The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Same for me. 
Realistically 7th to 9th with fingers crossed for above that as outside chance(5th being ceiling)

If I had to plump for a finishing position, then I would say 8th look’s about favourite for me.

Think this gets put to bed for a season or two (as in top four).

Whatever gets us into Europe, and by that I mean the Conference league will be considered a success in my books. Playing with an almost first 11 of players out for half a season would cripple any club. CL football was fantastic while it lasted, even if it didn't work out, but it's wetted my appetite for any form of European contest now.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Whatever gets us into Europe, and by that I mean the Conference league will be considered a success in my books. Playing with an almost first 11 of players out for half a season would cripple any club. CL football was fantastic while it lasted, even if it didn't work out, but it's wetted my appetite for any form of European contest now.

Of course it isn't the money and exposure of the Champions League, but I've had people say to me a lot this year "Why are you so arsed, it's only the Conference League". It's a fucking trophy, a European trophy FFS. Not only that, it's not really meant to have big, rich clubs in it, so we've got a really good chance of winning it, as has any English side in it.

If you were in it next season, I'd absolutely lump on you to win it, as did I on us, and as did I think about doing (but errr, forget) for West Ham last year.

26 minutes ago, brummie said:

Of course it isn't the money and exposure of the Champions League, but I've had people say to me a lot this year "Why are you so arsed, it's only the Conference League". It's a fucking trophy, a European trophy FFS. Not only that, it's not really meant to have big, rich clubs in it, so we've got a really good chance of winning it, as has any English side in it.

If you were in it next season, I'd absolutely lump on you to win it, as did I on us, and as did I think about doing (but errr, forget) for West Ham last year.

Chances of winning it aside, how have you enjoyed the UCL experience so far?

28 minutes ago, brummie said:

Win it or not, I just love being part of the European football scene. To me playing Dinamo Zagreb is almost as exciting as playing AC Milan. They are still big clubs in there, and if anything they are more our match at this stage of our rebuild. It's a long way from battling to stay out the relegation zones of the PL for the 15 years under the previous ownership.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Chances of winning it aside, how have you enjoyed the UCL experience so far?

It has been good.

A couple of my mates did all the away matches, had some great experiences, which reminded me of great European away trips from the past.

It's also not piss-easy. I mean, it's not PSG, Dortmund and Milan, but away in Bosnia (apparently the best of the away trips) and at Legia Warsaw were challenging. Alkmaar too, I guess.

It just makes the season more interesting, too.

And I'll love it if we win it.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Win it or not, I just love being part of the European football scene. To me playing Dinamo Zagreb is almost as exciting as playing AC Milan. They are still big clubs in there, and if anything they are more our match at this stage of our rebuild. It's a long way from battling to stay out the relegation zones of the PL for the 15 years under the previous ownership.

Exactly.

We had some great away days in the past. Bilbao, Milan, Berlin, Moscow, and of course some success too. We hadn't been in Europe since 2010, so that's a whole generation who've never had the chance. Good for them, I watch all the YouTube blogs they do and go on those trips vicariously through them.

Over a decade of watching absolute fucking dog shit football, with owners who didn't give a shit and players who were even worse (Agbonlahor and Richards can fuck off as far as I am concerned).

Like you said, it's miles better than how things used to be.

Edited by brummie

Good to hear.

Have said this a thousand times so apologies for the repetition but I swear to God it's that fucking name. :lol: There's very much a ceiling to the amount of prestige and gravitas you can achieve when your competition has fecking 'Conference' in its title. I get they don't want to undermine the magnitude of the bigger ticket competitions, but Conference? Really? 

It's a tautology as well. In this context, a conference is a league; hence 'Football Conference' pre-Vanarama.

Stupid, shit name. 

Yeah, but having said that, it's better than the "Carabao Cup" and everyone would like to win that.

Remember when it was the Milk Cup? The Rumbelows Cup?

What happened to the Watneys Shield too?

Obviously we just want to finish as high as possible, but I think 6th/7th are the realistic targets now. We're in a good position for 7th, we should be looking to finish above West Ham and keep Brighton/Chelsea behind. ManU are unpredictable, great if we could pip them to 6th.

5 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Obviously we just want to finish as high as possible, but I think 6th/7th are the realistic targets now. We're in a good position for 7th, we should be looking to finish above West Ham and keep Brighton/Chelsea behind. ManU are unpredictable, great if we could pip them to 6th.

Worth noting that we still have Spurs, West Ham and Brighton all to play at SJP. No reason why we can't beat all of those 3 and finish 7th at worst from here on in. 

I feel 7th would have been about par this season so, given all the shit we've had to deal with, that's reasonably good. If it happens

7 points from 3 games is a pretty good return, especially as most would have expected the first of those to be an easy loss

Got some tough away fixtures, especially Arsenal away so not sure we'll go on one of those Eddie runs of 6/7 wins on the bounce but as long as we go on some mini runs we should be finishing in a European spot

Just could do with no more injuries and some key players getting back 

I'd definitely take 7th if offered, but hopefully we can push for 6th. Top 5 does look beyond us with the injuries, players available, lengthy gap, and will be really hard for us to win like 7 out of 8 matches likes we did on a couple of occasions last year. Don't often say this, but hopefully Villa win tomorrow, and of course Arsenal in the 2pm game vs West Ham.

We won't finish top 4 but just tighten up, even slightly and we can edge towards 5th or 6th and that's a successful season.

Momentum is key.

Top 5 is looking set, unless Villa have a massive drop off.

4-5 teams fighting for 6th and 7th, we should definitely be aiming for top 7 which I would have been happy with this season.