Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

29 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Foden is such a ridiculously good footballer 

Looks like the sort of lad who’d try and beat everyone at everything 

Kip over at his and in the morning you flip the top off your brekky boiled egg in 3 seconds and he’d need to do it in 2.5 or his day would be ruined 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I don't really understand the "they'd be 10th without the points deduction" or they'd be mid table on expected points

The most important stat seems to be they're 17th with Luton breathing down their neck

It makes sense to ignore it if their actual form shows they're a midtable team and even with a 10 point deduction they're still above the relegation zone with half a season to go. 

It'll take some slump and upturn to finish below any of that bottom 3

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I don't really understand the "they'd be 10th without the points deduction" or they'd be mid table on expected points

The most important stat seems to be they're 17th with Luton breathing down their neck

There's 19 games left. Maybe with 5 games to go you'd have a point but it's clearly fair to say that if they continue anywhere near their current rate they'll be comfortable as long as they don't get whacked with more points penalties. 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Lets say they deducted 25 points off of Villa. We wont be thinking that they might get relegated just because they are suddenly 1 point below Luton after the decution. If, however, they would've been so shit this season that they somehow just managed to collect 14 points so far, then their fans would be a lot more concerned (rightly so). Do you see the difference?

Edited by Erikse

9 hours ago, Erikse said:

Lets say they deducted 25 points off of Villa. We wont be thinking that they might get relegated just because they are suddenly 1 point below Luton after the decution. If, however, they would've been so shit this season that they somehow just managed to collect 14 points so far, then their fans would be a lot more concerned (rightly so). Do you see the difference?

As Nut said earlier in the thread, for any mid to lower Premier League team 45 points would be seen as a pretty decent season, however with the 10 point deduction it's on the verge of being relegated.

To say its 'ridiculous' to suggest that they might get relegated when if Luton win their game in hand then they're in the relegation zone. Despite Everton's upturn in form they're still right in the relegation battle. I don't think they'll go down but it's certainly not ridiculous to suggest they're in a relegation battle

On 09/12/2023 at 22:45, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Because we don't get penalties. It's in the official Premier League handbook. 63 matches since our last penalty now.

This was before the Palace and Man Utd victories, and note that even if we get a penalty that graph doesn't change as it the moment we still haven't had one:

pens.thumb.png.0db24c889921588995f832ed54565e90.png

66 games it took for the penalty to finally arrive. Not sure how many touches on the box it is since we've played several more matches since it was generated, but the chart still doesn't change as we'd had zero when it was put together.

If you like a flutter, stick a quid on us getting a penalty in our next few matches. I think now the dam has burst, there will be a flood of them.

14 hours ago, Erikse said:

The problem is that when you start allowing these, defenders can start to purposely make themselves bigger in these situations and make it look unintentional. That's why handball is so complicated. Players and coaches are trying to find ways of bending the rules, and the rules are supposed to be set so that they can prevent that.

Yup. I think it was Clattenberg who tweeted about it on the BBC feed. As he suggested, managers and refs should get together and decide how it should be played. Might cut down on some whining.

Steven Gerrard :lol: they gave him Wijnaldum, Henderson, Moussa Dembele, Quaison, Demerai Gray etc and he serves up this run of results, including a live game on now. I can't stop laughing at it, it looks so depressing. Surely he's getting sacked to fuck any moment

Screenshot_20231228-160531_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5cdd058e1a113b4b8f20439033fadcb9.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_160549.thumb.jpg.b60f33a1082c5d9ead520180a952582f.jpg

I was just going to ask, are more people hoping for a Spurs win or a draw? A few weeks ago, Spurs winning would have been the worst result, so it's amazing how quickly things can change, but top 5 does feel a bit beyond us when we're getting 0 points from Luton and Forest, as well as heavy defeats this month to Everton and a supposed 6 pointer with Spurs, plus the forthcoming fixtures.

5 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I was just going to ask, are more people hoping for a Spurs win or a draw? A few weeks ago, Spurs winning would have been the worst result, so it's amazing how quickly things can change, but top 5 does feel a bit beyond us when we're getting 0 points from Luton and Forest, as well as heavy defeats this month to Everton and a supposed 6 pointer with Spurs, plus the forthcoming fixtures.

At this point it doesn’t really matter to me, we need to just start winning games before we even think about pushing for Europe.