The Quarter Finals: Croatia, Argentina, Morocco, and France through

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah, in isolation that looks horrendous and South American teams are genuinely unmatched when it comes to shithousing. 

But I noticed some sort of aggro after a few of the Dutch pens. Seemed like they were always going for mind games on the way back to the middle. But constantly over-stepping. 

Some context in this video - Dutch players engaging in gamesmanship, trailing Martinez and trash talking him as he stepped up - with the inevitable backlash when he scored. Not a huge deal, I think, you've gotta take what you dish out. Emi Martinez was also going mental at Van Gaal at the end, for whatever reason.

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Messi should be suspended for the next game, read he's had a right go at the ref. If so, should be a suspension. Lets see if FIFA have any balls.

"I don’t want to speak about referees because after they will sanction you. But people saw what happened. I think FIFA must take care of this. It cannot put a referee like that for a match of such magnitude, of such importance. The referee cannot fail to be up to the task," Messi said after the match.

Hell a football suspension might not be enough, this could end up in The Hague.

Just now, Shak said:

"I don’t want to speak about referees because after they will sanction you. But people saw what happened. I think FIFA must take care of this. It cannot put a referee like that for a match of such magnitude, of such importance. The referee cannot fail to be up to the task," Messi said after the match.

Rules are rules, you openly criticise the Ref & FIFA and it should be a ban. 100% a ban if Kane says that imho. 

4 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Some context in this video - Dutch players engaging in gamesmanship, trailing Martinez and trash talking him as he stepped up - with the inevitable backlash when he scored. Not a huge deal, I think, you've gotta take what you dish out. Emi Martinez was also going mental at Van Gaal at the end, for whatever reason.

This has just made me want to play Sensible Soccer :lol:

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

:lol:

I don’t understand the Argentinians complaining about the ref like. Felt like they should’ve had a few sent off. The refs have been very reluctant to show yellow cards in this World Cup. The referees in both matches yesterday should never be allowed to ref again. 

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

I don’t understand the Argentinians complaining about the ref like. Felt like they should’ve had a few sent off. The refs have been very reluctant to show yellow cards in this World Cup. The referees in both matches yesterday should never be allowed to ref again. 

What did Michael Oliver do wrong in the Brazil game?

1 minute ago, Flip said:

Think yesterday was a great example of how a bad referee can massively contribute to a game getting out of hand, dude basically just ran around the field for two hours pouring petrol on the bad atmosphere between the teams :lol:

What did the Brazil v Croatia ref do? Can't say I noticed him a whole lot.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What did Michael Oliver do wrong in the Brazil game?

A lot tbf, it was a very bad performance from him. 

Both Brozovic and Danilo should’ve been off. Kept screaming for Brozo to be off as he made three tackles after having a yellow already. I think by not sending Brozovic off, he forced himself not to send Danilo off (which was 100% clear as he had a yellow and stopped a counter)  and then kept trying to compensate for the wrong decisions he made. Croatian left back slaughtered Antony three times, didn’t get a yellow and then even missed when he pulled him down by grabbing his mouth :lol: I felt like was inconsistent throughout. Modric stopped two counters and got nothing as well. It felt like the bar was sat higher for Oliver with cards if you were at risk of being suspended for the next match.  

And not in regards to Oliver: Not sure about the handball rules anymore, but there’s a lack of consistency with the handball rules that FIFA needs to get fixed. They’ve found a way to stop things offensively, but defensively it’s a shitshow.

5 minutes ago, Emotic said:

I was amazed that the melee that started with the crazy tackle from Paredes didn't see anyone sent off[emoji38]. Lahoz totally enabled the hostile atmosphere by losing control at that point.

The tackle and then the shot towards the Dutch bench was so deserving of a red it’s not even funny. Otamendi did the same twice in 2018 against Rakitic and Pogba and didn’t even get a yellow. Kicking the ball towards the opposition with the intention to hurt has to at the very least be deserving of a yellow.

:lol: Messi has embraced the Argentinian spirit this World Cup. During an interview righ after the game yesterday, he told a dutch player to stop staring and basically fuck off. It was Weghorst that wanted to exchange shirts :lol: 

Edited by Flip

It’s a strange feeling going into this game tonight. In the Euros I really felt like it was going to be our time. Even from the early games I thought we’d win it. 

I haven’t been massively convinced by any of our performances despite the good results this time around. I don’t think any of the teams look unbeatable left in the competition either but I still think we’re a bit short of most them. 

Massive England win tonight then. 

8 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

“But the downside to all of this,” Pardew says. “Is he cost me a Cup final winners’ medal and I can never forgive him!”

“So many West Ham fans have come up to me over the years and said, ‘Oh my god, that throw in! What was he thinking!?’,” said Pardew, now the coach of Greek Super League side Aris Thessaloniki. “All this time later and they still bring it up. If only he’d just done something different.”

“It’s a moment of madness because there was a minute left and all we had to do is run the clock down,” he reflects, ruefully. “You don’t want the ball to end up centrally in the pitch at that time.”

“It was at complete odds with a player who was ordinarily one of the most savvy in the team - he’d have been bottom of my list to do that,” he said. “With some I’d have gone, ‘Well, what do you expect, you know?’ but here’s our most intelligent, sensible player …”

“I don’t think I’ve ever had a conversation with him about it but it would be nice to have it one day - ‘What was your thinking?’,” Pardew said. “I haven’t spoken to him since he became the Argentina manager but I’d love to meet up with him and I’d love to know if he’s ever referenced that moment with his players: what not to do when you’re winning with a minute to go. If he hasn’t I don’t rate him as a manager at all!”

:lol: still throwing players under the bus

Seeing Argentina get so much shit and Netherlands protected despite being just as bad with their bullshittery is nuts :lol:

The Dutch have a history of it as long as any South American side.

Edited by Aiston

1 hour ago, Flip said:

A lot tbf, it was a very bad performance from him. 

Both Brozovic and Danilo should’ve been off. Kept screaming for Brozo to be off as he made three tackles after having a yellow already. I think by not sending Brozovic off, he forced himself not to send Danilo off (which was 100% clear as he had a yellow and stopped a counter)  and then kept trying to compensate for the wrong decisions he made. Croatian left back slaughtered Antony three times, didn’t get a yellow and then even missed when he pulled him down by grabbing his mouth :lol: I felt like was inconsistent throughout. Modric stopped two counters and got nothing as well. It felt like the bar was sat higher for Oliver with cards if you were at risk of being suspended for the next match.  

And not in regards to Oliver: Not sure about the handball rules anymore, but there’s a lack of consistency with the handball rules that FIFA needs to get fixed. They’ve found a way to stop things offensively, but defensively it’s a shitshow.

Should never be allowed to ref again though :lol:

I thought Oliver was fine. The one last night in the Holland game was embarrassing though

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

I thought Oliver was fine. The one last night in the Holland game was embarrassing though

The Spanish ref is terrible in La Liga so his performance wasn't a surprise 

Oliver is arguably the best ref in the PL

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

As a Brazilian that’s my opinion. :lol: and as a Newcastle and PL fan as well. Fucking shit refs in England. Hope the Brazilian fucks it up tonight as well.

Now they have binned off Ronaldo, Portugal are undervalued. No way they’d be an easy semi for France or England.

If England and France have an absolute battle, say 120 mins + pens, and Portugal have an easier time against Morocco, Portugal will fancy it.

Good midfielders, good goalie and now appear to be getting goals.