Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

21 hours ago, Kimbo said:

The Guardian are doing their top 100 players and it’s already a steaming pile of shite. I don’t know why they bother. Apparently Nunez is significantly “better” than Isak, imagine being a football journalist and holding that opinion.

Disagree

15 hours ago, Guybrush said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67759565

Can't agree with any of Wengers points here, particularly while observing our current injury crisis.

From a business perspective, another competition expansion does nothing but dilute the brand, squeeze your top assets, and reduce the quality of the product.

From a human perspective you're running players into the ground, with much more chance for injury and fatigue. 

If the powers that be want more football to sell, elevate the women's game and get the lower national leagues on TV more. People would watch it.

In conclusion, WENGER OUT.

At an absolute baseline level I think a tournament like that is quite an exciting idea but it's ridiculously unfeasible. At this point it's unfair on players who are just being treated as financial assets and commodities, and whose bodies are just being expected to run around forever, constantly, until all of their muscles and tendons have snapped.

That's before we consider how heavily weighted it is in favour of existing strength, undermining its USP as we inevitably end up with a mini-CL by the last 8. The tide is hardly lifting all boats if you're only contributing ones and twos from entire continents. 

3 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Isak been poor his last 10 games 

He's obviously a more talented footballer than Nunez though, and he has a better scoring record. Nunez has his plus points but on a technical level he often looks like Andy Carroll. He was way ahead of Watkins in the guardians list as well. Madness IMO.

21 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

He's obviously a more talented footballer than Nunez though, and he has a better scoring record. Nunez has his plus points but on a technical level he often looks like Andy Carroll. He was way ahead of Watkins in the guardians list as well. Madness IMO.

Nunez has a much better scoring record than both Isak and Watkins 

Just now, tgarve said:

Nunez has a much better scoring record than both Isak and Watkins 

Only if you count the Portuguese league.

In the premier league;

Isak 17 in 31

Watkins 49 in 126

Nunez 13 in 45

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

In the premier league;

Isak 17 in 31

Watkins 49 in 126

Nunez 13 in 45

Their careers are longer than that though? 

you can’t just pick stats out a hat to suit your agenda

20 hours ago, Guybrush said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67759565

Can't agree with any of Wengers points here, particularly while observing our current injury crisis.

From a business perspective, another competition expansion does nothing but dilute the brand, squeeze your top assets, and reduce the quality of the product.

From a human perspective you're running players into the ground, with much more chance for injury and fatigue. 

If the powers that be want more football to sell, elevate the women's game and get the lower national leagues on TV more. People would watch it.

In conclusion, WENGER OUT.

Sadly Wenger is nothing but a paid FIFA shill these days. Only the other year he was pushing that the World Cup should be every two years. 

29 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

In the premier league;

Isak 17 in 31

Watkins 49 in 126

Nunez 13 in 45

worth pointing out Watkins has almost as many assists as goals this season. Pretty sure he’s second only to Haaland. 

i had written him off (on here too) not that long ago. 

28 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Their careers are longer than that though? 

you can’t just pick stats out a hat to suit your agenda

I picked the stats most suitable to comparing them. The Portuguese league is notorious for high scoring strikers that are pretty mediocre when they move to better leagues.

On 18/12/2023 at 16:15, GeordieDazzler said:

7 more goals from English players than the next closest team 

image.thumb.png.ae9a3325d5106ae1bb6f8df0ece54afd.png

Took me a while to work out what I'm looking at and I'm still not 100%, but it looks like as of this chart we've got 25 goals scored by English players and Arsenal have 21, so four more?

3 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Took me a while to work out what I'm looking at and I'm still not 100%, but it looks like as of this chart we've got 25 goals scored by English players and Arsenal have 21, so four more?

No it’s the league table if only the goals by domestic players counted towards the result. The 21:4 is goals for and against. So we have 21 goals by domestic players and have only conceded 4 to them. 

23 hours ago, Yorkie said:

At an absolute baseline level I think a tournament like that is quite an exciting idea but it's ridiculously unfeasible. At this point it's unfair on players who are just being treated as financial assets and commodities, and whose bodies are just being expected to run around forever, constantly, until all of their muscles and tendons have snapped.

That's before we consider how heavily weighted it is in favour of existing strength, undermining its USP as we inevitably end up with a mini-CL by the last 8. The tide is hardly lifting all boats if you're only contributing ones and twos from entire continents. 

They want to fix European competitions before even thinking about it.  Next year’s European Cup just looks awful.

Various iterations have been tried before, and they don’t work because the quality isn’t even close to being there, and most of the clubs have zero appeal in Europe or South America.  

The European clubs won’t risk their players in every game and will treat it like glorified friendlies.  It’ll last less than a decade before being killed off, only for another revival of some sort a few years later.