Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

So linesmen nowadays flag just in case - not because they've seen someone is offside, but because they dunno and they feel they might as well let VAR decide. VAR then can't get an angle and doesn't know, so goes back to the decision of the linesman who also doesn't know, ruling out a goal with no evidence of an infraction. 

I reckon if VAR was active for our match a flag would have gone up for both the offside goals, but as it was it seemed too big a responsibility to be the sole arbiter and rule off the goal 

?

It is the first time since VAR was introduced that I have seen such a decision.

VAR must validate if its an offside or not, and the lines they draw are usually broadcasted for everyone to understand the decision.

I want to believe that someone fucked up because they wouldn't deliberately benefit a team so blatantly.

I thought the whole point of having VAR in some FA Cup games and not others was "well we've got it at the PL grounds anyway so might as well use it" but it seems like the usual cameras weren't in operation at Anfield? Unless the cameras never stretch to the corner taker on the near side? I remember something similar happening in a (I think) Juventus game.

All very strange.

People go on about how Newcastle is a one club city and use it to try and knock our support. Yet Cardiff and Leeds are both one club cities, Leeds is a fair bit bigger than Newcastle too. Their numbers aren’t anywhere near ours.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Leeds never felt like a football city when I lived there. Rugby and cricket felt just as popular, if not more so.

Aye, I think it’s possibly more significant that we’re a one sport city.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Leeds never felt like a football city when I lived there. Rugby and cricket felt just as popular, if not more so.

The local pub I used to drink in on the outskirts of Leeds used to prioritise the Rhinos games over Leeds FC if there was ever a clash between the two. The feeling I always got is that most people actively supported the Rhinos and 'followed' the football club in the same way that I 'follow' Gateshead by checking for their result and maybe going to 1-2 games a season.

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

This isn't the law for what it's worth, the defender has to make a clear attempt to play the ball. If the ball just brushes him then they'd still be offside

Aye, i should have been more specific, plays at ball as you say. Be that a good contact or brushes his hair or the end of his foot or whatever body part is stretching for the ball. Still utterly pathetic for it to be onside, but that's where we've ended up.

Edited by Bimpy474