Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

12 hours ago, brummie said:

It's more than a bit depressing in one way, but it is also an indicator in differing mindsets.

Even though we've finished way above them in the league, and had a good season, they've been absolutely fucking shit all season, but they've still managed somehow to win an FA Cup - a thing we haven't done since 1957, which for their fans is utterly routine, almost underwhelming, but for us would mean absolutely tons.

It's deeply, deeply annoying.

Precisely why I proper fucking hate Neville and co when they whine about Man Utd not being able to compete with Liverpool/Man City. They’ve spent a billion in past decade and still won more trophies bar the two mentioned. 

Entitled group of pricks who haven’t even come close to experiencing the lows yet. Go a decade at least without a trophy first before wanting sympathy.

14 hours ago, PhilT said:

Today was depressing. Gutted that we’ll not be playing in Europe next season but also that reminder of what a closed shop the trophy winners club is. United have been awful in the last couple of years but have still managed to add two trophies. Meanwhile, our wait goes on…

Please don’t refer to man united as United on a Newcastle United forum.

34 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Agree on this after living there for 17 years. Never thought about it but no I can’t think of any Man U I knew down there. A few West Ham fans, shit loads of spurs, hell even three QPR fans and a lot of Arsenal but can’t think of any Man U off the top of my head.

It’s places like Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury, Lincoln, Reading. There’s supporter buses and replica shirt from these type of places, most of who have zero meaningful connection to Manchester as a city or area.

Just now, Nucasol said:

It’s places like Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury, Lincoln, Reading. There’s supporter buses and replica shirt from these type of places, most of who have zero meaningful connection to Manchester as a city or area.

Never traveled to those so don’t know but interesting. Local teams don’t get supported, I now live in Loughborough and work in Nottingham and again surrounded by Notts forest, county or Leicester fans. it’s weird how it’s different in the Home Counties areas then.

13 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Precisely why I proper fucking hate Neville and co when they whine about Man Utd not being able to compete with Liverpool/Man City. They’ve spent a billion in past decade and still won more trophies bar the two mentioned. 

Entitled group of pricks who haven’t even come close to experiencing the lows yet. Go a decade at least without a trophy first before wanting sympathy.

Go onto the Howe forum and read most of it - to be fair a lot of our fans are becoming entitled very quickly.  Every club has them I reckon.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Never traveled to those so don’t know but interesting. Local teams don’t get supported, I now live in Loughborough and work in Nottingham and again surrounded by Notts forest, county or Leicester fans. it’s weird how it’s different in the Home Counties areas then.

I live in Bicester for now and it’s bizarrely riddled with them. Expected more London clubs given it’s only 45 mins on the train but tends to be them and Liverpool. Similarly the places above and also heading south west into the Cotswolds to places like Cheltenham and Gloucester.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I’m currently in Crawley for the weekend, aside from a lower league team they are not really a catchment area for any club. Brighton have apparently gained more popularity in recent years, and apparently Palace are also popular, although I haven’t seen anything on the latter.

So far I have seen a few Man Utd tops, an Arsenal top, a Benfica top, and a Sporting Lisbon top. My fiancée’s father is a Spurs fan. I have also seen 1 Brighton training top.

Amazingly though yesterday we were sat outside a cafe and my fiancée pointed out someone wearing a Newcastle top, I briefly spoke to him and he has an aged NUFC tattoo. Not sure why he supports us, I never got the chance to ask him, certainly didn’t have a Geordie accent.

Edited by Stifler

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m currently in Crawley for the weekend, aside from a lower league team they are not really a catchment area for any club. Brighton have apparently gained more popularity in recent years, and apparently Palace are also popular, although I haven’t seen anything on the latter.

So far I have seen a few Man Utd tops, an Arsenal top, a Benfica top, and a Sporting Lisbon top. My fiancée’s father is a Spurs fan. I have also seen 1 Brighton training top.

Amazingly though yesterday we were sat outside a cafe and my fiancée pointed out someone wearing a Newcastle top, I briefly spoke to him and he has an aged NUFC tattoo. Not sure why he supports us, I never got the chance to ask him, certainly didn’t have a Geordie accent.

Always thought that area would support Chelsea if not Brighton given the Cobham connection. Place like Reigate, Horsham, Horley, Smallfield etc.

52 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I live within spitting distance of Coventry, very close, and have done for twenty years now. It’s about 30 miles to Birmingham City centre and 8 to Cov. 

Until this season I reckon I had actually seen people wearing Coventry shirts about ten times in all that time. 

I reckon I’ve seen three or four times as many since they reached the semi final, very often young kids and fair play to them. Its good to see them claiming fans  in their own back yard. 

Even though they loathe us, our fans genuinely not even remotely interested in Coventry, and I wanted them to win that semi final. 

Normally around here see plenty of Villa, the occasional other midlands club (Wolves, Albion even Blues sometimes) and odd ones from around the country which are clearly transplanted natives. 

However there are a depressing amount of Liverpool mostly, slightly fewer Man United, the occasional Chelsea. Pretty much zero Man City. 

i loathe glory hunters. We were on the M40 yesterday and there were loads of Man United scarves flying from cars (barely any Man City). Genuinely triggered me to the extent the Mrs was practically crying, it annoyed me so much. 

the only way I could hate them more would be if I supported another United team and had to put up with hearing them say they “support United” like you’re meant to automatically know which one they mean. I always make a point of asking them to specify even if it’s obvious they mean Man United. 

I would genuinely much rather my kids supported Blues or Albion than be glory hunters. 

I can think of fewer things I’d less like to see my kids become. Criminals, Tories. That’s about it, though. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I’ve been here since Friday and I just generally get the impression that football isn’t even that big of a deal around here. Someone below me mentioned they thought Chelsea would be popular here, since my post earlier I have actually seen a kid wearing a Chelsea training top.

In general I just don’t think it’s as popular.

Even in term of Crawley who have had a fairly big takeover in recent years, and last week played in and won a play off final. There is nothing around here to indicate that it even happened. In North Shields, where I live, our pubs still have the windows painted from the EFL Cup final last year, and in some cases refreshed with a Champions League painting.

I saw a kid with a Man Utd top on here after they won, just going about like any ordinary day. A little kid, he mustn’t have been around when they last won the league, but they still win cups to an extent that there is no real excitement at all.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bdea2a1fd57fe14f4c95aaf17f2c2793.jpeg

Ten Haag since yesterday. I really hope they’re stuck with him.

This would be the only positive to come out of yesterday, he will never progress them as a manager, but hopefully he bought himself another 6 months.

seeing ETH with another trophy is quite galling, as well as all their entitled fans who wanted him gone weeks ago celebrating

suppose they have one of the most expensive squads ever assembled and the highest wage bills in world football, as well as some genuine talent from their academy 

still jammiest team ever - should have lost against Coventry 

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

Update.

Just saw another Newcastle fan here. Also saw a 2nd Arsenal shirt, a couple more Man Utd fans, a West Ham fan (fully decked out), and a kid wearing a PSG top.

Posted (edited)

U21 Final at ours today v Sunderland. All of our defenders are dead so should be a high-scoring one. Guessing we’ll be jet lagged to fuck too.

Edited by leffe186

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Wonder if Leeds go up the Longstaff link might get stronger 

35-40 mil. Six goals(And another in the CL) and two assists. They might be stupid enough to pay it. 

43 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Fancy Southampton here. 

If they win they might make Fraser move permanent