Newcastle United 2-1 Rayo Vallecano (17/12/2022)

joeyt

4 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I don't think there's any lack of effort; I'm just not sure our style of play comes natural to him.

I think if we swapped ASM and Miggy we would see a massive rise in ASMs game, I feel with Miggy his form is a lot to do with Trippier running that side with him, also Miggy being one footed always using his left, he could easily switch. Not sure Eddie would disrupt Almirons form, but it wouldn't be difficult to switch the pair, and see if it helps ASM as it has obviously helped Miggy.

Just now, mighty__mag said:

I think if we swapped ASM and Miggy we would see a massive rise in ASMs game, I feel with Miggy his form is a lot to do with Trippier running that side with him, also Miggy being one footed always using his left, he could easily switch. Not sure Eddie would disrupt Almirons form, but it wouldn't be difficult to switch the pair, and see if it helps ASM as it has obviously helped Miggy.

I'm not so sure it's so cut and dry but I agree that having better quality players near him will likely result in improved output.

That said; one of Almiron's key strengths is his ability to give and go, quickly running into space. Trippier and Bruno work to his strengths and their quality is key, but Almiron's intelligence in his movement is just as vital. It's always been one of his strengths, and he actually did try and do previously under Bruce, but a lack of anything resembling a game-plan meant it largely went unnoticed and unused.

We now have a manager that can actually exploit players strengths and we're seeing a huge benefit from it.

6 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Can’t see it at all. 

Almiron is good at give and go’s. Him cutting in creates space on the overlap for Trippier. He makes runs in behind and is arguably the hardest working attacking player in the league. 

ASM is basically the opposite to all of that :lol: 

Wants a lot of touches. Would naturally be a bit wider on his right foot. Often wants it to feet and can be static off the ball and he wouldn’t offer defensive cover to Trippier. Who plays most the game high up the pitch. 

I watched Thuram when he came on the other night for France and you can see why we're linked. He's very direct in that he looks to go by the full-back then either shoot or cross. I don't think Maxi's got that instinct. I love Maxi and he was the shining light through the Bruce shite, but I don't think he'll be a starter for us where we're going.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I watched Thuram when he came on the other night for France and you can see why we're linked. He's very direct in that he looks to go by the full-back then either shoot or cross. I don't think Maxi's got that instinct. I love Maxi and he was the shining light through the Bruce shite, but I don't think he'll be a starter for us where we're going.

Initially it will be Jo/Willock alternating that role until Isak is up to speed, then I think we will see a front three of Isak,Wilson and Almiron. Honestly think Maxi will be on the way in the Summer. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If everyone's fit, I'd currently be putting Isak in ahead of ASM for that left sided spot, playing some weird variant of a 4-4-2. 

ASM is a weird one, because he can be so dangerous with his direct pace, especially when he collects the ball deep. However as a team, I think we tend to look much better and have greater cohesion with either Joelinton or Willock in that position.

Just now, 54 said:

ASM is a weird one, because he can be so dangerous with his direct pace, especially when he collects the ball deep. However as a team, I think we tend to look much better and have greater cohesion with either Joelinton or Willock in that position.

Feel like Isak will start getting the nod so  Wilson and him both start.

Maxi off the bench will be a sight to behold.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think Isak is even back in full training after nearly 3 months out.

Hopefully he’s just being coy on Wilson. Maybe he’ll miss the game on Tuesday or start on the bench. Then back in for the next 2-3 league games. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Don’t think Isak is even back in full training after nearly 3 months out.

Hopefully he’s just being coy on Wilson. Maybe he’ll miss the game on Tuesday or start on the bench. Then back in for the next 2-3 league games. 

If he’s not injured he shouldn’t really miss any games 

21 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

Looking forward to this. Hopefully I won't get temporary epilepsy again as I've just got back to normal after the last time.

What do you mean? I’m epileptic and wondering if I’ve missed a reference to something.

36 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed- he’s played like what, three games or something.

I'll judge him on the fact our management team were prepared to pay 60 million for him. Isak is a high level talent, those two finishes against Liverpool more than showed that.