The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Its early in the season and some teams will come good, but they all seem to struggle with different issues. Chelsea lack pattern and is still a question mark. Liverpool have problems in defence and midfield but probably the best attack out of all the top teams bar City. Arsenal dont have big issues but lost controll against Fulham. Manu have a lot to do. Spurs and City look good.

Big game tomorrow - even bigger after today.

Arsenal, Brighton and arguably Man United have all dropped points unexpectedly and if we win we'd have taken 6 points from two of our other champions league rivals.

It's obviously early doors but go into the games where we're expected to take maximum points after already taking points off all our competitors and we can be super confident. Losing tomorrow would be a massive boost for Liverpool too in my opinion. Cannot see Chelsea picking up the pace enough until they're already too far behind but Spurs are looking steady at present.

Fancy it to be wide open this year though until around the 35/36 game mark

We'll have to perform extra special this season, we saw last season how Liverpool and Man U, the nation's favoured northern teams* got extra points throughout the season as a result of their blessed status, now we are seeing already how marginal decisions will be weighted in their favour, winning them points they haven't really earned. I said in another thread I had no idea how Man U ended up in the CL, I think today's game shows exactly how.

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Us, West Ham, Brighton, Man United, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea.

The fight is going to be absolutely insane this season for 3rd-4th(5th).

I'll be surprised if there are that many teams in the running. Takes a monumental effort to put the required circa 70 points on the board.

38 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Watching some of the highlights from our last season, I’m struggling to believe we can get anywhere near that this season. Some of our performances, goals and wins were unbelievable. Someone change my mind please!

We've already beaten Villa 5-1 this season, be reet.

6 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Watching some of the highlights from our last season, I’m struggling to believe we can get anywhere near that this season. Some of our performances, goals and wins were unbelievable. Someone change my mind please!

We have a better squad 

7 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Pretty easy that. Remember the start of the season where we drew a number of games and lost others unluckily, De Bryune's eye of a needle pass for City to equalise and Isak's offside goal and the extra, extra, extra time winner for Liverpool stand out for example.  Also the January to March period where we just couldn't score.  A rub of the green here, a bit more quality there from new signings/players getting better and we win those games.  I also think we hit the bar and post more than any other team.

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I'll be surprised if there are that many teams in the running. Takes a monumental effort to put the required circa 70 points on the board.

We’ve been, on average, in Top Four form (points per game wise) since January 2022. Do you think we have a stronger or weaker squad since any particular point in that 20 month period? 

8 hours ago, black_n_white said:

We’ve added quality to the squad, a great pre season, players self belief, Wor flags, us the fans dizzy and dreaming again. It is not a blip, our form is very good. We are a good side that teams fear to play. We are United! :indi:

IMG_2730.thumb.webp.6580e8b859b71ba508a00c78451ef12c.webp

48 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

We’ve been, on average, in Top Four form (points per game wise) since January 2022. Do you think we have a stronger or weaker squad since any particular point in that 20 month period? 

I'm not talking about us in particular. More the likes of West Ham and Brighton. I'd be shocked if they manage 70 points.

To be fair though, squad strength is only one factor of what needs to be in your favour to maintain top four form. Luck, injuries, amount of fixtures, etc being others.

14 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Why would that mean that we couldn’t do it again though? Appreciate the extra games with CL point but there is no reason in my mind why the unbelievable performances, goals and wins aren’t the new baseline (and have been for a while).

I also question when pundits etc. claim that we’re “over performing”… We’ve been performing at that level too consistently and for too long for it to not be based on true ability and proper training and preparation. It obviously won’t be easy and it isn’t a given but I would love and ‘expert’ in the media to tell me how you break through ‘over performing’ to something being the new norm. We’ve further strengthened the squad, we’re constantly improving so bring the challenge on again :indi:

Edited by Robson Wonderland

14 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Don’t forget the amount of draws we had last season as well. Turn a few of them into wins and we shouldn’t be far off top 4.