The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Better side won, but they’re still not very good. There’s 3 better sides playing tomorrow IMO.

None of them have Messi. Argentina showed some character tbf even though they got thrown by the hoofballl in the last 20 mins of normal time.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Croatia are stinking up the tournament imo, proper sick of how successful they are.

I don't hate them like I do Spain but there's a lot of similarities in the way they use possession to try and control the tempo of a game to its detriment. It's obviously excusable more though just because they're such a small country and a lot of their rotation attacking options play in Croatia. So I appreciate them a lot but I am getting to the point of simply having seen enough. Four penalty shoot out wins in a row is undoubtedly a lot of luck that deserves to run out.

Edited by ponsaelius

Commiserations to Unbelievable and ant other Dutch fans on here. As a neutral I'm pleased it's Argentina and I hope they win it if England don't.

Surely they'll occupy one of those spaces in the final. Can't call the other side of the draw. You wouldn't be surprised if any one of the three strongest teams made it through, but if Greece can win a tournament and Leicester can win the Premier League, why can't Morocco defy everything and get to the final?

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't hate them like I do Spain but there's a lot of similarities in the way they use possession to try and control the tempo of a game. It's obviously excusable more though just because they're such a small country and a lot of their rotation attacking options play in Croatia. So I appreciate them a lot tbh I am getting to the point of simply having seen enough. Four penalty shoot out wins in a row is undoubtedly a lot of luck that deserves to run out.

I’ve never believed that pens are about luck.  The same countries fail regularly, and the same succeed regularly.  Proof to me that it’s technique, not luck, at play. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve never believed that pens are about luck.  The same countries fail regularly, and the same succeed regularly.  Proof to me that it’s technique, not luck, at play. 

It's not completely luck, obviously. The idea that it is a 'lottery' is nonsense. But there is undoubtedly an element of it and the more you play the higher the odds of eventually losing one go up IMO. Even winning the toss and shooting first can be a huge advantage which is backed up by stats.

8 minutes ago, Flip said:

Croatia can fuck off. Devastated. Brazil v Argentina in a semifinal would’ve been a classic.

I think it's quite unfair comment. Ofc for the neutral would be fantastic Arg-Bra. But Croatia for such a small country to repeat the feat of reaching semi final in a row is not only admirable but inspiring for all other smaller football teams around the world that they can achieve impossible.

I think Argentina v Croatia will be amazing game on Tuesday and who knows maybe we send Messi crying home as well and beat the odds again