The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Hopefully the lads are fired up after the disappointment of tonight and realise that there’s still a massive accomplishment to be achieved this season. Tunnel vision for this now. 

Edited by Decky

I don’t think we’ll do it now unless we reinvent our attacking play. Which is possible given Bruno is back and Isak and ASM are both available. 

The goals from corners and freekicks are a problem too, at both ends. 

Hopefully this will be a fresh start and a weight off the shoulders in a way. 

As I said another thread, every match from here on out should be treated as a cup final. All actions and thoughts should be based on the match we're playing, not loyalty or tactical continuity where they contraindicate the 3 points.

56 minutes ago, 80 said:

As I said another thread, every match from here on out should be treated as a cup final. All actions and thoughts should be based on the match we're playing, not loyalty or tactical continuity where they contraindicate the 3 points.

After today's outcome not sure we should be treating it as a cup final

I think a more relaxed approach is needed, if we enjoy these 15 games I think we'll fare better than properly building each game up

9 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

After today's outcome not sure we should be treating it as a cup final

I think a more relaxed approach is needed, if we enjoy these 15 games I think we'll fare better than properly building each game up

Ordinarily, I agree with you, but I also think we're at risk of dreaming our season away. Our response to setbacks literally can't keep being to do what we do even harder. Almiron can't track back more, Joelinton can't simultaneously play even more positions on the pitch, Trippier to Burn isn't going to turn into a ten goal a season combo. So we need new approaches.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Ordinarily, I agree with you, but I also think we're at risk of dreaming our season away. Our response to setbacks literally can't keep being to do what we do even harder. Almiron can't track back more, Joelinton can't simultaneously play even more positions on the pitch, Trippier to Burn isn't going to turn into a ten goal a season combo. So we need new approaches.

I don't disagree with any of that, was more the treating games as cup finals I was disagreeing with but reading it back I guess you were referring to it tactically as opposed to psychologically, so my bad on that one

On the tactics side of it, we know what formation we are going to play and can mostly predict the players too, so it's obvious the opposition will know too so mixing it up has to be considered 

I'd like us to play a 4-2-3-1 at some stage, Bruno and Joelinton are more than capable of playing as a two and it then gets more attacking players closer to the striker 

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't disagree with any of that, was more the treating games as cup finals I was disagreeing with but reading it back I guess you were referring to it tactically as opposed to psychologically, so my bad on that one

On the tactics side of it, we know what formation we are going to play and can mostly predict the players too, so it's obvious the opposition will know too so mixing it up has to be considered 

I'd like us to play a 4-2-3-1 at some stage, Bruno and Joelinton are more than capable of playing as a two and it then gets more attacking players closer to the striker 

Yes, I meant it tactically, not psychologically. Guessed you took me the wrong way, no worries :)

And yes, agree I'd like to look at something like that. Once Targett's back I'd even consider a 5-3-2/3-5-2.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

In the league, we've scored three goals since Boxing Day - 7 games, 5 points out of a possible 21.

It's 8 points. Still, it's been a poor run compared to the standards set earlier and a shame the form has dropped at the wrong time. But hopefully we can put a good run together still between now and the end of the season.

3 hours ago, alexf said:

It's 8 points. Still, it's been a poor run compared to the standards set earlier and a shame the form has dropped at the wrong time. But hopefully we can put a good run together still between now and the end of the season.

Typo, sorry. I really think we can put a good run together again, but some work will be required to make it happen. I don't think things are just going to click back into place as we might have hoped a few weeks ago.

Is anyone on here good with finding stats? I'm not, but I really want to know whether there has been a drop in the number of attempts at goal from outside the penalty box by us post-world cup.

At the top of my head, the last time we scored from range was Bruno at Southampton and Willock against Chelsea at home.

We are trying to play the ball around the box without any shots ending the move. Its utterly frustrating and I'm sure this was not the case before the World Cup. What has changed in our policy for shooting from range? 

Edited by nufcjb

Top 6ometer might be more realistic, and right now 6th will be a Europa qualification spot.

Think 5th & 6th will be 2 of us, Brighton and Liverpool.

4th is out of the window now for me, not enough goals up front after Miggys short purple patch.

I'd settle for any European football next season at this stage. I just heard 'Eye of the Tiger' playing on the radio a few minutes ago and it got me going and hoping, God help the players lift themaelves up and get ready for a real attack for a high place finish in the remaining 15 games after yesterday's result.

It would be awful if we missed out on Europe altogether after how the season was going up until that second leg. We're obviously still in the race for 4th, but it'll be very tough, and I personally can't see us finishing any higher than 5th unfortunately, or lower than 7th. Just hoping Man Utd, Man City, Spurs and (to a lesser extent) Brighton all come through in the FA Cup over the next couple of days, and one of them goes on to take the trophy to keep more European options open for us, should it go downhill a bit.

It may have had a bit of an impact on their league form, but West Ham have played 6 matches in Europe thus far, and have had matches in Brussels, Bucharest, and Denmark, won all 6 matches, and now have a 2 legged tie with a Cypriot team for a place in a significant QF, so even if it ended up 'just' being Europa Conference (either by finishing 6th and FA Cup goes to a less fancied side, or by finishing 7th and a better side wins it), I'd be pretty content / happy.

We were in Europe (Champions League, UEFA/Europa, Cup Winners Cup) in 9 of my first 13 seasons growing up, and 2 of those other 4 we were at least playing the likes of 1860 Munich and Deportivo in the Intertoto Cup, so to only be in Europe once in the next 16 seasons really is grim, and hopefully that is put right, regardless of competition, later this year.

Bottom line is we have to start winning games. Be a long shot at Manchester City but got to be getting back on track with Wolves (h) and Forest (a). Then a massive run-in, big home games against Man Utd, Spurs and Brighton. 

Also realised if Spurs get to the FA Cup semi final our game with them gets rescheduled which would result in us having 4 consecutive away games, no home games for almost a month.

39 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bottom line is we have to start winning games. Be a long shot at Manchester City but got to be getting back on track with Wolves (h) and Forest (a). Then a massive run-in, big home games against Man Utd, Spurs and Brighton. 

Also realised if Spurs get to the FA Cup semi final our game with them gets rescheduled which would result in us having 4 consecutive away games, no home games for almost a month.

Yeah, and I don’t even have tickets for Wolves. Will be an age since I’ve been to a game. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, and I don’t even have tickets for Wolves. Will be an age since I’ve been to a game. 

We're potentially going to have 5 home games between 30 April and the end of the season. Brighton game will be midweek around then and potentially Spurs too if they're in the FA Cup semi final.

Bruno possibly missing the next game with possible injury and then Joelinton bound to pick up a yellow Vs Man City and be out for two games. 

So we're going to have to find ways to win when missing key players.