The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

20 minutes ago, wormy said:

Do you really think players that signed a year ago or less, for a team that was still worrying about relegation a year go, are going to look at this one transfer window/second half of the season and want out? Feels hyperbolic, to say the least.

And I say this as someone that was disappointed with the January window and felt we left a fantastic opportunity on the table by not looking for an extra quality player or two to keep momentum going.

Botman, Guimaraes etc are better than a club delighted to finish 7th. We need to have more ambition than that to keep our best players.

Why do people go on like spending recklessly and chucking out our FFP structure would have guaranteed top 4? Let’s be real, doing that comes with massive risk and it easily could have not paid off. Thankfully management had the sense to not get itchy trigger fingers but if there was a favourable deal to be done for a CM we would have done it. If you’ve not been won over to trust the process by what we’ve seen already then there’s no hope for you.

About time people wake up and realise that because we’ve spent time in the top 4 this season it doesn’t mean we are ready for a CL campaign, and ironically it’s the same thing that would be said by some people if we did qualify and then struggle in the league due to the extra schedule (‘why didn’t we spend more!!!’). The answer to progress for a club in our transitional situation is not always spend spend spend.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Why do people go on like spending recklessly and chucking out our FFP structure would have guaranteed top 4? Let’s be real, doing that comes with massive risk and it easily could have not paid off. Thankfully management had the sense to not get itchy trigger fingers but if there was a favourable deal to be done for a CM we would have done it. If you’ve not been won over to trust the process by what we’ve seen already then there’s no hope for you.

About time people wake up and realise that because we’ve spent time in the top 4 this season it doesn’t mean we are ready for a CL campaign, and ironically it’s the same thing that would be said by some people if we did qualify and then struggle in the league due to the extra schedule (‘why didn’t we spend more’!!!).  The answer to progress for a club in our transitional situation is not always spend spend spend.

It is when your strength in depth is nonexistent. 

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

About time people wake up and realise that because we’ve spent time in the top 4 this season it doesn’t mean we are ready for a CL campaign, and ironically it’s the same thing that would be said by some people if we did qualify and then struggle in the league due to the extra schedule (‘why didn’t we spend more!!!’). The answer to progress for a club in our transitional situation is not always spend spend spend.

The cream will rise to the top when those around us slowly fail and get caught out...

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It is when your strength in depth is nonexistent. 

How should we have restructured our FFP plans then? Just say fuck it and spend big money on a CM?

Who would you have signed to replace Bruno when he got suspended?

Edited by Nine

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Botman, Guimaraes etc are better than a club delighted to finish 7th. We need to have more ambition than that to keep our best players.

We have ambition by the truckload, but some people need to realise that this won't happen overnight for a number of reasons.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What does this even mean?

Chelsea have splashed the cash and aren't reaping the rewards, wouldn't be surprised if this is their 'Leeds' moment tbh. Man City could be done for FFP irregularities. We just need to trust the plan and evolve in time.

Clearly the owners have high ambitions, but it takes time to put together a quality squad. They're a summer and two January transfer markets in and one of those we were in 19th place.

With the right individuals in place and plenty of money behind them, I have no doubt we'll be competing for trophies and European spots on regular basis. 

Obviously it'd be nice to track to fast track things a bit, but it's not the end of the world if we don't.

2 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

We have ambition by the truckload, but some people need to realise that this won't happen overnight for a number of reasons.

That doesn’t mean making negligent mistakes like leaving us with 3 midfielders and 1 and a 1/2 strikers for the final 5 months of the season.

Ronaldo embarrassing himself on every thread on this forum is quite something, especially since I only managed it on the traitors thread.

When he got married and lost his virginity he was chilled as fuck and disappeared, almost makes me long for the days of Mike Ashley.

It may well be a bit of an opportunity missed this season not splashing in January but that was never the plan.

I'm not so confident in getting top 4 now given Liverpool will play 3 times before we play a game that isn't Man City (a). But we're in pole position to get some kind of European football which, after struggling against relegation for so much of last season, is a hell of a bonus when factoring in the bigger picture. Thinking "awh Bruno and Botman will fuck off then" is a bit overly pessimistic. Quasi masochistic. :lol:

27 minutes ago, STM said:

Ronaldo embarrassing himself on every thread on this forum is quite something, especially since I only managed it on the traitors thread.

When he got married and lost his virginity he was chilled as fuck and disappeared, almost makes me long for the days of Mike Ashley.

Think what you want. We had a great chance to build upon a very flattering brilliant first half of the season and we didn’t despite it being glaring obvious how poor we are in depth. I don’t want to negative but I just don’t see us having the same opportunity next season. 

We’ve made fantastic strides assisted hugely by Almiron’s purple patch but anyone defending that abysmal transfer window is the one embarrassing themselves. 

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Think what you want. We had a great chance to build upon a very flattering brilliant first half of the season and we didn’t despite it being glaring obvious how poor we are in depth. I don’t want to negative but I just don’t see us having the same opportunity next season.

We’ve made fantastic strides assisted hugely by Almiron’s purple patch but anyone defending that abysmal transfer window is the one embarrassing themselves. 

And say we did finish 4th would we have the opportunity to finish 4th next season? 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

We did drop £40million on an attacking player, like. And we didn't sell anyone important. It was hardly abysmal

Would it have been abysmal if we'd kept Shelvey? I can't see him massively impacting any of the results we've had since he departed. 

I think we can still finish 4th tbh, Liverpool were less impressive than I thought, and they are still 6pts behind us. Spurs aren't convincing, and Chelsea are a car crash at the moment. Obviously they all have better squads than us, but we have some character, and we could easily put a string of wins together like we did earlier in the season, and last season.