The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Fancy West Ham tonight. A West Ham win would leave Liverpool on 50 points with 18 points left to play for. We'd only need 10 more points to guarantee finishing above them.

I think we will regardless but given all the #worrying made after Liverpool beat a tragic Leeds that may well calm a few down.

I don't fancy West Ham much tbh. Seems like they always give other teams a hard time but save all their mistakes for Liverpool. Still, maybe they got four of them out of the way against us.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't fancy West Ham much tbh. Seems like they always give other teams a hard time but save all their mistakes for Liverpool. Still, maybe they got four of them out of the way against us.

They've won 3 in 5, only defeat was that stinker v us. Liverpool also have their own kit curse, wearing that horrid white kit that they've lost every game they've played in it.

Cue a 0-3 Liverpool win. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

They are strong on set pieces so liverpool might be bombarded tonight. 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just been reading stuff on Poch to Chelsea, Chelsea fans seem to think top 5 gets champions league next season. Any idea if that’s true ?

It's true. Don't think it's certain but very probable. I think it can go as high as 6 or 7 places as well based on this new Swiss system but not 100% sure.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

It's true. Don't think it's certain but very probable. I think it can go as high as 6 or 7 places as well based on this new Swiss system but not 100% sure.

Shame it’s not this season.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

They'll do anything to squeeze spurs and chelsea in mind ? 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just been reading stuff on Poch to Chelsea, Chelsea fans seem to think top 5 gets champions league next season. Any idea if that’s true ?

From the 2024/25 season, it increases from 32 to 36 teams and two of the four extra places will be awarded on the performance of a country's clubs in Europe over the previous season. So by no means guaranteed 5 places, but a good chance if the English clubs do well.

Likely to have 5 PL teams qualify, but that’s the limit. 

“Right now, a maximum of five Premier League teams can qualify for the Champions League, and that isn't expected to change despite the competition expanding to 36 teams.

Two of the extra spots are reserved for the two countries with the highest coefficient score in that season. England currently sits atop UEFA's ranking, so an extra Premier League team would qualify for the Champions League.

Barring a drastic switch in fortunes, it's likely the Premier League will garner one of these extra spots, meaning those that finish in the top five will all qualify for Europe's premier club competition starting from the 2024/25 season.”

https://www.90min.com/posts/champions-league-qualification-premier-league-how-it-works-2024-25/amp

It will be interesting to see how the new changes go. I think the two group system from around 20 years ago was generally unpopular as it meant more matches for the superior teams, but it was great for teams that don't qualify every year, like us. We could have drawn Barcelona or Inter over two legs in the last 16 and probably gone out then, but as it was, we got an extra 6 matches, over 10,000 went over to Italy, more chances to pit ourselves against huge clubs and great teams, and we got a couple of wins against an out of sorts Leverkusen.

At our stage, the potential idea of a guaranteed 8 matches, 4 at home sounds good, although if / when we get more established, and it's less of a novelty, and competing on multiple fronts, we probably would want less matches, but that's obviously far down the line.

53 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Likely to have 5 PL teams qualify, but that’s the limit. 

“Right now, a maximum of five Premier League teams can qualify for the Champions League, and that isn't expected to change despite the competition expanding to 36 teams.

Two of the extra spots are reserved for the two countries with the highest coefficient score in that season. England currently sits atop UEFA's ranking, so an extra Premier League team would qualify for the Champions League.

Barring a drastic switch in fortunes, it's likely the Premier League will garner one of these extra spots, meaning those that finish in the top five will all qualify for Europe's premier club competition starting from the 2024/25 season.”

https://www.90min.com/posts/champions-league-qualification-premier-league-how-it-works-2024-25/amp

Daft question maybe, but are we reading this as 24/25 being the first season qualification changes, i.e. 5th place in that season gets CL for 25/26, or that 24/25 is the first season where the extra teams will be included, meaning qualifying via 23/24 premier league positions?

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think a country can have a 6th team via Europa League success. 

So if Villa win the EL next season and finish 7th. They will be in the CL. 

Isn’t it a maximum of five, so the EL winner would enter, but a league placed team would then miss out? 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Does 8th get European football this season?

5 & 6 go to Europa due to the FA cup wins. 7 conference league.  Only 1 conference league spot or 2?

No, 7th does. However West Ham could gain a spot if they win the Europa Conference, that is an additional spot to the 7 England already has.

I think someone did some working out, and once the new rules hit, it is possible to have up to 9 teams in Europe.

29 minutes ago, Crayola Kid said:

Daft question maybe, but are we reading this as 24/25 being the first season qualification changes, i.e. 5th place in that season gets CL for 25/26, or that 24/25 is the first season where the extra teams will be included, meaning qualifying via 23/24 premier league positions?

I did some reading and I believe it's the latter. They're talking about next season (23/24) being the last season of CL with the current number of teams i.e. more need to qualify next season to populate the new style CL the session after (24/25).

So great news for us...

Edited by 80

10 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Missed the Arsenal game off 

Haha. This was my reasonable winning games list from several games ago. We're one ahead at the moment but aye, I think even Arsenal might be reasonable now...

Edited by Heron