Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Seems a complete waste of energy hating Emery 

Exactly. Just chill out, enjoy the Arsenal / Liverpool implosions and have a good ebening.

Just now, The Prophet said:

I don't hate Emery and he's done an excellent job at Villa, but he does get overrated on here.

How? 

He's a winner and got Villa in the top 4, 18 months after taking over them when they were really struggling

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't hate Emery and he's done an excellent job at Villa, but he does get overrated on here.

How is he overrated, genuine question ?

How? 

He's a winner and got Villa in the top 4, 18 months after taking over them when they were really struggling

League wise, He's done brilliantly at Villa and was similarly very good at Valencia when he first came onto the scene. He probably hit par at PSG and Villareal and in the end was quite poor at Sevilla and Arsenal.

He's excelled in tournaments and made the Europa League his own.

Overall a very decent coach who's had a good career, but (in my opinion) not in the top bracket he's regularly put in behind Klopp and Guardiola.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

League wise, He's done brilliantly at Villa and was similarly very good at Valencia when he first came onto the scene. He probably hit par at PSG and Villareal and in the end was quite poor at Sevilla and Arsenal.

He's excelled in tournaments and made the Europa League his own.

Overall a very decent coach who's had a good career, but (in my opinion) not in the top bracket he's regularly put in behind Klopp and Guardiola.

Who would you put in that bracket behind klopp and pep?

They're two of the greatest coaches the league has ever seen, I'm not sure anyone is close to them right now. Granted, there's a lot of young, talented coaches I'm the division right now.

Plenty of good coaches in the league but Emery has a huge amount of trophies behind him to support he's possibly the best of the rest

Edited by joeyt

Plenty of good coaches in the league but Emery has a huge amount of trophies behind him to support he's possibly the best of the rest

and he hasnt had hundreds of millions to spend.

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Fair. It's all subjective at the end of the day and I'm sure Villa fans don't give a shit while he's doing a brilliant job there.

He's pretty much mirrored what Eddie Howe has done. Took a poor prem league team fighting relegation and got them into champions league first full season. Villa have never been in Champions League since 1982 so thats some going if you ask me. He's an outstanding manager in my opinion 

Rather villa got in champions league than Spurs. I think it's good these clubs are disrupting it. Also happy if Man City keep winning it and keep the seat warm for us as they and the most likeable tbf

The thing that is impressive with Emery is the total shit show of Gerrard that he took over. 

He took us from 17th (and only not 18th on goal difference) and with a squad that was totally demoralised by Gerrard’s mind games after a third of the season and got us into Europe having added only one player in the January window. 

He’s been amazing, but I think the circumstances he took over in gets forgotten by the media, mostly because they can’t accommodate the evidence that their hero Stevie G was a total fucking fraud.

One other thing worth memtioning that doesn’t get highlighted much in the media - they also changed the entire football management side of things - Monchi on transfers (another proven winner) and Vidagamy as Emery’s right hand man, they’re the triangle of power basically, it’s not all about the manager. 

They also binned Christian Purslow, who I thought largely did a good job, but made the fatal error of pushing hard for Gerrard when Sawiris and Edens (the owners) were apparently far from convinced. 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

How? 

Apart from having a third of the losses artwata has at arsenal and massively over achieving at villa what's he done? 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

48 minutes ago, brummie said:

The thing that is impressive with Emery is the total shit show of Gerrard that he took over. 

He took us from 17th (and only not 18th on goal difference) and with a squad that was totally demoralised by Gerrard’s mind games after a third of the season and got us into Europe having added only one player in the January window. 

He’s been amazing, but I think the circumstances he took over in gets forgotten by the media, mostly because they can’t accommodate the evidence that their hero Stevie G was a total fucking fraud.

One other thing worth memtioning that doesn’t get highlighted much in the media - they also changed the entire football management side of things - Monchi on transfers (another proven winner) and Vidagamy as Emery’s right hand man, they’re the triangle of power basically, it’s not all about the manager. 

They also binned Christian Purslow, who I thought largely did a good job, but made the fatal error of pushing hard for Gerrard when Sawiris and Edens (the owners) were apparently far from convinced. 

Fuck Villa (sorry Brum)

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Fuck Villa (sorry Brum)

Kidding nobody. 

Let me know when you want to come down for a match, I’ll make your dreams come true toony 

Nice of them to do "how good were Palace's front three" rather than focus on Liverpool's troubles first up. Makes me even more irritated last night that they went "Isak's good, now here's 10 mins on Spurs being shit" 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Again to reiterate, I think he's a good coach, but there's not much to pick between him and a lot of the other high quality coaches in the league.

Silverware experience done it in different leagues.