The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

I’d love to see Croatia, Morocco or Portugal win it.  It would be good for the game for a new winner of the WC (and Morocco winning of course would be seismic)

I’d like to see England win it of course (I am English), but I just cannot get worked up about England like I would with NUFC. 

I honestly don't think Argentina are as bad as people make out. They have a very good tactical structure which gives them a foothold in every game. Holland were supposed to be the slicker footballing side according to many and I thought they were completely outplayed there. Even in extra time.

1 minute ago, Marko NUFC said:

I think it's quite unfair comment. Ofc for the neutral would be fantastic Arg-Bra. But Croatia for such a small country to repeat the feat of reaching semi final in a row is not only admirable but inspiring for all other smaller football teams around the world that they can achieve impossible.

I think Argentina v Croatia will be amazing game on Tuesday and who knows maybe we send Messi crying home as well and beat the odds again 

Flip is Brazilian if you didn't know. He's not just hating on Croatia for no reason, just hurting I'd imagine. 

Horrible feeling we'll feel the same this time tomorrow :lol:

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Even winning the toss and shooting first can be a huge advantage which is backed up by stats.

There's a newer study with larger sample size that proves it's very very close to 50-50. Don't have a link but it has been talked about a lot by both broadcasters in Finland.

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Argentina aren’t all that , very average team with Messi carrying them , they won’t win the World Cup.

It's weird as hell to me that people speak with such certainty on knockout games between lots of disjointed football teams.

I'd agree they're not the favourites but to act like any of the other teams in the tournament are guaranteed to beat them is just daft.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Flip is Brazilian if you didn't know. He's not just hating on Croatia for no reason, just hurting I'd imagine. 

Horrible feeling we'll feel the same this time tomorrow :lol:

Hehe fair enough. It was painful for him so give him a pass on that one.

Hope he supports us v Argentina :D

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

Argies gonna Argy. 

Don't think I'd be able to hack them winning it like.

They’re horrible cunts like.  Their football culture is fucking arseholery of the first order.  Why anyone wants them to win (assuming they aren’t Argentinian) is a mystery to me. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I honestly don't think Argentina are as bad as people make out. They have a very good tactical structure which gives them a foothold in every game. Holland were supposed to be the slicker footballing side according to many and I thought they were completely outplayed there. Even in extra time.

Absolutely, many here questioned why Argentina were even favourites against the Netherlands and to me it's pretty clear why after watching that match.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re horrible cunts like.  Their football culture is fucking arseholery of the first order.  Why anyone wants them to win (assuming they aren’t Argentinian) is a mystery to me. 

Sir Alf Ramsey called them animals in 1966. They haven't changed.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Argentina don't really have a world class striker. But the manager is clearly quite savvy, and he seems to know how to get the best out of the one great forward he has at his disposal. I'm also quite impressed how he held Di Maria back until later stages when his speed would make more impact. I don't think thry'll win it, but they might.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Tomorrow's game is so much worse because I honestly think we could beat any of the potential finalists from here, as could the French. Fucking hell, this is going to be horrendous if we lose :lol:

Wouldn’t rule out Portugal 

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's not completely luck, obviously. The idea that it is a 'lottery' is nonsense. But there is undoubtedly an element of it and the more you play the higher the odds of eventually losing one go up IMO. Even winning the toss and shooting first can be a huge advantage which is backed up by stats.

I take the 'lottery' thing as a label for viewers rather than players. We go into it like it's a lottery in terms of who scores and who doesn't and who wins and loses.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wouldn’t rule out Portugal 

Yeah just to be clear I'm not saying we'd easily win it if we get through to the semis, every team left would give us a hell of a game. There's just no-one there that I think, head to head, we've got no chance against. Brazil and Spain I felt differently about until they both completely choked this round.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I take the 'lottery' thing as a label for viewers rather than players. We go into it like it's a lottery in terms of who scores and who doesn't and who wins and loses.

Honestly, I think some of the PFM pundits really believe it’s pot luck.  Usually they or their mates have missed in shootouts, and there can be no consideration that their own failures to prepare and practice might have a part to play 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, I think some of the PFM pundits really believe it’s pot luck.  Usually they or their mates have missed in shootouts, and there can be no consideration that their own failures to prepare and practice might have a part to play 

This a million times over. It's anything but luck. Taking a set piece is the time when a player has the single most control over what they are doing, as no one is trying to tackle them or close them down. Same with keepers. Krul showed that you very much can train for saving pens. I think this is why I was so furious at Southgate for the Euros final, when it was obvious that England had neither practiced pens nor had a strategy or order. Southgate had simply left it to 'pot luck'. That must change this time round.

21 minutes ago, Marko NUFC said:

I think it's quite unfair comment. Ofc for the neutral would be fantastic Arg-Bra. But Croatia for such a small country to repeat the feat of reaching semi final in a row is not only admirable but inspiring for all other smaller football teams around the world that they can achieve impossible.

I think Argentina v Croatia will be amazing game on Tuesday and who knows maybe we send Messi crying home as well and beat the odds again 

Yeah, nothing unfair about the fact that no matter how good the game Croatia v Argentina is, a South American classic would’ve been better.

As for the other comments I agree. Croatia is an inspiration to many. Also shows what a good generation can do.  That doesn’t take away the fact that Brazil v Argentina would’ve been far better. And sorry to say, I’m hoping for at least a South American v Europe final. Give Messi his last dance.

22 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Argies gonna Argy. 

Don't think I'd be able to hack them winning it like.

This is actually funny and good.

Plus the Dutch players were at it throughout the shootout trying to follow and interrupt the players walk ups.

It was a heated tie from both teams.