The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

620 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Piss take how easy Man Utd and Liverpools run in is like. 

We’ve got Leeds and Leicester who are likely to be relegated and the worst Chelsea team for decades. Brighton are good but we are at home. If we don’t finish 3rd or 4th it will be because we bottled it rather than someone else deserving it.

I see we are generally down to 1/8 across the board now, still firm favourites, but obviously not as near nailed on as we were this time last week. Man Utd are generally 2/7, so more likely to be pipped if someone was, and they have struggled these past few weeks, have key players out, an FA Cup on their mind (which may come into play later), but I still think they are probably in a better position than us. Like us, they are strong at home, haven't been beaten there since the opening day and have 3 very winnable games at OT that should probably see them over the line. Our fixtures aren't crazy hard, but I see more chance of us slipping up at Leeds and at home to Brighton than they do in their 3 home games. It's still in our hands to get it wrapped up before the final day, but I do kind of think it will go down to the last day now.

Without wanting to sound like a doom-monger, and it's genuinely more out of curiosity than pessimism, but apart from the 2.8 or so million, is there any difference in finishing 5th or 6th in terms of European schedule? Obviously both are Europa League this season the way the cups have worked out, but would 6th involve an extra tie?

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Getting a penalty for a ball that hits defenders leg is pretty fucking clear and obvious error lads. :lol:

I stand by that you can't say for sure it's hit his leg.  That's just your option.

If someone had told me in August we'd be going into the last few games with a chance of 5th I'd have asked to have them certified. 5th at the start of the season was just unthinkable, to break into the top 6 and play European football next season was impossible. To jump from 19th to 11 to 5th in 18 months would have been literally unbelievable.

And yet here we are. 4 games left and we're 3rd with a better GD and games in hand on those chasing us. And we've also been to a Cup Final for the first time in a generation. I get dropping out of the top 4 would take a bit of the gloss off a bit but to focus on that negative is an awful way to look at things. The big picture looks very very fucking nice whether we finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. We're gaining ground on them all 

They probably will still finish above Liverpool, but those betting on the Man City-Arsenal-Man Utd-Liverpool direct placing as an emotional hedge bet instead of simply Newcastle to 'finish outside the top 4' will surely be sweating a bit now.

If Liverpool do get to 71 points, as many expect, then Man Utd would have to win 3 matches to finish above them, and them also finishing on 71 and behind on goal difference isn't massively out of the question. If I was paying £20/30 or what not for a consolation should we miss out, then I'd be much more comfortable knowing that you would definitely at least win the bet if the worst happened. Imagine putting on like £50, Newcastle still miss out, and you don't even get your £800 to soften the blow :kasper:.

52 minutes ago, duo said:

I stand by that you can't say for sure it's hit his leg.  That's just your option.

Very very true although his opinion matches the commentators on the broadcast in America, the VAR staff and the ref........and me for what it's worth. I so wanted it to be a pen.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

Very very true although his opinion matches the commentators on the broadcast in America, the VAR staff and the ref........and me for what it's worth. I so wanted it to be a pen.

And me - howay man it's really clutching to be trying to get a pen for that, Shearer's being a bit embarrassing.

Edited by Superior Acuña

5 hours ago, Wilson said:

Came into the season thinking top 10 and a good cup run would be tremendous

:yao:

This^^ alI wanted this season was a good cup run, to try to be best of the rest and a positive goal difference, we have done that in spades 

6 hours ago, midds said:

If someone had told me in August we'd be going into the last few games with a chance of 5th I'd have asked to have them certified. 5th at the start of the season was just unthinkable, to break into the top 6 and play European football next season was impossible. To jump from 19th to 11 to 5th in 18 months would have been literally unbelievable.

And yet here we are. 4 games left and we're 3rd with a better GD and games in hand on those chasing us. And we've also been to a Cup Final for the first time in a generation. I get dropping out of the top 4 would take a bit of the gloss off a bit but to focus on that negative is an awful way to look at things. The big picture looks very very fucking nice whether we finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. We're gaining ground on them all 

Weren’t we the 3rd best team over the calendar year from the point EH came in? I don’t think it’s been such a massive surprise TBH. Agreed on being delighted with the season either way, I just don’t think it’s the revelation that some suggest.

3 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

And me - howay man it's really clutching to be trying to get a pen for that, Shearer's being a bit embarrassing.

And for what it’s worth - me as well.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Weren’t we the 3rd best team over the calendar year from the point EH came in? I don’t think it’s been such a massive surprise TBH. Agreed on being delighted with the season either way, I just don’t think it’s the revelation that some suggest.

Doing it over the season and getting it over the line rather than having it with fictitious tables drawn up to prove a point are completely different.  Even so it’s still a huge achievement, everybody always said we wanted a team that tried and now we have one so me for one are already applauding us getting into Europe and will applaud if it keeps getting better but I won’t be disappointed now.

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Doing it over the season and getting it over the line rather than having it with fictitious tables drawn up to prove a point are completely different.  Even so it’s still a huge achievement, everybody always said we wanted a team that tried and now we have one so me for one are already applauding us getting into Europe and will applaud if it keeps getting better but I won’t be disappointed now.

The table wasn’t fictitious, it was over a different period of time.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

The table wasn’t fictitious, it was over a different period of time.

What I mean is there’s no pressure in those scenarios. The same was said about villa this season but since they’ve beat us and they have had expectations their form has fallen off a cliff (typically).

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

What I mean is there’s no pressure in those scenarios. The same was said about villa this season but since they’ve beat us and they have had expectations their form has fallen off a cliff (typically).

That’s a fair point. However it’s more geared towards the business end of the season. It’s not a massive massive surprise that we’re challenging for top four is my point, given our previous form.

Edited by Dr Venkman

8 hours ago, duo said:

I can’t understand how anyone doesn’t think that hits his leg. His arm goes behind his leg and the shorts move on impact. Bit daft from Shearer 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I can’t understand how anyone doesn’t think that hits his leg. His arm goes behind his leg and the shorts move on impact. Bit daft from Shearer 

Looks to me like it hits leg and arm simultaneously. The fact that we are having the conversation means it wasn't clear and obvious.

Just now, madras said:

Looks to me like it hits leg and arm simultaneously. The fact that we are having the conversation means it wasn't clear and obvious.

The whole clear and obvious thing is a farce.