The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 minute ago, wormy said:

Fucking about in places like Albania not only gives us another year of Howe learning to balance the extra competition but also a coefficient boost that takes us one step further away from the absolute stitch up of a group we got dropped in this season. 

And on a more basic level, playing in Europe is fun as fuck. Getting to play a bunch of teams from around the continent we've never played before. It's class. CL is the absolute pinnacle of that but give me any form of it we can get tbh

Getting to tour Europe and witness our teams profile being raised around the world and on top of actually playing some decent teams in that competition - yet some people don't want that? Mental.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

I used to think this but Conference league is still technically Europe and even mickey mouse European football is still a great platform to attract younger talent and somewhat convince our best players that qualifying for Europe two seasons in a row is progress.

Also, another shot at a trophy. If our best players aren't happy with conference I somehow doubt they'd be happy with 8th in terms of project sold to them.

Personally think we'll beat Brentford and make it. Hope City don't have a shit FA cup final.

fair points, but for me the competition doesn't have the prestige to justify the upheaval that the thursday/sunday fixtures bring to the   domestic routine. Aye it's a trophy, but it hardly registers any excitement with me, I've spoken to a few Hammers fans who kind of shrugged it off rather than shouting from the rooftops

Edited by Holloway

I would've loved Europa League and it would absolutely have been my preference, but now that the Conference League is all that's realistically available to us, I'm desperate for us to be in it. Funny how it required us being in this very position for me to establish that in my head. :lol: I feel a lot more enthusiastic about it with Villa not having won it. 

Can't fucking believe Chelsea are coming out of this season with something to show for it. Awful, awful pricks. They'll never fuck off, will they?

10 minutes ago, wormy said:

Fucking about in places like Albania not only gives us another year of Howe learning to balance the extra competition but also a coefficient boost that takes us one step further away from the absolute stitch up of a group we got dropped in this season. 

stitched up? Like warm balls

Just now, Yorkie said:

I would've loved Europa League and it would absolutely have been my preference, but now that the Conference League is all that's realistically available to us, I'm desperate for us to be in it. Funny how it required is being in this very position for me to establish that in my head. :lol: I feel a lot more enthusiastic about it with Villa now having won it. 

Can't fucking believe Chelsea are coming out of this season with something to show for it. Awful, awful prices. They'll never fuck off, will they?

They'll always come out winners if they can spend a bottomless pit of cash by exploiting loopholes in the rules in total bad faith.

We just have to win our last game to pretty much guarantee ECL and hope that Bournemouth can do something at Chelsea for the EL, not beyond the realms of possibility albeit unlikely. 

Please, please can we just finish above those plastic Mancs for once?

12 minutes ago, Menace said:

Fucking around in places like Albania as opposed to places like Luton? Give your head a shake man.

:lol:

I just have no interest in the competition is all, none whatsoever. 

Can’t believe anyone is turning their noses up at Conference League. A realistic chance of winning a trophy! Let’s do what we need to do at Brentford and see where it takes us. I’ll be buzzing for ECL.

Also, how the fuck did we ‘bottle it’. We were the better team and had the better chances/should have had a penalty. A few stupid mistakes has cost us, it happens, but we didn’t bottle it at all. 

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I would've loved Europa League and it would absolutely have been my preference, but now that the Conference League is all that's realistically available to us, I'm desperate for us to be in it. Funny how it required us being in this very position for me to establish that in my head. :lol: I feel a lot more enthusiastic about it with Villa not having won it. 

Can't fucking believe Chelsea are coming out of this season with something to show for it. Awful, awful pricks. They'll never fuck off, will they?

Why? They spent a billion quid.

Posted (edited)

If I've got my numbers right Brentford on Sunday will be our 51st game of the season. 

This season from a squad of 33, we've only had 8 outfield players who have started or played a significant amount in 30 games or more.  Of them:

Bruno:    48
Gordon:    48
Schär:     43
Longstaff:    40 - injured then played through injury
Burn:    38 - was injured for a month
Isak:    37 - was injured for a month then took a while to hit form
Trippier:    36 - was out for 2 and a half months
Almiron:    32 - was out for 2 and a half months

Those are the players who've played the most :lol:

The rest of the regulars below haven't started or played a significant amount in 25 games

Livramento:    25
Miley:    22
Botman:    21
Joelinton:    21
Murphy:    21
Lascelles:    20
Pope:    20
Wilson:    17
Anderson:    14
Krafth:    12
Hall:    11
Barnes:    11
Willock:    10
Tonali:    8

I've likely got some numbers wrong but I think you get the general idea regardless. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

35 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I support Newcastle, if you think I'm going to turn my nose up at winning any cup then you're off your tits. 

