The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

27 minutes ago, Disco said:

Playing at the Estadio Freddie Mercury, the old Olympic stadium.

The one on Montjuic? Didn't know that. Did Espanyol used to play there or have I made that up?

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was more the idea that European football would be some form of hinderance because it isn't as financially beneficial as the Champions League. While The Europa doesn't carry as much financial clout, it's an absolutely depressing way to frame it as a football fan.

I do agree with you, but I'd also say those fans are the victims of UEFA/the business community twisting everything they can to make the Champion's League the only prestigious place to be. As of next season, you'll need to be worse than 25% of Premier League teams to qualify for the Europa League, and garner less attention and respect for getting to a final then CL teams do for making a quarter.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

The one on Montjuic? Didn't know that. Did Espanyol used to play there or have I made that up?

Aye that one and aye, they did. It's not a bad reserve ground to call upon. Had a poke about a few years back.

4 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Went to Baku in 2018. Well up for a CL trip this time around! Aren't they usually pot 4 though, like we will be?

Aye probably. Was just thinking of clubs that are miles away with big stadiums where I might be able to nab a ticket. 

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

For the group stage you had to commit to buying a ticket for all three games. So minimum outlay of about £100.

Different times now though. Even if they did that again (obviously they wouldn’t), they’d still sell out no bother

Actually, I’m saying this but now I’m doubting myself as whether I’m getting confused with the initial time we were in the CL under KD?

I had a ST then and went to all three games, but under BR I didn’t have a ST and just bought tickets on a match-by-match basis (think I went to all of them except Kyiv). So not sure whether that 3-match thing was in place for ST holders then? Maybe that was just to guarantee your own seat or something?

Is there a standard pricing policy for CL games now, or can you charge what you want as long as you charge away fans the same for equivalent seats?

17 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bizarre. The prestige of it or interest in it not there?

Just having a quick look at the home gates from .com match reports from 02-03;

Feyenoord: 40,540, 1500 away fans

Juventus: 48,570, <300 away fans

Dynamo Kyiv: 40,185, 150 away fans

Inter: 50,108, number of away fans not in report

Bayer Leverkusen: 40,508, 200 away fans

Barcelona: 51,833, 181 away fans

Wasn't just us. Even now fans of clubs from countries that don't really have away fan culture like Spain would bring at least 2k to games in England now surely?

Pre-low cost, and being easily able to book online, airlines. Also the number of Eurofolk living in the UK would've been way, way less.

Mad looking back though. UEFA Cup games in the 90's always sold out.

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

How did we end up taking so many to Inter that year? 10-12k according to .com. Must've been some trip!

If memory serves, there was a bit of unrest amongst Inter fans, I think related to their ownership, and there was a sort of boycott, but not really a boycott (we’ve all been there…) going on, so they were happy to more or less give us as many tickets as we wanted.

Is everyone convinced that Liverpool will beat Villa? I know Villa have lost the last 2, but they are a good side and could be fighting for Europa League/conference.

Also Man United's fixtures are easier than ours without doubt, but their goal difference is poor and they aren't playing well.

Even considering the above we need 6 (maybe 7) points to be certain.

The away fans will back the lads to the hilt.

AT SJP we just need to stay calm and give the team the support we gave them on Sunday.

Taking all of the above into consideration, we've got a very good chance of doing it, and the bookmakers think the same.

HWTL.

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

Pre-low cost, and being easily able to book online, airlines. Also the number of Eurofolk living in the UK would've been way, way less.

Mad looking back though. UEFA Cup games in the 90's always sold out.

Also in the relatively early days of televised sport, with ticket prices being higher in relationship to wages. 

I was a teenager when Inter came, and had a season ticket with my dad and my sister. My dad said he wouldn't pay to go watch us play Inter because it was on TV. 

So my sister and I saved our pocket money and bought our own tickets to go without him. I will always remember how I felt about this decision after five minutes when Bellamy got sent off at 0-1. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Bizarre. The prestige of it or interest in it not there?

Just having a quick look at the home gates from .com match reports from 02-03;

Feyenoord: 40,540, 1500 away fans

Juventus: 48,570, <300 away fans

Dynamo Kyiv: 40,185, 150 away fans

Inter: 50,108, number of away fans not in report

Bayer Leverkusen: 40,508, 200 away fans

Barcelona: 51,833, 181 away fans

Wasn't just us. Even now fans of clubs from countries that don't really have away fan culture like Spain would bring at least 2k to games in England now surely?

Went to all of those luckily enough for me. Do remember the tickets being a little steep, I've got £35 a pop in my head that was for Gallowgate (middle tier). Doesn't sound too much now but 21 years ago that seemed pricey on top of what I was paying for the season ticket too. 

Just now, midds said:

Went to all of those luckily enough for me. Do remember the tickets being a little steep, I've got £35 a pop in my head that was for Gallowgate (middle tier). Doesn't sound too much now but 21 years ago that seemed pricey on top of what I was paying for the season ticket too. 

