The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Fantasy Football Scout.

Set pieces have been our undoing in recent weeks specifically. Wasted loads in attack (and sometimes seem to play for set pieces) and conceded 2 shit ones.

Both more or less identical too. A flick on at the near post, finished at the back stick.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Both more or less identical too. A flick on at the near post, finished at the back stick.

Also conceded the same way against Spurs.

The last 2 have had different people at fault. Spurs and the second example it was Joe at near post, Trippier at the far.

I mentioned it when it happened last week. I was told on here not to worry, it's only 2 examples weeks apart. I said if Howe is the coach I know he is, he'll be concerned by that and keen to not see it become a pattern. It's happened again and now it's a pattern. I'm sure he's working on it defensively and offensively.

For what it's worth, I think out set piece xG has always somewhat propped up our xG numbers. The difference was that earlier in the season, our set pieces had a fair amount of variance, whereas it's mostly your bog standard routine at the moment. We definitely should be looking to score more with the quality of Trippier's delivery and the size of some of the lads we have. 

Edited by The Prophet

Some of our big chances from set pieces have involved Bruno, either that extended short corner for Tripper to cross it to the Bruno far post header or the ones where its been a layoff to Bruno for a loopy ball in behind. When its just been Trippier crossing for Burn or Schar, we've not had as much joy. It's a simple one, but "not won without Bruno" may be the most illustrative single stat we have this season.

So long as the defence holds up, we're going to compete in every game. Most of the draws were failures to grab three points, not battles to avoid defeat.

On 13/02/2023 at 11:56, The Prophet said:

For what it's worth, I think out set piece xG has always somewhat propped up our xG numbers. The difference was that earlier in the season, our set pieces had a fair amount of variance, whereas it's mostly your bog standard routine at the moment. We definitely should be looking to score more with the quality of Trippier's delivery and the size of some of the lads we have. 

I voiced some concern about our lack of impact from set pieces earlier in the season and was told that we actually scored quite a lot of goals from them. Perhaps we do - or did - but the big lads are all pretty useless in the air from the corners. Lascelles was the only one who really attacked the ball with venom, the rest of them will jump, but the ball usually just skews off their heads into the stands.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I voiced some concern about our lack of impact from set pieces earlier in the season and was told that we actually scored quite a lot of goals from them. Perhaps we do - or did - but the big lads are all pretty useless in the air from the corners. Lascelles was the only one who really attacked the ball with venom, the rest of them will jump, but the ball usually just skews off their heads into the stands.

Aye. Schar's not the biggest but probably the best from the starters. Botman, Burn, Joe, Isak - no confidence in them from set pieces

17 hours ago, TRon said:

For a team that put in a lot of crosses, including from 100 corners per game, we are pathetically weak at attacking them.

16 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

For a team that put in a lot of crosses, including from 100 corners per game, we are pathetically weak at attacking them.

It’s not as pathetic as the float to Williamson set penis - but considering the personnel it is bafflingly poor.

Also a worry that we’ve now conceded from two corners in two games. Who is the set piece coach…?

On 17/02/2023 at 10:12, The Prophet said:

Bruno and most likely Willock along with Targett back after Liverpool. Enjoy the final, then once that welcome distraction is put to one side we'll be back to full strength and ready to resume our title charge.

Yeah I think things will settle down again after the final and we’ll be fine to some extent. Whether we get top four though, tough to say.