Good for you, so do I. I'm not suggesting you turn your nose up at anything, I'm saying since it's inception I haven't had a moments interest in the competition, that's my personal preference

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Good for you, so do I. I'm not suggesting you turn your nose up at anything, I'm saying since it's inception I haven't had a moments interest in the competition, that's my personal preference

If it wasn't obvious, 'I support Newcastle' was just shorthand for 'we haven't won a trophy in my lifetime'

Edited by Kid Icarus

We won’t win Sunday, so got to hope Brighton show the same heart they showed against us. I won’t hold my breath, the poncey bastards.

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If I've got my numbers right Brentford on Sunday will be our 51st game of the season. 

This season from a squad of 33, we've only had 8 outfield players who have started or played a significant amount in 30 games or more.  Of them:

The rest of the regulars below haven't started or played a significant amount in 25 games

I've likely got some numbers wrong but I think you get the general idea regardless. 

The only saving grace of this season is that Bruno stayed healthy and miraculously avoided the two game ban.

33 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Can’t believe anyone is turning their noses up at Conference League. A realistic chance of winning a trophy! Let’s do what we need to do at Brentford and see where it takes us. I’ll be buzzing for ECL.

Cause its a ton of games - we've not the squad for it, it is zero financial reward and it will impact our league form. And why is it a realistic chance of a trophy? its not a given - still decent teams in that competition. 

18 minutes ago, duo said:

Cause its a ton of games - we've not the squad for it, it is zero financial reward and it will impact our league form. And why is it a realistic chance of a trophy? its not a given - still decent teams in that competition. 

How is it zero financial reward? [emoji38]West Ham earned €18m purely in prize money. We'd be able to field a second string for the majority of the competition too. Really winds me up fans not wanting to play European football so we can focus on the league and try to qualify for European football. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

How is it zero financial reward? [emoji38]West Ham earned €18m purely in prize money. We'd be able to field a second string for the majority of the competition too. Really winds me up fans not wanting to play European football so we can focus on the league and try to qualify for European football. 

it is chicken feed compared to CL - if we want to try and aim for it next season we haven't the squad if we get Conference League.  To keep the likes of Isak and Bruno we need CL football.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

With this resource in mind I thought I'd take a brief look at Chelsea and Brentford with them being above and below us in total games missed through injury. 

Chelsea have thirteen players with 30+ appearances in 50 matches. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-chelsea/leistungsdaten/verein/631

I know they're in a completely different position but even Brentford have eleven with 30+ having played just 41 matches. :lol:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-brentford/leistungsdaten/verein/1148

There's been plenty of disappointing results this season, top 7 would be a great result if we can pull it off.

Find it hard to believe folk don't want to see us do what west ham did tbh, like most on here I've not seen us pick up silverware in my lifetime and I don't care what the first one is.

2 hours ago, duo said:

it is chicken feed compared to CL - if we want to try and aim for it next season we haven't the squad if we get Conference League.  To keep the likes of Isak and Bruno we need CL football.

To be honest, if I saw 100M laying on the ground and a bunch of people lunged forward, then I saw 15M laying near by which I could grab, why would I say fuck it, that's not 100M.

Makes no sense whatsover to me. No sense. Of course it's chicken feed in comparison, but guess what, UCL is not possible so this is cash you can get.

2 hours ago, duo said:

1) it’s about £10m - the CL was worth £30m.  It’s hardly light years away

2) CL payments are based upon coefficients - so if the only time you qualify for Europe is for the CL, then you’re going to get less money

3) it’s Europe

4) It’s a chance of a trophy

5) modern football has turned football fans into accountants, it’s true - but the ‘don’t want to be in Europe because it doesn’t pay enough’ just makes me want to give up.  It’s a shite attitude