The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

In the age of FFP Villa will continue to be right up there. Their infrastructure and academy will allow them to keep spending at a high level. They were a few years ahead of us prior to the takeover - they just made a horrendous appointment in Gerrard.

Agree. Can't underestimate that moving Grealish on for £100m eased a lot of their FFP concerns too. Throw in a brilliant manager and system and a board willing to back him in the market and you've got a hell of a club to try and compete with

It's not just the blue chip players like Grealish and J. Ramsey - they accumulated decent sales from the likes of Archer, A. Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Philogene over last couple of years.

It's why developing the likes of Elliot Anderson in and around our squad is so worthwhile, even if ultimately they end up moving on. 

Cameron Archer - £20 million

Aaron Ramsey - £14 million

Chukwuemeka - £15 million

Jaden Philogene - £5 million

Along with Grealish that is £150 million of pure profit for FFP. We need to get to the point where our academy is churning out regular lower PL/Championship players like this.

3 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Decent bit of an insult like he's one of the best around.

Personally I'd say he's very good and doing a fine job at Villa.

On 09/12/2023 at 21:31, The Prophet said:

In previous sessions Emery has been a superb cup manager, but it all to prove in the league.

Largely underwhelming league finishes in La Liga with Villarreal and Sevilla, including not recording a single victory on the road in his last season at the latter.

At PSG he lost the league title to Monaco, before regaining it the next year and fifth was his best finish at Arsenal.

He'd still have been a great appointment for us and has been fantastic for Villa, but finishing fourth this season would probably be his biggest league-based achievement since Valencia.

Villa making it difficult for me to stand by my position that they will regress to the mean... Still possible, but maybe it's just a purple patch of a season for them, and that's not to take anything away from their quality/Emery's job

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Villa are definitely here to stay in terms of challenging for the top 6 with the financial backing they have , a lot may depend on keeping Emery though as I reckon he might get another shot at a bigger club than Villa.

He wants to manage Barca/Real madrid and both could be coming up

17 minutes ago, midds said:

Agree. Can't underestimate that moving Grealish on for £100m eased a lot of their FFP concerns too. Throw in a brilliant manager and system and a board willing to back him in the market and you've got a hell of a club to try and compete with

I’m not so sure though. The Grealish sale only applies for 3 years. Until they start getting massive sponsorship deals, then ultimately they won’t be able to afford to keep pace. We have taken a massive stride towards this in the last year, with Sela, Adidas, and other commercial deals.

Is the likes of Adidas, and Nike going to takeover their Castore deal for £40m per year? Probably not.

They will without a doubt be the best of the rest, and regularly be in Europe, but I can’t see them title challengers year in year out.

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Cameron Archer - £20 million

Aaron Ramsey - £14 million

Chukwuemeka - £15 million

Jaden Philogene - £5 million

Along with Grealish that is £150 million of pure profit for FFP. We need to get to the point where our academy is churning out regular lower PL/Championship players like this.

Finn Azaz who is on loan to Plymouth and was there all last season, and is doing well. I can see him going for 10-15m easily. A player who has never played for us. 

We’ve invested a huge amount in the new inner city academy which is literally around the corner to make it even easier to tap into local talent. 

Cameron Archer, Louie Barry, Tim Iroegbunam, Jacob and Aaron Ramsey (and the third brother, Cole) - all from within a couple of miles from the ground. 

There is a reason Man City invest so much in youth even with their money. It’s always been important but with FFP is even more so. 

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m not so sure though. The Grealish sale only applies for 3 years. Until they start getting massive sponsorship deals, then ultimately they won’t be able to afford to keep pace. We have taken a massive stride towards this in the last year, with Sela, Adidas, and other commercial deals.

Is the likes of Adidas, and Nike going to takeover their Castore deal for £40m per year? Probably not.

They will without a doubt be the best of the rest, and regularly be in Europe, but I can’t see them title challengers year in year out.

re Adidas - one of our co owners is the largest private shareholder in adidas so I wouldn’t be at all surprised 

10 minutes ago, brummie said:

re Adidas - one of our co owners is the largest private shareholder in adidas so I wouldn’t be at all surprised 

Fair enough.

I don’t want to be seen from overlooking how well you have done for a full year now.

I have fuck all beef with Villa now, apart from that flag cunt who keeps trying to force something ahead of every match between our clubs.

I just think challenging for the title and such will take sustained levels of investment, and a while to build something for any new entrants.

I don’t think we will challenge for the title for 5 years at least to be honest.

If you finish in a Champions League place this year and suddenly get that Adidas deal, and a Sela like deal amongst the stuff we are getting now, then that will change the outlook.

Irregardless, Villa’s shit years are over. You have owners who are wealthy enough to never be in danger of going bust like previously, and with an academy, new training facilities, and Villa Park expansion, you have the foundations for a stable club.

Lastly, I’m convinced the like of Liverpool etc will take us into a closed Premier League whether we like it or not, and you can’t see Villa being in a situation where they are out of the league, and locked out of it.

Edited by Stifler

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Won’t be allowed then will it ? 

Why not?

There's no reason for it not to be, the only reason they'd look at it would be if it had potential FFP impact, ie was some sort of work around that involved paying inflated figures.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Won’t be allowed then will it ? 

Yeah it will.

If they finish in a Champions League place they will easily be able to point to us and say that we are getting £40m per year because of us doing it last season, and that it is of fair market value.

There’s still two games to play until we STILL have half the season to play. Our away form has been poor and needs to get better. We are out of Europe now. Hopefully a couple of good results away and some players back and maaayybe a signing or two to strengthen us in January. Get some momentum going and a fresh squad with good quality and decent depth and anything can happen now without Europe affecting us. 

Easy to forget that the teams above might bottle things after a couple of bad results and the pressure of getting top 4 towards the end of the season. Fingers crossed that we can keep key players fit. Especially Bruno and Isak to name two. IF there’s any possibility to get a TOP keeper then do it. It would give the whole team confidence and a calmness that you won’t get without one.