The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

620 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I can see us going on a good run. However, I honestly believe that a couple of quality signings is needed if we are to have a really really strong second half of the season. Mostly because of the psychological aspect. It would give the rest of the squad a massive massive positive and lift spirits greatly. Secondly, to improve quality. A lot can happen in half a season. I just hope we get the players in early. If we are looking to get anyone in. Quality is key. 

It's worth noting that even though we might be 9 points worse off than last season at the same time, so are other teams in terms of position. The league leaders last year were 5 points better off with a much narrower gap between 1st and 7th. This means that all the top teams are taking points off each other regardless of where anyone is. 

It all means that if it continues like this we won't need as many points as we did last year to make top 6. So there's hope!!

Be a hopeful idiot like Froggy!

8 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Make of it what you will.

79230E2E-A0E3-4EAD-A5BA-A2222FF25B0E.jpeg

Brighton nr. 7 with a thin squad, lots of injuries and still in the Europa League? They've won 3 of their last 13 games in the league and hasn't kept a clean sheet all season. Half of their points was gathered in the first 6 games, before Europa League and injuries started catching up with them.

Edited by Erikse

8 hours ago, Froggy said:

I must say, reading this thread makes me feel like a bit of a hopeful idiot. :lol: I absolutely believe we can finish in the top 4/5, and I don't see why Newcastle shouldn't still hope for that as well.

Howe and Ten Hag both have a track history of being streaky managers who go on long winning runs. With a lot of players to come back for both teams I do still think there's 5/6 teams in the top four race. 

I'll delete this when Forest beat us tomorrow.

I think the Forest game blew all hope out of the window. We have been strong at home the whole season. Its been our "safe zone". Suddenly our away problems turned up at our own ground. 

Didnt think i was going to write this a month ago, but if you can win the Spurs game Manu are in a strong position. After the draw at Anfield, and beating Villa you are on the up.

Edited by nufc123

While I was glad to see Man U beat Villa just to stop them getting too much distance between us, I am a bit wary of Man U getting a huge lift from the win, especially the manner of it, coming from two behind. Could do with them losing a couple of easy fixtures just to stop any momentum building.

On 29/12/2023 at 02:07, Ronaldo said:

We’ll need 42 points (just about title winning form) in the second half of the season just to equal last season’s points total. 4th isn’t happening now, unfortunately. 

Did we not get 42 points in Howe’s first half-season? I’ll have a look later, but it was something remarkable like that. 

We’ll need 42 points (just about title winning form) in the second half of the season just to equal last season’s points total. 4th isn’t happening now, unfortunately. 

Couldn’t find exact stats, but Jan to Apr 2023 was quite impressive 
over 55% win percentage, 1.96 points per game, and a goal difference of +40. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

23 hours ago, nufcnick said:

Might as well change this to the top8, as we’re getting nowhere near the top 6 

After an ‘unusual’ season to date, fixtures and injuries wise, we are two points off the average points return for an eventual 6th place finish. I’m curious why you’re so certain. 
Are you nihilistic Nick? Nasty Nick? Or not really NUFC Nick? 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Sorry for stats bombing your post, and hogging thread, but found the comparison I was searching for. Last 19 games of the 2021-22 season, Howe and co, managed 38 points with what was mainly Bruce’s team. 12 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses (all away, including 5-0 trouncing by Man City, except a 0-1 reverse at home to Liverpool). 
The same for this half season, would put us on 67 points. Which is close to the average for a 4th place finish (68) and I suspect, the way teams are taking points off one another, would be enough for 4th this season. 
So, in short, no reason to stop believing just yet. 

13 minutes ago, Decky said:

Gonna be absolute scenes on here if Wolves and Chelsea go above us and we're 11th at some point in January. Before you panic just look at the fixtures after January. 

Yeah, I expect us to be 11th/12th at the end of Jan

But then as you say the fixtures look way kinder on paper after that, that's where we have a chance to put a ring together and start to jump up the table 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Come Feb onwards it’s Man United away, Chelsea away, Arsenal away, and the other clubs around us at home ya?

Yeah Arsenal away is the only one I'd be fearful of, the rest are winnable and with a week between games and a winter break over us we should be able to get a good solid run together.  If we get anything in January then I'm happy because in my mind I've written all 3 games off in our current state. Beating the mackems and getting another cup run going would be class as well.

3 minutes ago, Decky said:

Yeah Arsenal away is the only one I'd be fearful of

Must say im fearful of every away match right now. Less games should help, and players back (if they are back). Still loads of question marks over us. But it cant go much worse (away), thats a positive.

35 minutes ago, Decky said:

Gonna be absolute scenes on here if Wolves and Chelsea go above us and we're 11th at some point in January. Before you panic just look at the fixtures after January. 

Not from me - as long as we stay away from relegation spots I’ll genuinely be happy.

15 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Must say im fearful of every away match right now. Less games should help, and players back (if they are back). Still loads of question marks over us. But it cant go much worse (away), thats a positive.

After Sunderland we only have 2 games in four weeks (3 if we beat Sunderland) so our squad should get a good rest and get back to a decent level of match readiness. Its also another month for the injured players to come back hopefully, and maybe we'll make a signing or two. January has the potential to be absolutely rank but better days are ahead this season.

The clubs around us have started beating each other, so it looks like whoever gets fifth won't need 70 points to do it.

In the last 10 fixtures, we've gained the same points as Tottenham, one fewer than Brighton, and three fewer than Man U. We've had some very poor results, but its not a complete disaster.

We need to tighten up defensively and start hitting a barn door instead of missing easy chances early in games. Both are things we've been able to do before under Howe. Fewer fixtures overall should mean fewer injuries and more time to regroup.

On 29/12/2023 at 09:08, Froggy said:

I must say, reading this thread makes me feel like a bit of a hopeful idiot. :lol: I absolutely believe we can finish in the top 4/5, and I don't see why Newcastle shouldn't still hope for that as well.

Howe and Ten Hag both have a track history of being streaky managers who go on long winning runs. With a lot of players to come back for both teams I do still think there's 5/6 teams in the top four race. 

ab67706c0000da8430986df9aa4fa1673afef281.jpeg.355c470acc51bae287423cc6d34f3800.jpeg

On 29/12/2023 at 09:08, Froggy said:

It's still here:coolsmiley:

Anyhoo........ I'm hopeful and I know we can but think it unlikely.

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

We basically need to turn from being one of the worst teams in the league in away games to being the best in away games.

Just cannot see that happening quickly.

It can happen and has, recently, to us. Check out the 2022 bit of 2021-22 season vs the earlier debacle. We surely have a better squad now (or certainly will have with bods coming back).