57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, midds said:

Finishing 6th could be a bit of a poisoned chalice tbh. We'd be playing an extra 10-12 games a season, Thursday/Sunday for long periods of the season. That would mean more games, more players, bigger wage bill. Given we're already looking at being reined in by FFP then adding all of that into the equation would suggest it would fall flat on it's face, we don't currently have the academy to pad the squad out in enough games. 

Slowly slowly, next 2 or 3 years. Let's build it first before we go big. It'll start with getting the sponsorship deals in first, then we can have a proper go. 

Had no idea Pardew had an account here. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Had no idea Pardew had an account here. :lol: 

You're right, I get it :lol:

Difference is Pardew/Ashley had absolutely no intention of growing anything. I'm just saying I want us to be strong before we have a proper pop at it. If we're not then it'll rebound :thup:

The same will almost certainly apply to 7th though, albeit probably slightly lower level European opposition, but it'll be the same principles of less time to prepare for PL games. I guess you could probably tank the play off tie (or at least play a completely changed XI) if you were concerned about the group stage, and beyond, but I'd personally love to be back mixing it with the top 6, even at this stage.

The odds do seem FAR too small though, and for all their troubles, 13/8 still looks pretty good value for Man Utd to finish in the top 6.

Aye, Midds is one of my favourite posters but can't agree on that one. 

So much of this game is about generating momentum, we should be aiming to go as far as we can as quickly as we can in a way which lines up with the ultimate ambitions of the owners. Slow progress can very quickly turn into stagnation. 

7 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Aye, Midds is one of my favourite posters but can't agree on that one. 

So much of this game is about generating momentum, we should be aiming to go as far as we can as quickly as we can in a way which lines up with the ultimate ambitions of the owners. Slow progress can very quickly turn into stagnation. 

Understand that totally. I'm just a bit wary of going too soon when we've got little in reserve. We seem to be struggling a bit now, if we get the commercial deals done then it's full steam ahead, bring it on. 

But that doesn't seem to be where we are right now.

14 minutes ago, midds said:

Understand that totally. I'm just a bit wary of going too soon when we've got little in reserve. We seem to be struggling a bit now, if we get the commercial deals done then it's full steam ahead, bring it on. 

But that doesn't seem to be where we are right now.

Fingers crossed we will have plenty of new deals in place by the end of the season 

Far from dissuading me, the Brighton game confirmed to me that we have made great progress. Brighton would have beaten 2/3 sides in the league on Saturday, including West ham and Man Utd.

Sure we rode our luck in the second half but we are a solid outfit. Our issue, of course, comes from our output in the final third. Hopefully we can get one or two players in to give us 15/20 more goals this year and turn a couple of potential draws into wins and loses into draws.

I’m with midds on this one. I think the fact we’re (majority) owned by one of the largest investment funds in the world has led people to believe that we’re bound the next Chelsea or City quickly. Clearly the FFP rules, as well as the third party commercial deal restrictions, have put paid to that prospect even if PIF intended to go down that route. Realistically with the wealth they have they could have easily just bought a Man U or Spurs and compete for titles as early as now, but Newcastle United, after 14 years of utter neglect, was never that club.

All I’ve wanted for NUFC the past decade is ambitious owners who would build the foundations of the club to allow it to reach its undoubted potential. We have these owners and what they’ve achieved in under a year across all areas is nothing short of outstanding. We were a shell of a club devoid of passion and competence, destined for another relegation under disgraceful management and here we are now discussing the prospect of European football next year. We have very competent people in place who will be working to a plan, but the club has to grow organically to an extent, and even then they’ve possibly already invested more in a year than Ashley did during his whole tenure. Due to FFP there can be no shortcuts  that propel us to places our organisation is incapable of sustainably supporting, and that is absolutely fine by me. I will enjoy the ride that much more knowing we are not using a cheatcode to get to where this club deserves even if it may take a few years longer than it took Chelsea and City. The “big clubs” have hauled up the drawbridge, we’ll just have to grow “big” as well. NUFC have done it before and we’re well underway to do it again. I have complete trust in these owners to get it right sooner or later, not because of the size of their wealth, but because of their passion and intelligence.

Edited by Unbelievable
Typo

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I’m with midds on this one. I think the fact we’re (majority) owned by one of the largest investment funds in the world has led people to believe that we’re bound the next Chelsea or City quickly. Clearly the FFP rules, as well as the third party commercial deal restrictions, have put paid to that prospect even if PIF intended to go down that route. Realistically with the wealth they have they could have easily just bought a Man U or Spurs and compete for titles as early as now, but Newcastle United was never that club.

