The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

1) it’s about £10m - the CL was worth £30m.  It’s hardly light years away

2) CL payments are based upon coefficients - so if the only time you qualify for Europe is for the CL, then you’re going to get less money

3) it’s Europe

4) It’s a chance of a trophy

5) modern football has turned football fans into accountants, it’s true - but the ‘don’t want to be in Europe because it doesn’t pay enough’ just makes me want to give up.  It’s a shite attitude

And if we go and win the whole thing at ECL, we get around £15m in prize money. That’s not bad at all. 

Think I’ve given up on this now after last night. Can only see another poor away performance at the weekend. Our only hope is Brighton do something but I wouldn’t put it past that jammy as fuck Man Utd team to get a point and finish above us yet again. It might be good for us to focus on the league next season but we need to establish ourselves as a regular team in Europe from now on. This is the last season where it’s acceptable to not qualify for anything if it ends up that way. 

Despite our away form it's not inconceivable that we go to Brentford and win. They've been ropey this season and we have won games on the road. 

It's a really big game, like. Whether you've taken an interest in the Conference League or not, there's no meaningful argument to suggest it would be better to be out of it than in it. Even if you think we'd benefit from the free midweeks, it would be more beneficial to actually become further accustomed to that practice; meanwhile Villa have proven that it needn't be overly burdensome. 

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m not sure re. 2nd paragraph. Isak, Bruno can’t be happy at a club finishing 7th / 8th. Sorry to be so negative. 

They may not be be happy but the reality is there's only 2/3 teams rn that you can guarantee that you aren't going to finish 7/8. Only city have consistently been in the top 4 for the past 10 years. It's even more difficult now that we pretty much have 8 teams who can realistically can get UCL. Which means 7/8 finishes are now going to be likely as we can't yet do man city level of spending. 

It looks like we may miss out altogether now. The team has a patched up look about it and I think we'll struggle at Brentford.

The only thing that would bother me about missing out on the Europa League or Conference would be the possibility that it might deter some players from staying or coming. However, I do wonder how big a consideration these competitions are for most top players. The Champions League is a different matter of course. 

The toll that the extra fixtures and travelling take on players is there for all to see, and I'm not sure if, in their heart of hearts, managers and players are all that keen on participating in it, no matter what they might say for the cameras.

Posted (edited)

Bird nest FC won’t lose against Bournemouth unfortunately. I’m not even confident about us beating Brentford. More difficult game than ManU in many some ways. Mentally at least. 

Edited by Ikon

11 hours ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

Job's fucked
Chelsea have a team full of kids by the way, Madueke was still raw and not first choice for PSV, Mudryk had 20 good games in Ukrainian league. Defence is made up of average defenders that are never going to get a game for France.
Let's not pretend the billion makes them world beaters, we should be ahead of them

Not sure we should be ahead of them. Played three times, won one, lost two (well a draw really). They’ve done phenomenally well recently and deserve to be where they are. Plus they consistently have a strong bench.  Peppered with players we couldn’t afford. 

18 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It looks like we may miss out altogether now. The team has a patched up look about it and I think we'll struggle at Brentford.

The only thing that would bother me about missing out on the Europa League or Conference would be the possibility that it might deter some players from staying or coming. However, I do wonder how big a consideration these competitions are for most top players. The Champions League is a different matter of course. 

The toll that the extra fixtures and travelling take on players is there for all to see, and I'm not sure if, in their heart of hearts, managers and players are all that keen on participating in it, no matter what they might say for the cameras.

I don’t think it does. We are more than capable of going to Brentford and winning against a team who have not really performed to their expectations this season, and will be in holiday mode. Players like Toney and others who will have offers in the summer will not want to pick up injuries.

On top of this, a Brighton team could also get something from Man Utd if we need it.

In regards to the FA Cup, Man City will be shit hot favourites, and if they even get out of 2nd gear, Man Utd won’t stand a chance. In a one off game they always have a chance of winning, but you probably wouldn’t bet on it.

21 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I am concerned that the expected revenue from ECL, may be needed to balance books for purchases. Not certain it’s the case but would be a set back to further progression in the short term at least. 

Fuck me we might as well pull down the shutters and close the club down the way some people go on here. Win and we probably get into Europe barring a City meltdown which is a fantastic result after all the shit of this season. ECL income will still be worth upwards of £20m should we win it(gate receipts/prize money) plus valuable coefficient points for when we get higher up. Villa doubled our points in this competition this season and games in random European cities should always be welcomed by fans. So many advantages if we get in. All over this place i see people resigned to losing out already ffs

Might be a dumb question as the site i was reading wasnt totally clear. Says we enter at final quaifying round, so is that 3rd Qualifying Round or the Playoffs? Just could affect our plans regarding Sela cup the weekend of the former with a game the Thursday before not to mention any other pre season games

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Europe again, ole ole ole.

Concourse “Mags, Bags & Slags” crew shooting their load early again.

I know one of the mags, bags & slags brethren ??

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

For me, more competitions involved, more chance of winning silverware.

Would be delighted with conference league, also helps our club coefficient for future years. 

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Might be a dumb question as the site i was reading wasnt totally clear. Says we enter at final quaifying round, so is that 3rd Qualifying Round or the Playoffs? Just could affect our plans regarding Sela cup the weekend of the former with a game the Thursday before not to mention any other pre season games

Start in play off round, which unsure what the date is but prem season is started by that game is played.

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Start in play off round, which unsure what the date is but prem season is started by that game is played.

That was my assumption despite the daft wording. Its 22nd/29th August

45 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

That was my assumption despite the daft wording. Its 22nd/29th August

The second leg would be the perfect game to get Tonali back in to starting line up then.

1 minute ago, Vaj said:

The second leg would be the perfect game to get Tonali back in to starting line up then.

I thought that, if its at home id imagine a cameo was guaranteed

Posted (edited)

Have a sinking feeling that we will finish top 8 in the league just like we did for the League and the FA Cup.

Would love to make it to the ECL, but not feeling too confident about Brentford.

Edited by BermyToon

I'm willing to bet we end up 7th regardless of our performance on Sunday.

Don't see Manu getting anything at Brighton. Will be saving themselves for the FA Cup final. Can imagine they will prefer a scenario of Win the FA cup, and get europa league.

Or lose and and have a fresh rebuild next season with no distractions. Don't think Europa conference would be a competition they'd have any interest being involved in.

Regardless hope we focus on getting a win, and hope chelsea have a slip. But would be happy with any kind of Europe next season

7 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Fuck me we might as well pull down the shutters and close the club down the way some people go on here. Win and we probably get into Europe barring a City meltdown which is a fantastic result after all the shit of this season. ECL income will still be worth upwards of £20m should we win it(gate receipts/prize money) plus valuable coefficient points for when we get higher up. Villa doubled our points in this competition this season and games in random European cities should always be welcomed by fans. So many advantages if we get in. All over this place i see people resigned to losing out already ffs

Think people are just frustrated that we had it in our own hands and now need to bank on another team to do us a favour (while we need to equal Man United's result on Sunday now), even though Man United winning the FA Cup is highly unlikely.

---

We should be wanting any sort of European football, bare minimum it helps Howe get more experience and to improve on how to manage the squad with European football.