Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Can only play the team in front of you…England came out like they were content with a draw. They were ultimately vindicated, but I don’t think it’s outlandish to suggest that they got lucky with that result, either.

Iran game has shades of the 2010 Algeria match for us. Iran will be happy with a draw and will likely park the bus for 90 minutes. I’m afraid we won’t be able to break them down…We don’t have a Donovan or Dempsey to call upon this time around.

Yeah, I think it’ll be a canny game to watch - two evenly matched sides with everything to play for, who know they likely need to win. 

Perfect game for those who buy into the media narrative of England’s midfielders being worth £100-150 😂

Scout and scout further. Bruno ain’t no world beater but at £32m you see the value surely?

In hindsight, I’m not so annoyed about the defensive approach as I am the fact we were absolute turd. I know it’s been mentioned before that winners of international tournaments can often be dull to watch, but that wasn’t a solid performance in spite of that. It was a complete shambles. We should be thankful Maguire played well, but also that USA don’t have a good striker. They outplayed us otherwise and had the better chances. I feel there’s no defence for that, even if they have decent players there, as we should at least be controlling these games. 

Edited by St. Maximin

1 hour ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Drop him in NUFC’s midfield to free up Bruno and we’re laughing our way into the top 4

He’s far better than I rated him prior to this cup; Mckennie has some Big Jow vibes in terms of strength and pace…but Musah is the one I’m most excited about. 

its not that we were shit today thats annoying.

we've been shit and lucky in the past.

the annoying thing is the lack of tactical nous or desire/knowledge to identify things arent working or players arent at it and then make changes accodringly and in plenty of time. just same old, same old.

we're effectively through to the next round so i hope he tinkers with team and tactics and lets the team express themselves a little more.

we'd have to get absolutely battered off wales and even then it would need iran and usa to draw to get knocked out.

Edited by huss9

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Ironically Maguire was our best player today. We also looked slightly less shite when Henderson came on, but to be fair he couldn't be worse then Bellingham.

Ironically? He's probably been your best player over the last 4 years :lol:

39 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Probably the best outcome then tbh. Canada have a smaller population so less people will suffer.

Canada gave the world John Candy, Rick Moranis, SCTV and Norm Macdonald. We don’t deserve Corden.

It's hilarious that there are people who think Southgate deserves the job because he's such a nice guy. He did a nice job getting rid of the toxic atmosphere around the team but you really should have gone and hired a real coach after the Euros. It was the best chance ever to win something with the favourable draw and home field advantage and he bottled it. He's a tactical dinosaur who will replace Bellingham with Phillips or Hendo in the knockouts and/or change it to a back 5. He's so scared of losing that the margin of error gets too small, one set-piece goal or soft penalty against England and he has no idea how to turn it around. All he has is the plan A of keeping it tight and hope to nick it at some point.

Can you imagine how the game would have looked if Southgate was the coach for USA and (the not that highly rated?) Berhalter for England? I really enjoy international football due to its purity but it's a shame how far it has fallen of club football regarding managers. Most of the big countries employ dinosaurs as the young exciting management talent just isn't interested or FA's are too scared to hire anyone without a big status. It should be exciting to get to watch France, England, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands etc. with all that talent in their squads but so often it's just dull as everyone is playing not to lose. Seeing how Howe changed us from the ultimate dross to extremely enjoyable to watch so quickly just makes it worse.

Edited by Pata

5 hours ago, huss9 said:

we're effectively through to the next round so i hope he tinkers with team and tactics and lets the team express themselves a little more.

we'd have to get absolutely battered off wales and even then it would need iran and usa to draw to get knocked out.

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

5 hours ago, huss9 said:

its not that we were shit today thats annoying.

we've been shit and lucky in the past.

the annoying thing is the lack of tactical nous or desire/knowledge to identify things arent working or players arent at it and then make changes accodringly and in plenty of time. just same old, same old.

I just don’t think Southgate has any tactical ability or in game management. A decent coach would’ve changed things much earlier when it clearly wasn’t working and found a way to get Foden on. He has a defensive mindset and simply doesn’t know how to harness our attacking talent available. 

3 hours ago, Pata said:

It's hilarious that there are people who think Southgate deserves the job because he's such a nice guy. He did a nice job getting rid of the toxic atmosphere around the team but you really should have gone and hired a real coach after the Euros. It was the best chance ever to win something with the favourable draw and home field advantage and he bottled it. He's a tactical dinosaur who will replace Bellingham with Phillips or Hendo in the knockouts and/or change it to a back 5. He's so scared of losing that the margin of error gets too small, one set-piece goal or soft penalty against England and he has no idea how to turn it around. All he has is the plan A of keeping it tight and hope to nick it at some point.

Can you imagine how the game would have looked if Southgate was the coach for USA and (the not that highly rated?) Berhalter for England? I really enjoy international football due to its purity but it's a shame how far it has fallen of club football regarding managers. Most of the big countries employ dinosaurs as the young exciting management talent just isn't interested or FA's are too scared to hire anyone without a big status. It should be exciting to get to watch France, England, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands etc. with all that talent in their squads but so often it's just dull as everyone is playing not to lose. Seeing how Howe changed us from the ultimate dross to extremely enjoyable to watch so quickly just makes it worse.

Boy howdy this ain’t wrong. :clap:

Hell yeah dude for nailing it.