Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, Beth said:

Cole Palmer, shit haircut, shit celebration.

He's a great player though.

Southgate doesn't half have some talent available to him.

20 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Watching a “Classic” Chelsea v Man U on Sky, think it’s from 2012 or thereabouts. Have to say it’s an absolutely cracking game. Both teams high speed, breathless football, Rooney is just brilliant, everyone on both sides playing really well. Enjoying it far more than I expected. Maybe because at this remove I don’t really care? Or maybe the football is just…better? Dunno. Jonny Evans at CB btw :lol:

Two soft Man U penalties later and I remember the annoyances :lol:. Great game though.

55 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Two soft Man U penalties later and I remember the annoyances :lol:. Great game though.

As I alluded to in another thread, football was faster paced then and frankly a better watch imo. First time passes & crosses, balls in behind, defenders being properly tested but also slick passing too. I take this back to early 2000's. I hate that it's now seen as a cardinal sin to play a ball down the line as oppose to keep passing along the 6 yard box. It leads to so many touches and the game slowing down. The same applies to getting into the final third; unless there's a absolutely clear pass on, players (likely instructed) pass the ball back and switch play in an endeavour to get into the exact same position they were already in on the other flank! And maybe then they'll shoot/cross but then perhaps not and very rarely first time.

Defenders see it all in front of them, granted teams push up with a higher line more these days. I do agree with Owen though when he said you had to have more technique in his day; because players looked forward far more, strikers subsequently had a lot of quick balls fired at them and they needed a good touch to hold it or flick it on. I don't feel you got as much space in midfield back then as you do now.

When I watch the odd lower league game I see teams trying to play out like Man City and find it infuriating and quite sad. More often than not they're giving the ball away and silly goals as a result. I hope someone breaks this spell soon and we see more variation in style and tactics. Everyone has - used to have - their favoured way of playing but there's no right way and a clash of styles is one of the things which made the game interesting.

Edited by timnufc22

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Come on, you don't like VAR because it's ruining the game, but you also want to pick fault with last minute drama like that? :lol:

There's no 'also'. VAR is a big reason for why the goals were in the 100th and 101st minute. It was tonight anyway, thanks to that idiotic pen check. 

I'm getting pretty desensitised to this late drama, like, whatever the cause. There's already been 12 more 90+ minute goals this season than in all of the next highest (2018/19), and there's still eight rounds left. Seven of the ten latest ever goals have all been this season. #limbs used to be 89 or 90 minutes but there's routinely another 10+ minutes left to play beyond that now. 

Because of course there's loads of goals going in when half the players are truly gassed, but one team has some momentum. Not to mention being asked to stand around for several minutes after 98 minutes of incredibly intense bodily exertion, only to have to immediately go again. I thought the criticism towards the ManU players re concentration was harsh for this reason. 

I get that it's exciting and funny but it's not fully real imo. 

3 hours ago, healthyaddiction said:

How many penalties do Chelsea get? Palmer has 16 goals and I think 8 of them are penalties. Is there a record for most penalties scored in a single season?

I remember Jorginho scoring 7 goals in a season for Chelsea, and they were all pens.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

There's no 'also'. VAR is a big reason for why the goals were in the 100th and 101st minute. It was tonight anyway, thanks to that idiotic pen check. 

I'm getting pretty desensitised to this late drama, like, whatever the cause. There's already been 12 more 90+ minute goals this season than in all of the next highest (2018/19), and there's still eight rounds left. Seven of the ten latest ever goals have all been this season. #limbs used to be 89 or 90 minutes but there's routinely another 10+ minutes left to play beyond that now. 

Because of course there's loads of goals going in when half the players are truly gassed, but one team has some momentum. Not to mention being asked to stand around for several minutes after 98 minutes of incredibly intense bodily exertion, only to have to immediately go again. I thought the criticism towards the ManU players re concentration was harsh for this reason. 

I don’t hate VAR to the extent you do, but I agree with this. I roll my eyes at all these headlines of latest goal ever, etc.

6 hours ago, brummie said:

He's a great player though.

Southgate doesn't half have some talent available to him.

We should piss the Euros 

42 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Awful result for us 

Always look in front of you. 

I've just had a call from Ten Hag asking me to play in defence against Liverpool.

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Why?

Because as a fan base we’re indoctrinated to expect the worst and will always look over our shoulders at what we perceive to be approaching doom 

You can sense it in the stadium when we’re heading towards the end of a tight game, the negativity, nerves and anticipation of failure are embedded in us 

Man City were exactly the same until they regularly started to win silver 

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

His reactions never seem authentic to me.

I mean, that was the biggest f**king injustice he’s ever seen, apparently :lol:

I do quite like how annoyed he was that they were trying to win the game at 3-3. The antithesis of Ange. Grow a pair, Mark.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Well it is also. The additional time isn't solely because of VAR, or even largely, it's because of this new outlook on stoppages and other factors like 5 subs, water/Ramadan breaks, injuries, celebrations etc, not predominantly VAR.

As for the rest. I dunno, seems weird to me to roll your eyes over one of the most obviously better aspects of football that we still have.

I don't see it as 'obviously better' though. How late would it have to go for you to feel the same way I do?

I don't like change, KI; that's all this is.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't see it as 'obviously better' though. How late would it have to go for you to feel the same way I do?

I don't like change, KI; that's all this is.

I wouldn't realistically ever feel how you do. :lol: They're not going to bring in something to add yet more time.

Last minute winners have always existed and have always been one of the better aspects of football from a fan/neutral perspective. I don't think that's controversial or anything is it? Would say it's obvious.

Yes they're happening more often and can be linked to the additional time, but it's still fun. 

I haven’t been paying too close attention but is Antony quitely having a bit of a redemption arc? He seems to be contributing a lot more now (I know he gave away the pen before someone mentions it). 

11 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I haven’t been paying too close attention but is Antony quitely having a bit of a redemption arc? He seems to be contributing a lot more now (I know he gave away the pen before someone mentions it). 

Not really. :lol:  The major difference with him and Rashford is that he works very hard though. He's not particularly good, but he puts in a shift. I'd have him in the team over Rashford every day of the week.

Out front four last night is our strongest front four by far IMO. Garnacho must play left wing, and taking him off was a huge mistake.

Antony is a much better player when he's not solely cutting inside and shooting, that pass with the outside of his foot last night was insane. Noticed a few times his decision making appeared to be better than what I've seen in the past. There's definitely a good player in there somewhere.