The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

We have all summer to talk ourselves into the Europa League if needed.

For now there's no reason to not be dreaming about trips to the Bernabeu, Stade Velodrome, and the real Stadium of Light.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

For now there's no reason to not be dreaming about trips to the Bernabeu, Stade Velodrome, and the real Stadium of Light.

:laugh: Fair comment. 

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

I was with you on the bernabeu but could you not have found two better than Marseille and Benfica? [emoji38]

Nou camp, San siro, Allianz arena....

1 minute ago, STM said:

I was with you on the bernabeu but could you not have found two better than Marseille and Benfica? [emoji38]

Ha, the first two have happened and I was avoiding corporate names. Makes it sound less magical.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

We've been to both them too (albeit 19years (doesn't feel like it) in one case)

12 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

It was more the idea that European football would be some form of hinderance because it isn't as financially beneficial as the Champions League. While The Europa doesn't carry as much financial clout, it's an absolutely depressing way to frame it as a football fan.

Edited by The Prophet

I'll be devastated if we miss out on CL now, we'd have thrown it away. Been dreaming most of my conscious Newcastle supporting life of hearing the CL anthem at SJP. The ground from matchday 1 of the group stages would be insane, even more so for two legged knockouts should we get there.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

18 minutes ago, STM said:

There is no Nou Camp next season. Barcelona are playing elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'll be devastated if we miss out on CL now, we'd have thrown it away. Been dreaming most of my conscious Newcastle supporting life of hearing the CL anthem at SJP. The ground from matchday 1 of the group stages would be insane, even more so for two legged knockouts should we get there.

I agree but what's interesting is that when we previously got into the Champions League in 2002, the games were pretty poorly attended, typically about 40k attendance.

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

There is no Nou Camp next season. Barcelona are playing elsewhere.

Playing at the Estadio Freddie Mercury, the old Olympic stadium.

----

FC Astana and/or Qarabağ for me please.

9 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I agree but what's interesting is that when we previously got into the Champions League in 2002, the games were pretty poorly attended, typically about 40k attendance.

Think the starved nature of our success will yield sell outs in any competition we're in for the foreseeable. 

10 minutes ago, Wullie said:
26 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'm sure it'll have been discussed on here before but why was this? Can barely imagine it now. I'd expect 52k in the building for even a dead rubber EL group stage game against Plovdiv tbh.

12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Always did find that interesting tbf, there any real reason for that? How were tickets sold and stuff? May have been a weird system.

The glamour or pull of the CL I imagine was gone way up since then and like Kanji has said, we're in a situation now where home draws in the early rounds of cups now will sell out easily.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Always did find that interesting tbf, there any real reason for that? How were tickets sold and stuff? May have been a weird system.

The glamour or pull of the CL I imagine was gone way up since then and like Kanji has said, we're in a situation now where home draws in the early rounds of cups now will sell out easily.

Nah no weird system, I remember being able to ring up the box office after I had got in from school as a 13 year old or so and being able to buy tickets for Inter Milan & Barcelona after about 4pm on the day of the game. I did the same for the Uefa Cup semi against Marseille as well.

Bizarre. The prestige of it or interest in it not there?

Just having a quick look at the home gates from .com match reports from 02-03;

Feyenoord: 40,540, 1500 away fans

Juventus: 48,570, <300 away fans

Dynamo Kyiv: 40,185, 150 away fans

Inter: 50,108, number of away fans not in report

Bayer Leverkusen: 40,508, 200 away fans

Barcelona: 51,833, 181 away fans

Wasn't just us. Even now fans of clubs from countries that don't really have away fan culture like Spain would bring at least 2k to games in England now surely?

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

For the group stage you had to commit to buying a ticket for all three games. So minimum outlay of about £100.

Different times now though. Even if they did that again (obviously they wouldn’t), they’d still sell out no bother

23 minutes ago, Disco said:

Playing at the Estadio Freddie Mercury, the old Olympic stadium.

----

FC Astana and/or Qarabağ for me please.

Went to Baku in 2018. Well up for a CL trip this time around! Aren't they usually pot 4 though, like we will be?

Just now, SteV said:

For the group stage you had to commit to buying a ticket for all three games. So minimum outlay of about £100.

Different times now though. Even if they did that again (obviously they wouldn’t), they’d still sell out no bother

Aye. IIRC (may be wrong, I was only 12 :lol: ) for the Europa League under Pardew they sold tickets just like how they do for cup matches now, so ST holders only get the 19 league matches but get first dibs on their seat before member sale. Will probably just be that.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bizarre. The prestige of it or interest in it not there?

Just having a quick look at the home gates from .com match reports from 02-03;

Feyenoord: 40,540, 1500 away fans

Juventus: 48,570, <300 away fans

Dynamo Kyiv: 40,185, 150 away fans

Inter: 50,108, number of away fans not in report

Bayer Leverkusen: 40,508, 200 away fans

Barcelona: 51,833, 181 away fans

Wasn't just us. Even now fans of clubs from countries that don't really have away fan culture like Spain would bring at least 2k to games in England now surely?

Bilbao brought a few for the UEFA cup and that was before those games.