Sounds about right. With the inflation in entertainment prices we've seen over the past couple of decades, that's probably more like £70 today. One of the few benefits, if it even deserves to be called that, of the Ashley years is NUFC became a cheaper day out over time. Which is why our pre-season prices this season came as a shock to some.

Out of interest I looked at what other PL clubs charge for CL tickets.

Liverpool charge exactly the same prices for CL as they do for league matches. £53-£59 for the Main Stand/pitchside stands, £37-£48 for the Anfield Road and Kop ends behind the goals. They also only charge juniors £9 for anywhere in the ground.

Can't find any info on Man City but I do know some of their fans have had a huge go at the club both this season and last for what they charge for league matches. They were charging ~£70 for a seat in the upper tier in one of the main stands for a rearranged Thursday night game v Spurs in the winter on Sky.

Chelsea charge £35 nigh on across the board everywhere in the ground in the group stage, but that almost doubles to £55-£70 depending on where the seat in the ground is in the round of 16. Then it goes up again for the quarters and semis, £65-£76. 

3 hours ago, Bally21 said:

Is everyone convinced that Liverpool will beat Villa? I know Villa have lost the last 2, but they are a good side and could be fighting for Europa League/conference.

Also Man United's fixtures are easier than ours without doubt, but their goal difference is poor and they aren't playing well.

Even considering the above we need 6 (maybe 7) points to be certain.

The away fans will back the lads to the hilt.

AT SJP we just need to stay calm and give the team the support we gave them on Sunday.

Taking all of the above into consideration, we've got a very good chance of doing it, and the bookmakers think the same.

HWTL.

I feel like Liverpool have to drop points somewhere surely? They're not playing well enough to go on a 9 game winning streak but they always have the luck of the devil. When I look at the table and fixtures though, I just assume that them and Man U get maximum points.

9 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

2 points more, better goal difference, their form has nose dived

One went to West Ham a month ago and won 5-1, the other just lost 1-0... Plenty to be concerned about.

Edited by 80

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If Man United don't beat Wolves, things could get a bit tasty.

I actually think there's a pretty high chance that all 3 clubs get 70+ points now tbh. I'm quite bullish about it, Leeds haven't become a good team since that fat cunt walked through the door last week, they're awful. Leicester have looked incredibly poor for most of the season and concede for fun, Brighton look like their bubble has burst and got taken apart by a poor team at home and Chelsea haven't give a single fuck all season and won't want to know on the last day. No reason why we can't win each of those fixtures. 10 or 12 points is more than possible but I'd settle for 7 or 8 no worries

2 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

Really surprised we’re that much shorter than Manure.

Yeah, me too. Beth got a bit of stick yesterday for saying they'd rather be in Man Utd's position, but I can see what they mean. Obviously points on the board is a big advantage, as is a superior goal difference, should that be required, and I'd no doubt be twisting if we had their fixtures saying 'Chelsea have the players to beat anyone on their day' etc. but I probably would have been a bit more confident if we had 4 matches against midtable teams going for nothing, and 3 of them at home.

Odds are generally more objective than subjective so from a neutral perspective we clearly are in the better position, but their run in does look more favourable, although I guess key players missing and an FA Cup final on the horizon would probably be taken into consideration.

They are generally 1/4 across the board as opposed to the quoted 1/3, and Liverpool are generally 13/8 or 7/4 instead of 2/1.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish

Edited by Paullow

Re the CL gates.

You had to apply for the tickets you wanted all at once and it was very expensive, in fact the first time I realised how expensive it all got just seeing season tickets as a tax. Putting in for an away game for me meant blowing off one of the home games.

Very few teams sold out their games back then - that includes Liverpool, Rangers, both Milan's, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona.*

There's no other explanation as to why Rangers would get 45,000 against Motherwell at the weekend and 33,000 against Dortmund in the CL.

*Liverpool's first game in the Champions League was 30,000 (less than what they got for Grimsby a month later - though they often got really poor cup gates even when they were dominant) - they only sold out twice in eight home games.

Edited by Wolfcastle

23 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, me too. Beth got a bit of stick yesterday for saying they'd rather be in Man Utd's position, but I can see what they mean. Obviously points on the board is a big advantage, as is a superior goal difference, should that be required, and I'd no doubt be twisting if we had their fixtures saying 'Chelsea have the players to beat anyone on their day' etc. but I probably would have been a bit more confident if we had 4 matches against midtable teams going for nothing, and 3 of them at home.

Odds are generally more objective than subjective so from a neutral perspective we clearly are in the better position, but their run in does look more favourable, although I guess key players missing and an FA Cup final on the horizon would probably be taken into consideration.

They are generally 1/4 across the board as opposed to the quoted 1/3, and Liverpool are generally 13/8 or 7/4 instead of 2/1.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish

Our odds of finishing 3rd are double that of Man Utd. Our odds of finishing top 4 are almost the same as the odds of City winning the title, which everyone assumes is a done deal.