57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, James said:

If you look at PPG this calendar year we are actually 3rd. I know it will require a lot to happen between now and the end of the season but we could finish top 4

We still have the momentum but we really rode our luck at times during that period. Having another run like that for a season just isn't likely at all. That said, Howe has had a pre-season now and we are going to be better but other teams are stronger too.

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

We still have the momentum but we really rode our luck at times during that period. Having another run like that for a season just isn't likely at all. That said, Howe has had a pre-season now and we are going to be better but other teams are stronger too.

Just winning that first game was massive, I’m about to go into overdrive if we beat Brighton.

Bettering West Ham and Leicester City are the immediate goals. Wolves and Villa appear to be defeating themselves.

Top 6 is possible only  if Man Utd or Chelsea? massively screw up. (Chelsea seem to me to have a stink about them. Too much talent, money, etc. for it go that bad etc. But here’s hoping)

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Right now, tenth. We'll hit a sticky period at some point I'm sure and Wilson will get injured. But sign someone on Maddison's level and we've a real shot at 6th.

I don’t think people realise the implications of us finishing in basically the same position as last season. We won’t hold on to our top players if we don’t show progression and 10th absolutely isn’t progression. We were 3 points off 8th last season despite our campaign only really starting in November. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I don’t think people realise the implications of us finishing in basically the same position as last season. We won’t hold on to our top players if we don’t show progression and 10th absolutely isn’t progression. We were 3 points off 8th last season despite our campaign only really starting in November. 

i don’t think it would happen that quickly. If we miss Europe for the next two seasons then I could see Bruno probably wanting a new challenge. The rest aren’t really good enough (maybe ASM or Joelinton if they take the next step) or are getting too old to have much demand for them (Trippier, Wilson, Schär).

8th-10th this season and imo we should be fine to build on from that.

19 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We were / are in an ideal position to build on the last 5 months of last season. If we fail to do that, and essentially go backwards, why would we be in a better position 12 months on? 

I don’t think 10th would be seen as going backwards. That’s right around where we were in expected points for the latter half of the season despite the massive points tally. The teams around those places have all strenghtened themselves too outside of Brighton (who probably have £100m to still spend on this window) and Leicester. And if Leicester sell Fofana for £80m they have money to buy a new CB and a RW and are arguably better off as Fofana didn’t really play last season.

It wouldn’t be ideal but I don’t think finishing behind West Ham, Leicester and Brighton/Villa would be seen as a failure by any of our players. Only possible problem is that if Bruno keeps up this form one of the massive clubs (like Real Madrid who have an aging CM group) could turn his head but that could happen just as easily if we finished 7th instead of 10th.

Edited by Pata

I said 8th, though I'm not sure who I'd actually put as 7th above us, so think we've got a very good shot at 7th too. 6th or higher is hard to imagine, especially if we're relying on Wilson fitness, but we could realistically sneak 6th with ManU or someone having a dodgy year. I think below 8th will be a disappointment considering the second half of last season and the additions we've made since. We should be definitely aiming to establish ourselves at the top one or two teams outside the top 6, ready to push on into the 6 next season. We should also be giving the cups a good go.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

11 minutes ago, Pata said:

I don’t think 10th would be seen as going backwards. That’s right around where we were in expected points for the latter half of the season despite the massive points tally. The teams around those places have all strenghtened themselves too outside of Brighton (who probably have £100m to still spend on this window) and Leicester. And if Leicester sell Fofana for £80m they have money to buy a new CB and a RW and are arguably better off as Fofana didn’t really play last season.

It wouldn’t be ideal but I don’t think finishing behind West Ham, Leicester and Brighton/Villa would be seen as a failure by any of our players. Only possible problem is that if Bruno keeps up this form one of the massive clubs (like Real Madrid who have an aging CM group) could turn his head but that could happen just as easily if we finished 7th instead of 10th.

What do you mean 'expected points'?

10th is right around where we actually finished, despite writing off half a season - we finished 11th, 2 points behind 9/10th.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

What do you mean 'expected points'?

10th is right around where we actually finished, despite writing off half a season - we finished 11th, 2 points behind 9/10th.

It’s how many points we should have gathered according to expected goals scored and conceded. In 2022 we were 10th IIRC, for the whole 21-22 season we were 16th. Basically means we didn’t ’deserve’ to be as high in the table as we were based on those stats.

Hard to tell right now. If we get the 2/3 players we need or don't, that is the difference maker. 

As is this squad doesn't make 7th imo. Its a bit of a crapshoot after those places. Its possible Manure continue to have a mini crisis but still think they will pull it together to finish top 7. West Ham will be 6/7th too, then the usual suspects above. 

8th is achievable with this squad if we keep everyone injury free and players continue to improve. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Hard to tell right now. If we get the 2/3 players we need or don't, that is the difference maker. 

As is this squad doesn't make 7th imo. Its a bit of a crapshoot after those places. Its possible Manure continue to have a mini crisis but still think they will pull it together to finish top 7. West Ham will be 6/7th too, then the usual suspects above. 

8th is achievable with this squad if we keep everyone injury free and players continue to improve. 

Agree, there is not enough quality in the full squad, and Wilson will get injured and it’s back to the kiwi plank up top. And god forbid we get an injury on Bruno G. We lack more threat and that showed against Nottingham. Total domination but poor final third of the pitch. It’s obvious that we need a ST be it young talent or whatever to take the spot when Wilson goes injured and a RW that can instantly improve the final third, then we can start talking about trying to get 6th-7th.

with what we have now and thinking about our injury luck we are bang on 10th

Another good thing about last season was after we signed the players we now have, it was only Man City & Spurs away that weren't even contests really. We should have won at Chelsea, deserved the point at West Ham, were second best to Liverpool but were always in the game, beat Arsenal. We should have beaten Man U just before that run too.

Repeat that, continue how consistent we were against the rest of the league and who knows.

First-team quality and play style are definitely good enough for a European push; our squad, however, isn’t at that level yet unfortunately.

Wouldn’t take an inconceivable set of circumstances for us to be fielding a front 3 of Fraser, Murphy and Wood in the PL ffs. God help us if Bruno or Joelinton get injuries.

Based on our current squad I went for 8th. 7th and maybe 6th is possible with two good attacking additions. 

I'm trying not to get carried away after what was a very good win and performance that was ultimately against a newly promoted team that due to changes in personnel basically didn't have a pre-season as a team.

Guest HTT II

The break for the World Cup will throw up all kinds of different scenarios for me where one team struggling prior to it may benefit, one team succeeding may not, after the restart, like with Covid. I was convinced we were going down and then when we restarted after Covid with no crowds we finished strongly. 

I agree with @Ronaldohere.

We have to show the likes of Bruno and Botman our progression, as well as potential new signings.

Looking at the likely opposition, taking whatever you can from the opening day, West Ham will be there abouts but the rest were largely underwhelming. Palace might have something about them and Brighton are always punchy.

I do also agree that if we have a 3/4 key injuries we will suffer but the long break in the winter may save our bacon in that regard. January will give us a chance to replenish, where others may not.

It remains to be seen what state Man United are in. You suspect Ten Haag will eventually get a tune out of them but it could also snowball. The next game for them will be interesting 

I look at our first eleven and compare it with Manu and West ham and I HONESTLY THINK OUR PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN THEM.

6th wouldnt surprise me in the least as I am sure we will buy one or two additions before this window closes