but we could have knocked another couple during the first half if we had kept at their throats passed 25 minutes.

We scored 5 in one half what more do you want :lol:

No team just relentlessly attacks for the whole game it's not realistic, you see it all the time teams winning 4 by half-time and then not scoring again.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

as far as I can tell the 'told you so' patter wouldn't even be happening if...

It absolutely would be. :lol: 

Regardless of whether its boring or not, airing opposing and differing views is the point of a forum at the end of the day and being called thick for them isn't on obviously. 

6 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We scored 5 in one half what more do you want :lol:

No team just relentlessly attacks for the whole game it's not realistic, you see it all the time teams winning 4 by half-time and then not scoring again.

At 25 minutes I wanted the premier league record and double figures [emoji38]

Personally I think we'll scrape top 4, but if we do lose out it will be by very fine margins (Isak's second against Liverpool, Willock vs Palace, potentially goal difference where 1 or 2 additional goals against Spurs may have seen us home). So its not frustration per se about the game, just that you get games where you can use it to improve your goal difference and we may have potentially taken the foot off the pedal 15 minutes too early.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It absolutely would be. :lol: 

Regardless of whether its boring or not, airing opposing and differing views is the point of a forum at the end of the day and being called thick for them isn't on obviously. 

Can only speak for myself but there's no fucking way I'd be saying I told you so with 2 games left for Liverpool to play, especially when my overriding belief is that football is chaos. :lol:

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Can only speak for myself but there's no fucking way I'd be saying I told you so with 2 games left for Liverpool to play, especially when my overriding belief is that football is chaos. :lol:

Not saying you would, and I'm not saying you're one of these either as I think you're a top poster (hope that's not come across patronising as fuck :lol: ) but there's always been pessimists who post their pessimism about various things to do with the club, ie getting top 4, relegations, promotions, the takeover, Benitez staying or going et cetera and due to emotional investment in the club people get rubbed up the wrong way by it. Probably just need to get a grip, like. :lol: But y'kna. 

I think they'll end up winning both, a home match and a game against a team that will finish the season on 24 points, we just have to get our 6 points and do our job. 2 home games left out of 3, howay. I'll be screaming my head off in the ground on Thursday night after 7 or 8 pints. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It’s fucking probabilities man. If something happens that has a 5-10% chance, it doesn’t change the fact that it was 5-10% chance initially instead of likely to happen. Even if Liverpool win next 20 games in a row it doesn’t change the fact that winning 9 games was never likely.

The whole forum can go ’told you so’ on me, doesn’t mean I was wrong. :lol: That 5-10% might have been 10-15% in reality but it’s still massively unlikely to happen.

I’m sorry if I’m offending people but this is honestly very basic stuff.

Edited by Pata

I think you're mistaking a rejection of your premise -at the time and now - for a basic misunderstanding of probability tbh. :lol: 

This Liverpool team has won 9 games in a row countless times in the last few seasons, they've been in these high pressure clutch situations loads, did this 2 years ago, have had over 90+ points a few times, winning titles and trophies. Then there's the favourable fixtures and players returning from injury.

The idea all of that and other factors can be reduced to a 5-10% probability or similar solely because of their poorer form earlier this season is your or whoever else's call to make, but telling people that have pretty clearly explained why they think it's a very obviously bad call that it's just that they don't understand basic probability, as if the figures are indisputable, or that it's illogical and based on fear is a bit nauseating like.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Bookies odds are never accurate anyway, they're always less than the true probability because that little slice of probability that they leave out is how they make their money and can afford to pay your bet if you win. 

I gave up betting a while ago but after many years I learnt that you can only make money from them by getting true value, and that the bookies favourites can and will absolutely lose. Hence Liverpool and Man Utd being favourites for each of their remaining games can be a positive for us ;)