All I’ve wanted for NUFC the past decade is ambitious owners who would build the foundations of the club to allow it to reach its undoubted  potential. We have these owners and what they’ve achieved in under a year across all areas is nothing short of outstanding. We were a shell of a club devoid of passion and competence, destined for another relegation under disgraceful management and here we are now discussing the prospect of European football next year. We have very competent people in place who will be working to a plan, but the club has to grow organically to an extent, and even then they’ve possibly already invested more in a year than Ashley did during his whole tenure. Due to FFP there can be no shortcuts  that propel us to places our organisation is incapable of sustainably supporting, and that is absolutely fine by me. I will enjoy the ride that much more knowing we are not using a cheatcode to get to where this club deserves even if it may take a few years longer than it took Chelsea and City. The “big clubs” have hauled up the drawbridge, we’ll just have to grow “big” as well. NUFC have done it before and we’re well underway to do it again. I have complete trust in these owners to get it right sooner or later, not because of the size of their wealth, but because of their passion and intelligence.

I'm all for ambition and striving for it, I've craved it for decades. But given the choice of 11th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 7th 5th, 3rd 3rd, 2nd etc compared to 11th, 7th, 12th, 9th, 10th, 8th, 9th, 7th, 6th then I'm picking the former. I want them to build something big and substantial and that needs a solid base imo. Too much too soon is exactly what I'm cautious of. Might not be popular but I'm in no rush - build it solid, build it big. 

21 minutes ago, STM said:

Far from dissuading me, the Brighton game confirmed to me that we have made great progress. Brighton would have beaten 2/3 sides in the league on Saturday, including West ham and Man Utd.

Sure we rode our luck in the second half but we are a solid outfit. Our issue, of course, comes from our output in the final third. Hopefully we can get one or two players in to give us 15/20 more goals this year and turn a couple of potential draws into wins and loses into draws.

Brighton have done the exact same to top 6 sides at home as they did against us, like. It's really not going to be the barometer of our season.

E.g. when they played Arsenal last season at the amex, they had 60% possession and 20-something shots etc. 

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

13 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Brighton have done the exact same to top 6 sides at home as they did against us, like. It's really not going to be the barometer of our season.

E.g. when they played Arsenal last season at the amex, they had 60% possession and 20-something shots etc. 

That's not entirely the point. We had trouble scoring against Forest. Their fans recognized that a team with real goal threats would have scored 4 or 5 that day.

I was working out the other day thinking if we get 60 points we're going to be top 7 or around it. 11 home wins, 7 away wins, 6 draws. Even if we right off the away games against the 'big 6', that means winning about half of the remaining ones. Keep our home consistency and we're there.

8 hours ago, STM said:

I sort of agree

However solid to me is not letting other teams have chances !

Brighton had multiple chances , and without pope or better finishing we would of been beaten quite comfortably.

Being solid means denying teams goal scoring opportunities and restricting them to long range shots 

Brighton should of scored at least 1 

I think the match showed we are very lacking in (game changers)…..and as you mentioned 2/3 more attacking players.

I also think in the next few windows we need some extra quality defenders 

Upgrades and challenges to Burn / Lascelles / Targett / Schar …,,.who I think are all good premier league defenders ….but if the aim is Europe or higher ….we need botman quality 

We are nowhere near finishing 7th without adding to our attack. We are much better defensively (compared to last season), but we lack going forward so badly. It desperately needs to be adressed in the next two weeks or we'll be closer to 12th than 7th.

Who knows where we end up this season?  I'm hoping 8th, minimum,  which would suggest a combative season. Winning more than losing etc etc. 

My worry, and I'm not an advocate of going transfer ballistic, is the longer we take to break the ceiling the longer the ESL scabs will have to raise it. 

They don't want anyone other than the big 6 involved. Nor does Masters et al. 

10 hours ago, midds said:

Finishing 6th could be a bit of a poisoned chalice tbh. We'd be playing an extra 10-12 games a season, Thursday/Sunday for long periods of the season. That would mean more games, more players, bigger wage bill. Given we're already looking at being reined in by FFP then adding all of that into the equation would suggest it would fall flat on it's face, we don't currently have the academy to pad the squad out in enough games. 

Slowly slowly, next 2 or 3 years. Let's build it first before we go big. It'll start with getting the sponsorship deals in first, then we can have a proper go. 

"Thank god we're not in Europe next year."

Spoiler

:pardsgrin:

Edited by NEEJ

Be a bit weird Eddie sitting the team down to a video presentation of Keegan's "entertainers"  rising up the league and the giddy heights of CL football featuring 10k fans at the San Siro and then saying "in 3 years lads,  this could be you" 

In Eddie I trust

10 hours ago, midds said:

I'm all for ambition and striving for it, I've craved it for decades. But given the choice of 11th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 7th 5th, 3rd 3rd, 2nd etc compared to 11th, 7th, 12th, 9th, 10th, 8th, 9th, 7th, 6th then I'm picking the former. I want them to build something big and substantial and that needs a solid base imo. Too much too soon is exactly what I'm cautious of. Might not be popular but I'm in no rush - build it solid, build it big. 

I agree too, Midds. I think a slow build is the right way to go about things.

We absolutely have to see movement with incoming in the final third this week, mind. Frustrating as fuck to see Forest making signings that might well put them in contention for the 'middle pack' places - where I see us at the mo.

