Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

9 minutes ago, huss9 said:

technically our second most successful manager of all time cos he reached a final.

but his management of that game is one of the main reasons i hate him. he hasnt learnt from it all. 

in my eyes none of the likes of venables, hoddle, SBR  etc would have surrendered to italy the way we did and played to avoid defeat with the talent we had in the squad.

he failed his biggest test.

This is one of those hypothetical realities. You don't see the contradiction in what you're saying then? Considering none of those managers even got the chance, because they fell at earlier hurdles? None of those managers weren't guilty of similar failings either. 

Every success can't be in spite of him while every failure is because of him.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You don't see the contradiction in what you're saying then? Considering none of those managers even got the chance, because they fell at earlier hurdles. None of those managers weren't guilty of similar failings either. 

Every success can't be in spite of him while every failure is because of him.

Robson and Venables got ‘90s Germany for their semis.  Southgate got Croatia and Denmark for his.

Who you draw against really does count for something.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, it’s completely accurate.  The US were shite.  England were fucking shite. 

Can't believe how hurt some of you are about how much better the US looked. This is painful to read man :lol:

The US were decent, mainly in their organisation in stopping England playing through. 

England were awful, for some reason just didn’t engage with the opposition. Maybe because they really knew a draw would put them in control of the group. 

FWIW I don’t think bringing Henderson on was that bad a move. Added a bit of energy and reduced the chances of losing. 

Southgate is what he is. I’ll admit the Iran game got me excited, but the overall plan was always to keep it tight and bore our way to a trophy. 

The US probably played close to as well as they can, so I’d have to say it was a good performance. If they had put a couple of chances away and won 2-0 you wouldn’t say it was undeserved on the balance of play.

Just now, KaKa said:

Can't believe how hurt some of you are about how much better the US looked. This is painful to read man :lol:

I’m not hurt at all.  Honestly couldn’t give a shite if England go through or not.  But I don’t like being bored watching a game.  That was a poor team playing a hobbled team.

Unless I was watching a different game, that was a fucking boring 0-0

Just now, Kimbo said:

The US probably played close to as well as they can, so I’d have to say it was a good performance. If they had put a couple of chances away and won 2-0 you wouldn’t say it was undeserved on the balance of play.

The US should have won comfortably.  Poor finishing cost them

The US moved the ball extremely well through defence into midfield and then midfield ran really well and passed quickly through the middle but didn’t manage to make as much of wide positions. They were missing both a great striker and a great winger. Overall though, technically they were very impressive and an incredibly organised side. England were generally awful everywhere apart from defence. Trippier and Saka linked up well a few times early on but apart from that it was so slow 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Robson and Venables got ‘90s Germany for their semis.  Southgate got Croatia and Denmark for his.

and went to try and actually win them, just fell short and lost on pels on each occasion.

southgate is not even close to venables or SBR in terms of best england coaches. would even rate hoddle higher.

Just now, gbandit said:

The US moved the ball extremely well through defence into midfield and then midfield ran really well and passed quickly through the middle but didn’t manage to make as much of wide positions. They were missing both a great striker and a great winger. Overall though, technically they were very impressive and an incredibly organised side. England were generally awful everywhere apart from defence. Trippier and Saka linked up well a few times early on but apart from that it was so slow 

Trippier was as bad as everyone out there - or am I deluded for thinking he’s better than that performance?  That’s what so many on here seem to be implying.  That it’s ‘arrogance’ to think these players can play better than the way they were set up.  Shaw was timewasting with less than 10 mins to go.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

and went to try and actually win them, just fell short and lost on pels on each occasion.

southgate is not even close to venables or SBR in terms of best england coaches. would even rate hoddle higher.

Likewise.  This is the England side built from the youth teams who won the U-17 and U-20 WCs and U-19 Euros in quick succession, having the handbrake applied by the man who broke the Smoggies

28 minutes ago, huss9 said:

eh? Howe started with a winless team bottom of the league, zero confidence and no coaching for over 2 years.

he got them turned round within months and brought in decent players.

southgate has been there years and still has no plan b or idea how to use the few world class players that he's got.

My point wasn’t about the time he’s been there, it’s more about the overreaction to a single game. There are loads of teams who have had a shit game in the group stage and gone on to win the whole thing - we did the same in the euros and reached the final. A tournament is a separate beast. Teams can go into a tournament in shit form and win it. At the end of the day we’ve drawn a game we should have won 11 v 11, but are going to go through to the knockouts regardless. Judgement should come at the end of the tournament. If we go out in the next round or quarters with a drab performance like that then fair enough, Southgate will probably have taken us as far as he can and it’s time for a change. But until that’s actually happened, let’s all just chill a little and wait and see? It’s one game, and it doesn’t necessarily define our tournament any more than the Iran game does. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The likes of France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil, Argentina were still in those tournaments. 

These supposedly lesser teams beat bigger teams, they come up against Southgate's England, England win and it counts for nothing. England then beat Germany in the 2nd round at the Euros, somehow still means nothing.

Honestly, people go on like we were consistently up there fighting with the best of them before Southgate. It's like Iceland never happened. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, gazza ladra said:

I’ve never see the US put in three decent performances in a World Cup group stage. There’s always been at least one stinker.  

Hopefully the Wales match will count as our stinker 

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

To say that the U.S. midfield was shit is pretty ridiculous. Defense and midfield were very organized today.

They played a boring, staid style of football, aided and abetted by an England side who seemed perfectly happy to not press and play for the easy draw.  It had all of the excitement of a pre-season friendly played under a hot sun.  The US had all the time in the world to regroup.

I just want the proper football to restart, watching Newcastle win a corner will always means more than England winning a game - and it’s a shitload more exciting

The Wales result earlier in the day had an impact on the shitfest tonight imo. Southgate saw that result and decided that the game tonight as simply 'must not lose. Keep a clean sheet at all costs' and the performance mirrored that. Zero invention or creativity, n ambition, no movement, minimal work-rate, men behind the ball, negative subs and awful tempo to the entire game.

They say teams reflect the manager and that honking bowl of pigshit tonight mirrored Southgate 100%. Dull, unimaginative, boring, slow and turgid. It's Southgate in a nutshell that. When he allows them play a bit then the players often respond accordingly but he had them on a very short leash tonight and it was pitiful to watch 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

The likes of France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil, Argentina were still in those tournaments. 

These supposedly lesser teams beat bigger teams, they come up against Southgate's England, England win and it counts for nothing. England then beat Germany in the 2nd round at the Euros, somehow still means nothing.

I trust you’re not suggesting that 2021 Germany is the same as 1990/96 Germany :) 

And England didn’t beat Croatia, from memory

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

You are losing the plot, man. They did not play a boring, staid style. They attacked with purpose and pace. Just seriously missing quality in the final third. 

Sorry Vinny, no plot lost here.  Just like several other games at this WC that was an eyesore.  I’m not sure the US team realised just how up for grabs that game was - they should have won easily.