The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know we should always look to beat the likes of Bournemouth even with all the missing players but it's one of those now where I'd take a point and run if the game's not going our way, especially with the Spurs result. 

I get what you are saying. At the same time there’s teams like ManU that is close to us despite being awful and very lucky. Say that ETH gets sacked and they have a short term new manager bounce at worst then they will be up there fighting fior top 4 too. Would like us to pull away slightly if possible. It’s not the end of the world but winning away games against the likes of Bournemouth is key. At least a few of them here and there not drawing or losing too many. 

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah I'm not counting any chickens against Bournemouth like. They've been one of the first teams to sit back, let us try and break them down, and play on the counter. In some ways they were one of the better teams we faced last year.

I kind of hope that with the injuries we've got, and their need to start getting wins, they will see it as an opportunity and actually come onto us.

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I get what you are saying. At the same time there’s teams like ManU that is close to us despite being awful and very lucky. Say that ETH gets sacked and they have a short term new manager bounce at worst then they will be up there fighting fior top 4 too. Would like us to pull away slightly if possible. It’s not the end of the world but winning away games against the likes of Bournemouth is key. At least a few of them here and there not drawing or losing too many. 

Man u always are there or thereabouts, even if they are playing terrible, I always feel when we go on a losing streak the table massively swings against us ?

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We have more unavailable players than you and a smaller squad. 

Yes now you do but not at various points of the season. There were periods this season where we've had 12 senior squad players out. When I suggested injuries were to blame I was laughed at. 

Our entire defence has been out injured for months ffs. Let's see how you cope. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Yes now you do but not at various points of the season. There were periods this season where we've had 12 senior squad players out. When I suggested injuries were to blame I was laughed at. 

Our entire defence has been out injured for months ffs. Let's see how you cope. 

Our entire attack has been out. I mean, we have no attackers on the bench. 

Most likely your second choice defence was still more expensive then our starting defence..

A win against Everton in a few weeks would do us the world of good. So far away from home we've won just 1 from 6. Granted they have all been away to teams in good form and today we've had problems with injuries and fatigue, but we don't want people talking about us being bad on the road and it starting to become a thing. You don't get top four without a good few wins away. 

Edited by Decky

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Know how that feels. We didn't have a striker for weeks and weeks. 

Hard work isn't it. 

Rashford has been playing there though isnt he? And now you say he is not a striker, but he is a lot better striker than Ben Parkinson. And I rather put Rashford as a striker than Paul Dummett or Emil Krafth as centrebacks.

You have had a lot in injuries, but your squad is vastly bigger and more expensive. 

6 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Rashford has been playing there though isnt he? And now you say he is not a striker, but he is a lot better striker than Ben Parkinson. And I rather put Rashford as a striker than Paul Dummett or Emil Krafth as centrebacks.

You have had a lot in injuries, but your squad is vastly bigger and more expensive. 

I would swap you Rashford for Parkinson right now, and I've never heard of Parkinson. 

Aston Villa (h) 5-1 v 4-0 

(a) 1-0 v 2-0

Liverpool (h) 1-2 v 0-2

Brighton (a) 3-1 v 0-0

Brentford home (h) 1-0 v 5-1

Sheffield United (Leeds) (a) 0-8 v 2-2

Burnley (Leicester) (h) 2-0 v 0-0

West Ham (a) 2-2 v 1-5

Palace (h) 4-0 v 0-0

Wolves (a) 2-2 v 1-1

Arsenal (h) 1-0 v 0-2

Bournemouth (a) 2-0 v 1-1

+5 points, +8 GD.

I know that we are incredibly stretched and the squad in thread bare but even when  everyone is fit there are questions about what the  best position is for lots of our players. Hall doesn't look like a great LB prospect at this point. Is this his preferred position or just an assumption that this is the position we are buying him to grow into? Also seemingly without anyone really knowing their best position is Willock, Gordon and Joelinton.  I'm sure Bruno would be a better 8 than a 6 but until Miley is ready for the DM position or we buy someone like Phillips he'll have to play there. That presumes that Miley is a 6?

It's all very well having players who are flexible, but IMO Gordon will never be a CF, Big Joe never a top class  midfielder, Willock I've no idea at all what he's meant to be. Apart from being invisible most of the time. It's quite possible than Gordon, Willock, Joelinton and Barnes are all at their best in the same position which is very unlikely to be a good thing.

We also need to evolve our playing style if we are going to continue having top 4 aspirations every season. This rigid 433, high press, physicality is our identity, is all very well against the poorer teams but doesn't work against the best ones and if it means your players end up dropping like flies there has to be a plan B. We need IMO to evolve into a possession based team but that requires much better technical players than the ones we have. It's much less knackering having the ball than chasing around looking for it.

Anyhow onwards and upwards.