We'll hardly be able to get the players, sponsors and incomes we want to progress by finishing 8th and playing Conference League football for the next 4 years. Players will look at more attractive options and we'll lose our better players to those options also.

I think 7th is acheivable with the almighty if of being able to get 30+ games out of both Wilson and ASM which is inherently unlikely. Despite that, good additions in the forward areas make us good shouts for 7th and 6th imo but it simply has to be sorted.

Football also doesn't work like this but given we're one of the so called 'other 14' atm, we play 26 matches home and away against those other clubs. Beat most of them at home i.e. 10 wins, get 5-6 wins and a few draws away we're looking at over 50 points without counting the 12 games against the top 6. Man City and Liverpool may well be write offs home and away but like fuck am I writing off games at SJP against the others, especially Man Utd atm. Mid 50s-low 60s points totals is achievable this season as long as we achieve one of the two above stipulations; one unlikely and the other one we have 2 weeks to sort out.

After two rounds of games, I think things are looking good for seventh. Leicester and Man U look poor, and we're already four points up on West Ham.

We were outplayed by Brighton, but I don't think it was as bad as some posters are making out. They coped with Bruno better than anyone so far, Chelsea and Arsenal included, so I can't see that being a regular occurrence. The second half was bleak with just the Burn header, but we got Wilson in one on one first half and it would have been given had he got the ball in the net.

I also expect at least one attacking player to come in.

I wonder if it wasn't PIF who took us over, resulting in the press declaring we would be in for Mbappé, Haaland, Neymar and the likes, but "just" some billionaire from wherever who had spent £145m (and counting) in their first two transfer windows, replaced Bruce with Howe, saved us from almost nailed on relegation, replaced Charnley with Ashworth as DoF and Eales as CEO, removed the SD signage from and started refurbishing SJP, upgraded the training ground over the summer and started looking for a location for a state of the art new one, invested in the community, got the fans involved and passionate again after years of misery etc. would people have also insisted that they are disappointed?

This club is being severely restricted by FFP, years of Ashley induced neglect and no recent reputation to speak off. We are clearly aiming high and prioritising quality over quantity. It will take time before very good players genuinely will want to come here for reasons other than a big pay check and so we've seen deals fall through and/or clubs quoting ridiculous fees.

PIF's wealth is PIF's, not Newcastle United's so why is them owning us any different to anyone else owning it? All we can ask as fans is that the custodians of our club have its best interest at heart and make sensible decisions that allow us to grow and compete in a sustainable manner, and as far as I can see they are doing just that in brilliant fashion.

I think some fans need to get a bit of perspective, because the sense of entitlement sometimes is quite unbelievable really, considering where we were less than a year ago and the restrictions the new owners are dealing with. Let's be appreciative of all the good things they have done and enjoy a season of good football, hopefully better results than we've seen in a long time and the foundations being put in place for sustainable mid to long term success.

Edited by Unbelievable

With the state that Man Utd are in, it's now become apparent that 6th place is very much up for grabs. Even with just our current squad I think we will now be in the running for it. We will undoubtedly bring in more players too in the two windows of this season so it's not unrealistic to expect us to think that we might actually grab 6th now. Lots of things will have to go our way too, of course.

27 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I wonder if it wasn't PIF who took us over, resulting in the press declaring we would be in for Mbappé, Haaland, Neymar and the likes, but "just" some billionaire from wherever who had spent £145m (and counting) in their first two transfer windows, replaced Bruce with Howe, saved us from almost nailed on relegation, replaced Charnley with Ashworth as DoF and Eales as CEO, removed the SD signage from and started refurbishing SJP, upgraded the training ground over the summer and started looking for a location for a state of the art new one, invested in the community, got the fans involved and passionate again after years of misery etc. would people have also insisted that they are disappointed?

This club is being severely restricted by FFP, years of Ashley induced neglect and no recent reputation to speak off. We are clearly aiming high and prioritising quality over quantity. It will take time before very good players genuinely will want to come here for reasons other than a big pay check and so we've seen deals fall through and/or clubs quoting ridiculous fees.

PIF's wealth is PIF's, not Newcastle United's so why is them owning us any different to anyone else owning it? All we can ask as fans is that the custodians of our club have its best interest at heart and make sensible decisions that allow us to grow and compete in a sustainable manner, and as far as I can see they are doing just that in brilliant fashion.

I think some fans need to get a bit of perspective, because the sense of entitlement sometimes is quite unbelievable really, considering where we were less than a year ago and the restrictions the new owners are dealing with. Let's be appreciative of all the good things they have done and enjoy a season of good football, hopefully better results than we've seen in a long time and the foundations being put in place for sustainable mid to long term success.

Great post 

51 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I dont think many are disappointed. Its just that we are lacking in attack and before the window striker and winger was all over the media. Two and a half month later we are still in that boat. Im sure we will get players in. Two attacking players in before the window shuts and there is not much to complain about.

Edited by nufc123