Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

Saka is injured and out of the pointless friendly against Oz and the Italy game. S:anguish:uthgate not calling up a replacement. Classic.

Probably scared Gordon or someone else coming in and playing well.

I mean we might need a result against Italy but better not risk upsetting his Team England mentality.

Watched the TNT highlights of the 01-02 champions league final between Bayern and Valencia. Couldn’t remember the game from when I was younger but it looked like one of the worst finals ever.

Then watched the highlights of 03-04 Porto - Monaco. Some disgusting linesmen decisions against Monaco. Thank fuck the offside officiating is largely a load better nowadays 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Watched the TNT highlights of the 01-02 champions league final between Bayern and Valencia. Couldn’t remember the game from when I was younger but it looked like one of the worst finals ever.

Then watched the highlights of 03-04 Porto - Monaco. Some disgusting linesmen decisions against Monaco. Thank fuck the offside officiating is largely a load better nowadays 

This would be Valencia under Hector Cuper? One of the most defensive coaches in that era (although his Inter team thumped us 4-1)

For me the worst final was Juve vs AC Milan - literally the most pointless 120 mins of football ever 

Offsides pre-VAR were so often incorrect. We don't appreciate it enough.

Some crazy fouls too. This was normal for Man Utd 

Edited by The College Dropout

Hate to dredge this up again, but this is such a great quote from - well you all know where - so here’s the current state of play:

”I think the silence means that there is maybe contemplation on what legal avenues are available and what financial recourse there may be should we, for instance, miss out on something significant by a point or three. For instance, we all know CL qualification is highly lucrative, and missing out on that revenue will impact us on many levels - from transfer budgets to sponsorship dollars. This will be quantified and I believe it will then be communicated to the PGMOL, and then left for them to decide how they think to best proceed. They might then revise their hard stance on the result and the idea of a replay. Or the club may lay bait, and only use it if and when we do miss out on something lucrative. We are still able to win the league or qualify for CL from here, in fact we are in a very good position to do just that.
It would be even more damning for the PGMOL I think, if Spurs are the ones to qualify at our expense.
Think there’s just lots of lawyering happening, but behind the scenes within minimum disruption to our team.”

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

I watched highlights from Leicesters CL quarterfinal vs Atletico. Leicester were absolutely robben on several occasions, and VAR would've probably corrected them. I've seen highlights from other older games too, same story then. Nearly every game they got a key decision wrong. It's easy to forget how bad it was before VAR, we were just used to big mistakes back then. Whenever VAR makes a mistake, someone comes out to say that the solution to that is to scrap VAR.. As if that leads to less mistakes.[emoji38] Anyone who tries to say that the decisions are worse now because the refs have gotten too lazy to make the decision, and then it's not clear and obvious, needs to start watching older games and compare them to modern ones.

Edited by Erikse

15 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I watched highlights from Leicesters CL quarterfinal vs Atletico. Leicester were absolutely robben on several occasions, and VAR would've probably corrected them. I've seen hjioghlights from other older games too, same story then. Nearly every game they got a key decision wrong. It's easy to forget how bad it was before VAR, we were just used to big mistakes back then. Whenever VAR makes a mistake, someone comes out to say that the solution to that is to scrap VAR.. As if that leads to less mistakes.[emoji38] Anyone who tries to say that the decisions are worse now because the refs have gotten too lazy to make the decision, and then it's not clear and obvious, needs to start watching older games and compare them to modern ones.

Another one of my favourites is when Man U beat the Arsenal Invincibles run.

Refereeing disasterclass.

You're talking 5-6 awful decisions. Not one wrong decision and one dubious one as we get now.

1 minute ago, OCK said:

I don't think I realised how good Hazard was at his absolute peak. Watching the Sky Sports Premier League Heroes program, he was insane. 

He was great on his day. 2018 World Cup I thought he was the best player. He was dazzling in the Brazil & France games.

Most players born in the 90s still have some good years left in them. My top 3 so far would be - Mbappe, Neymar then Hazard. 1 has retired, and another is in semi-retirement. Both you feel could've achieved more. Mbappe has time on his hands.

I have KDB a distant 4th. He has a great career but he's a step down in talent.

Have to admit, watching those old matches did make me appreciate VAR a lot more. Can’t believe we put up with that standard of officiating. I know there’s still loads to complain about but you were talking match-defining incorrect decisions in most weekly games whereas now it’s maybe down to a handful of games 

Have to admit, watching those old matches did make me appreciate VAR a lot more. Can’t believe we put up with that standard of officiating. I know there’s still loads to complain about but you were talking match-defining incorrect decisions in most weekly games whereas now it’s maybe down to a handful of games 

I said this in the Referee thread, anyone who says VAR is worse than not having it has a fucking short memory. We used to get done over on an almost weekly basis. Remember when we went about 5 premier league seasons without an opponent getting a red card? :lol:

26 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I said this in the Referee thread, anyone who says VAR is worse than not having it has a fucking short memory. We used to get done over on an almost weekly basis. Remember when we went about 5 premier league seasons without an opponent getting a red card? :lol:

Was there a season we only got our first penalty in April or something? In the latter Ashley years?