The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

52 minutes ago, sturla said:

Villa had a good spell from when Emery took over in November.  From that day Villa were the 5th best team in the league acquiring 49 points vs 47 acquired by Newcastle (in 6th).  They have also recruited very well in this window with Diaby, Pau Torres and Tielemans.  I think people are just recognizing that they have a proper setup now and will push for top 6.  Still think we will finish above them.

Who were 4th in that period? Liverpool?

Have Liverpool signed a DM? 

I don’t think Villa have significantly improved through their signings, although they look good anyway. A lot depends on Diaby, the other signings are neutral.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I expect so too, but at the moment you can’t say they’ve solved their midfield problems. They’ve signed two attackers in there. 

They’ve got two players who can actually run which is a massive upgrade on what they had. 

still think they are suspect defensively mind. 

Villa are well drilled, very fit and use systems of play that other teams haven’t quite worked out.

We got absolutely hammered down there as they imposed their style and we couldn’t deal with it. We got absolutely overrun once we’d lost the ball and couldn’t handle their transition. From memory Bruno hobbled through that game and we had another injury? Still, we were given a right good going over.

I think they’ll kick on again this season.

16 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Villa are well drilled, very fit and use systems of play that other teams haven’t quite worked out.

We got absolutely hammered down there as they imposed their style and we couldn’t deal with it. We got absolutely overrun once we’d lost the ball and couldn’t handle their transition. From memory Bruno hobbled through that game and we had another injury? Still, we were given a right good going over.

Villa are a good side but they are overrated on here because of that one game ,it was just one of them games , we were miles off the pace and they peaked . We did exactly the same to Man United at home but I don’t see many people saying we will finish above them next season. They had a good run under Emery but that sort of level isn’t sustainable over a full season or else they would win the league . They will likely finish 7th /8th and I would expect us to be above them .

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

We did exactly the same to Man United at home but I don’t see many people saying we will finish above them next season.

To be fair we had Sabitzer and McTominay in midfield and Weghorst up top. That'll be Casemiro, Mount and Hojlund next season. Probably something to do with it.

Oddly, I fear Villa versus us more than I actually fear Villa doing better than us over the course of a full season. That away match last season shook me to my core - but it was clear as fucking day we were completely off the boil that match and they got every single bounce in their favor on top of having a worldie of a day. They are potentially a top side and I also wouldn't be surprised to see them mix it up in the top 4-7 positions this season. I rate Emery massively. 

45 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

What is encouraging is we played slightly differently against you, as Emery had identified a different approach that would do the job against the opposition of the day.

And that is the difference between him and the likes of Gerrard, changes line up and system to suit the match in hand.

Only two teams outside the Sky Six have finished in the Top 4 in about twenty years, Leicester who won it all and us last year. Neither had European football at the time. Villa have a great team and I rate Emery, but it's a massive task, a twice in twenty years' task. I expect them to go deep in Europe though and quite possibly win it.

In games from Jan 1 2023, we scored something like 10 goals below xG. Pope was unbeatable first half of the season, but reverted to just above average for the season as a whole. This means our defensive record was no fluke, and our goals scored has been limited by poor finishing, especially from set pieces. Some posters mention the Leicester game as a sign of our impotency, but we hit the post three times, one with Bruno less than one yard out.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

For CL, is it not a TopFiveometer this season?

It’s dependent on how teams from each country do in Europe this season.

Two that perform the best both get an extra CL spot.

I think it's a combination of Emery being likeable, and therefore people don't mind giving Villa praise, and PTSD from THAT game.

Top 4 seems a massive ask for any of us, Villa, and Brighton but we'll have a better picture a few games in.

We started fairly poorly last season but it was obvious our play had evolved so much that I was never really worried (didn't expect top 4 like), hopefully it's the same this year, regardless of results, and the work in pre-season really shows. Even if we don't buy anyone else we can expect improvemements across pretty much every area from last season.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

It’s dependent on how teams from each country do in Europe this season.

Two that perform the best both get an extra CL spot.

:thup:

When they said previous season, I wasn't sure whether they meant last season or this.

Just now, The Prophet said:

:thup:

When they said previous season, I wasn't sure whether they meant last season or this.

If it had of been based on 3 or 5 year performance/coefficient like most of the UEFA stuff, we’d have been about nailed on for one of the places, but with it just being this coming season, it’s obviously more in jeopardy.

Having said that, you’d still strongly expect it to be two out of us, Italy and Spain.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Liverpool's mid looks talented but lightweight to me, not enough to mask some of the defensive frailties they showed last season across a full campaign. 

They finished what? 5 points behind us? Not playing in the CL alone is worth another points.  

20 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Only two teams outside the Sky Six have finished in the Top 4 in about twenty years, Leicester who won it all and us last year. Neither had European football at the time. Villa have a great team and I rate Emery, but it's a massive task, a twice in twenty years' task. I expect them to go deep in Europe though and quite possibly win it.

In games from Jan 1 2023, we scored something like 10 goals below xG. Pope was unbeatable first half of the season, but reverted to just above average for the season as a whole. This means our defensive record was no fluke, and our goals scored has been limited by poor finishing, especially from set pieces. Some posters mention the Leicester game as a sign of our impotency, but we hit the post three times, one with Bruno less than one yard out.

Great post. Particularly regarding CL football. It’s such a drain on a squad and only 6 teams are allowed to comfortably build a squad for it because of FFP. If we finish 4th again Howe is a genius. 

If we start purring and hit a run of form quickly, I can see a similar season to last. As much as you get found out, it's very very hard to play through a press as good as ours with the athletes we have in midfield and attack. 

England has an advantage already because we’ve got an additional Europa spot thanks to West Ham winning the Conference. You would expect all of our second tier European clubs to get to the KOs. 

We are probably the weakest representative in Europe for the coefficient (relatively speaking).